The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks —

I have a 2005 Elise with ~34,700 miles on it that I recently purchased from an LT member (first owner) who bought it from, and had it serviced religiously by, Lotus of Atlanta.

I am concerned that the second cam may not be functioning properly. The reason for my concern is that (after the engine is nicely warmed up) as I accelerate past 6,000RPM and on toward 7,000RPM, the power seems nice and strong, but with no real “kick” as I get up to ~6,500RPM or so. When I drove another Elise a few months ago (prior to buying mine), I noticed a strong “kick” as I passed ~6,000 - 6,500 or so, kind of like the mechanical secondaries of a 4bbl carb opening up.

In reading through the archives, I saw a post that seemed to say that if I could rev beyond ~6,200RPM then the second cam was working. Is this correct?

As to symptoms, I have not noticed any strange noises and the MIL is off, so I am not sure that I have a problem (the MIL worked fine when I had it smog checked a couple of months ago). The PPI was performed (including checking the cams) by Lotus of Atlanta at ~31,600 miles (April) and it passed with flying colors.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks!

— Mike

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
does it have the sport ECU (black) or sport elise tune with the lower crossover?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If you have a stock air cleaner/intake and your friend's elise has an aftermarket intake, that could make the difference.

I bought my '05 with an aftermarket air intake and there is significant "kick" at 6200RPM. When I switched the stock air box in (for Solo Stock rules) I noticed a much softer 'kick" at 6200.

That's my experience anyway

Jeff B

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read multiple treads about the cams, and based on what I have read, I do not believe the cam itself is likely an issue as it was checked as part of the PPI performed by Lotus of Atlanta in late April and was given a clean bill of health.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your suggestion.

Thanks!

-- Mike

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have read multiple treads about the cams, and based on what I have read, I do not believe the cam itself is likely an issue as it was checked as part of the PPI performed by Lotus of Atlanta in late April and was given a clean bill of health.

Please let me know if I misunderstood your suggestion.

Thanks!

-- Mike
I bought my 2008 Elise with 17k on it at the same place and the cam was wiped.... they didn't see it. I recommend removing the valve cover and checking for yourself.

Also, yes, if the air box has the snorkle removed, it will be louder and you'll notice the cam change over more.

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked the ECU and it is a grey color, not black.

In checking the records from Lotus of Atlanta, the "ECM update" (campaign 2012/02R) has not been done, however "ECM reflash up to VIN 5HL32911" (campaign 2005/03) has been done. Would this be the sport tune? Is there some way to determine if it has been flashed with the sport (or some other) tune?

-- MIke

·
Ticket Magnet
1,056 Posts
I have a Sport ECU and it is a black case as opposed to a non-Sport I have that is aluminum colored. Regardless, if you don't feel the "kick" and you don't have an SC ECU, there is something wrong. First thing I would try is checking the plugs into the ECU and then running the part number on Google to see what kind it is.

·
shay2nak
25,171 Posts
I checked the ECU and it is a grey color, not black.

In checking the records from Lotus of Atlanta, the "ECM update" (campaign 2012/02R) has not been done, however "ECM reflash up to VIN 5HL32911" (campaign 2005/03) has been done. Would this be the sport tune? Is there some way to determine if it has been flashed with the sport (or some other) tune?

-- MIke
you can take the car to a dyno and see what it measures.

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
Re-Cap plus one idea:
Second cam wiped (almost always illuminated MIL light)
Sport Tune, which moves the cam change-over to a lower point, kick lost
Hydraulic cam switchover failed, you are staying on lower cam
and..
Failed Cam lift bolts, this will keep the second cam from engaging, even if hydraulic unit is fine.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Did you and the car weight the same? (Fuel, roof on/off, passengers) Was ac turned off on both occasions? Was the ambient temps the same? My car feels faster in colder temps and a noticeably less nimble with a passenger.

·
Registered
4,774 Posts
In first gear, it'd take a passenger too massive to fit in the car to mask the step into the second cam. It really, really sounds like you need to ask the one and only owner if he ever had the 2nd cam engagement point lowered. Plenty of talk on here about how the car "feels" slower after that. It's actually quicker, but less dramatic.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
414 Posts
You can check the intake cam fairly easily by removing the valve cover. From what I understand, if the cam is wiped, when you rev past 6K it would feel like you're hitting a soft rev limiter.
I had the problem on my own Elise (2005 as well) but it turned out that the spark plugs were toast and also a couple of connectors were dirty.

If you're wondering still, since you're in Santa Cruz, take your car to Dieshwerks (spelling?). They're on Charcot, close to the brokaw exit on 880.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Re-Cap plus one idea:
Second cam wiped (almost always illuminated MIL light)
My second cam was wiped (not badly yet, but wiped) and I had no symptoms whatsoever besides maybe a bit of diminished top-end power and a bit of a valvetrain tick. Here's what it looked like:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f25/yet-another-wiped-cam-240762/

I strongly recommend inspecting the camshaft in person (enlisting the help of a mechanic if necessary) - pulling and replacing the valve cover isn't a particularly involved task. Run your finger over each intake cam lobe and if they have a ridge on the edges or a lot of roughness, you're in for a replacement.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.