The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I received my DMV car registration renewal for the 06 Exige and it WENT WAY UP!!! -eek- . Last year I paid $348, this year the bill is $568 WTF. I drive the car once a month if that.

Thank you CA. What other surprises are we to get?

What are you CA Lotus owners paying? Is this a mistake (wishful thinking) :confused:

·
Failed at Self Control
653 Posts
2007 Elise - $411

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Yesterday I received my DMV car registration renewal for the 06 Exige and it WENT WAY UP!!! -eek- . Last year I paid $348, this year the bill is $568 WTF. I drive the car once a month if that.

What are you CA Lotus owners paying? Is this a mistake (wishful thinking) :confused:
They increased rates as part of the new "budget", and I use that term very loosely. Income tax and sales tax went up too.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
It's getting ridiculous to live here. I can't wait to see what my renewals are going to be. Our sales tax is going up next week too.

I think in the next statewide election, we should vote out EVERYONE with "incumbent" next to their name.

:mad:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts

I've read on another car forum that CARB is debating whether to regulate car colors because of the amount of CO2 needed to cool dark colors like black with AC. This isn't -poke- sarcasm, it is on the agenda for debate on the CARB site. California Uber Alles!

·
Registered
545 Posts
Here in Colorado we are paying additional "fees" based on weight on vehicle.
Read, another friggin tax. Thanks man..... thanks.

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
in az our renewals go DOWN each year as the car ages:)
cali sucks in so many ways, but they have nice racetracks that i can drive 55 mph on the freeway(because my rig has 3 axles) to get to them while on Cali roads.

·
Premium Member
12,195 Posts

That's almost $50 a drive. Only one solution: Use it more.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts

You may want to look into that...mine was only $408 on an 07 Exige S. Sounds like something was not paid, or carried over.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Arnold (R) giveth, and Arnold taketh away. He rolled back the licensing fees when he won the election, and reinstated them now to help cover the huge CA deficit.

·
Registered
7,610 Posts
Arnold (R) giveth, and Arnold taketh away. He rolled back the licensing fees when he won the election, and reinstated them now to help cover the huge CA deficit.
I'm surprise no ones started a recall on the Governator.

Sale tax goes to 9.25% on April 1st and registration goes up on May 1st. Shockwave, when does your registration expire?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I hate to see it also, as we have 4 cars to license, but the license fee is only returning to what is was before the state had a budget surplus. The VHF used to always be 2% of a car's value. It was reduced in the Wilson administration to 0.65% because the state was riding high on the tech boom, and there was a big surplus. When the ecomomy tanked after the tech bust, Davis tried to "restore" the VLF to attempt to get the state out of the budget mess. Which of course ended his political career.

I hate to say it, but what is killing us - the elephant in the room - is one of the state's biggest revenue generators, property tax, the lowest anywhere... 1/3rd of other populated states like NY and Illinois, and about 1/4th that of Texas! That combined with 200,000 foreclosures last year alone, over 10% unemployment, and almost every sector of the economy in trouble... it's inevitable that we're going to have to pay somewhere.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
2009 Nobrand Invisi-car: $0 :D

But joking aside, that is a lot mate...CA is really messed up with this, that's why I like the East Coast!

Exactly... the East Coast, where property taxes are 2 to 4 times higher than California's!! :panic:

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
in az our renewals go DOWN each year as the car ages:)
They've been going down every year here as well. but just last month Arnold signed the new bill to significantly raise it.

"New legislation authorizes the Department of Motor Vehicles to increase the Vehicle License Fee (VLF) from 0.65 percent to 1.15 percent, when registration fees are due on or after May 19, 2009 for"

·
Registered
259 Posts
Wow! Have the renewals alway been so much in California? I'm from Texas and all of my cars have been $50 to $75. My Miata, Jeep and Exige are all the same. Is the cost there based on value? I'm in shock that you guys have to pay this much!

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
hmmm, my cars cost $36 for registration, the property taxes on my home and 16 acres is approaching $2000!
yearly auto inspection runs ~$24 and the epa BS runs about the same.
hotel california is a little pricey...:thwack:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,690 Posts
05 Elise Michigan: 179.00 Yeah ..............PA is the place to be !!

·
Registered
506 Posts
For my 1970 Dodge Charger R/T 440 CA registration for 2009 was $87.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts