The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having trouble shifting from 3rd down to 2nd for a while, and have explored different possible solutions. I removed the GRP shift gate, wondering if it was mis-directing me. I re-installed the reverse-lockout, hoping it would prevent me from moving the stick too far to the left. No joy.

I brought the 2011 Elise R in to get the injector spacers replaced, and while the mechanic was exercising the shifter, the stick just broke off in his hand. He was shocked. I was not. I had been expecting this for weeks, since I kept hitting a hard block going from 3rd to 2nd. I figured I was putting way to much stress on the stick. I started laughing, which I think was a relief to him. As unlucky as this was, I did not break it off in traffic, just a few minutes earlier. Dodged one bullet, took another.

I contacted Dino at Gator Motor Sport, and confirmed that my only option is to purchase a full shifter from Lotus (for about $1K) or go aftermarket (InoKinetic ShiftR111 or the Dolomiti). I have a ShiftR111 in my 2005 Elise, and it was not an easy install, especially the reverse lockout adjustment. I have a Dolomiti on order, but it is not due until January.

I opted to buy a new full shifter from Lotus for the $1K; I should have it in a week or 10 days. In the spring I expect that I will sell this shifter, slightly used, after the Dolomiti arrives. And if @agentdr8 succeeds in 3D printing replacement parts for the shift stick, I will then have a second used shifter available for sale.

Electronic instrument Audio equipment Circuit component Computer hardware Gadget

Body jewelry Gas Cameras & optics Jewellery Circle

Automotive tire Bicycle part Tire Rim Gas

·
Less is Better
3,332 Posts
Definitely a lucky place to have a break. I had the main oil feed line in my Rx7 explode while idling at the mechanic's shop while he was doing other work. I couldn't have been happier.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Very good pics. I estimate 2.25mm wall thickness of main hollow shaft, where the small cross-gate pin ball shaft goes through. Are you able to measure and confirm?
Main shaft OD is 12mm and small shaft is 7.5mm OD?

In your first pic, the small crack in the blue ball in line with the small shaft seems to be the first indicator of impending failure.

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
What is all that silver fleck in the photos Jon?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Catsailr27 I had a GRP shift gate, and I think the metal bits were from the stick grinding away at the gate plate. Perhaps I could wrap the stick where it meets the plane of the gate with teflon tape to try to reduce this in the future. The metal bits did not seem to cause any problems. No grinding or grittiness.

I wonder whether, as the ball and socket and shift stick started to fail, the geometry changed subtly, causing me to miss shifts more often, increasing stress on the system. Has anyone else noticed similar symptoms just prior to the ball failing?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts