The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start my bike in neutral, pull the clutch in, and let it out while still in neutral, there is a knocking sound and you can smell the clutch burning. It also does this when I put the bike in neutral after riding and let the clutch out.

It does not do it if I let the bike sit for a while, start it, and leave it in neutral without pulling the clutch lever at all.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
The gears are spinning (on most motorcycles and cars) when in neutral. When you pull the clutch, you are releasing the gears from the crank, and they can stop spinning from the drag of the oil. Let the clutch out, and even though you are not in gear, the clutch has to slip a bit to get the gears spinning again.

It would seem that the oil is thick enough when cold to cause an extra bit of drag in there...

Or...

The oil is getting splashed around and/or pumped up to the top end and hasn't had time to drain back down to the bottom of the case...

Are you using the proper oil in the clutch/transmission (most likely clutch/transmission/engine)?

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
He might have a dry clutch which chatters more, the smell I don't get, what kind of bike is it? In every one of my Ducaties over the years in neutral in chatters like an old ladies dentures in the middle of a siberian winter, it's almost embarrasing, until I drop it in the first and let the twins rumble :D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts