The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I clipped the license plate on my first day after the delivery and I did it again.

After fueling at a nearby gas station, the bottom of the front fender caught some metal on the ground (steep downhill exit) while I was leaving the station. I heard the sound of contact and thought it was just a scratch. After I got home then I realized the damage. I went back to the station and found the piece of Fiberglass sitting on the ground.

I wonder if I can just tape back the piece back to the body. However, there will still be a small hole. I wonder if it will cause any long term rusting or damage to the radiator or other part in the front?

Thanks for your advice

Bert

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to get that but at this time, the only dealer installed option available is the star shield.

I will be getting the guard, driving light and the HID bulb

Bert

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
>>>However, there will still be a small hole. I wonder if it will cause any long term rusting or damage to the radiator or other part in the front? <<<

No effect there in terms of radiator rust or whatever..

This looks like you can repair the damage pretty easily. I've been running around in lowered street cars for years...if an area looks iffy, I don't even bother trying. So I completely avoid certain gas stations, for example. It helps a lot if you slow down and take things at an angle too. For driveways a bit of the sakrete or concrete patch can help a great deal where the driveway meets the road, or at the entrance to a garage. What you do is make a transition area. In my old house with a circular driveway, I could use only one of the sides for a lowered BMW. Once you learn a few habits it helps out a great deal.

BTW what is this scuff protector thing mentioned above? Any pics available?

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
The scuff guard is coming.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
you might be able to have that area "re-glassed", to keep water etc. from getting in there. I think this is important for the long-term viability of the body panels.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
OUCH! That sucks. :( But thankfully it's on the underside and not readily visible. Maybe the aforementioned scuff guard will hide that hole when installed...

Bob

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
I doubt the scuff guard could be designed to prevent damage like that - it looks like the impact was very close to the lower front edge of the clam. The scuff guard would have to extend do, and wrap up around, that edge to protect it. Additionally, it just prevents damage from mild scrapes...the clam underneath may still crack if the deflection is too great.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Also...

With enough front damage like this at a certain moment you start lose rigidity in the front clam as the 'box shape' is damaged.

Treat any sound of 'contact' *very* seriously on the Elise. It gets expensive very rapidly.

Many people in europe mount their license plate a little lower than the front 'ears' on the S2, so if they hear any scraping it will first be the number plate instead of the clam and they can still stop rightaway..

Mounting your license plate with industrial strength velcro is usually a good idea. The plate will come off at impact, but should allow you to stop as you hear it scrape and prevent damaging the clam.

Bye, Arno.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Arno said:
Also...

With enough front damage like this at a certain moment you start lose rigidity in the front clam as the 'box shape' is damaged.

Treat any sound of 'contact' *very* seriously on the Elise. It gets expensive very rapidly.

Many people in europe mount their license plate a little lower than the front 'ears' on the S2, so if they hear any scraping it will first be the number plate instead of the clam and they can still stop rightaway..

Mounting your license plate with industrial strength velcro is usually a good idea. The plate will come off at impact, but should allow you to stop as you hear it scrape and prevent damaging the clam.

Bye, Arno.
Great idea. And that insustrial strength velcro is powerful stuff. I've fashioned a strap inside the the trunk to stop the roof rolling around. Works well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Looks like something like this may help:

bumper protector

It's an aluminum protector that is wrapped in front with black rubber. It runs along the underside of the bumper on my s2k and does an excellent job of taking those kind of scrapes instead of the bumper.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. a lot ofgood advice. This is my first low profile car and I guess I am learning slowly by mistake. will look at the guard and reglass the lip.

Arno, would an insustrial strength velco withstand 90+mph drag?

bert

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Steve W said:
Great idea. And that industrial strength Velcro is powerful stuff. I've fashioned a strap inside the the trunk to stop the roof rolling around. Works well.
More details! And Picture if possible. I haven't tackled this task yet, but I've been kicking it around some ideas for a while...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts