The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Wow! -eek- You can buy a brand new one from lotus for nearly half that amount.

·
Super Moderator
4,038 Posts
Wow! -eek- You can buy a brand new one from lotus for nearly half that amount.
I checked about 2012 - it was about $1400 with shipping new from a Lotus dealer in the NorthEast USA. Note that 2012 is a long time ago (front Nova wheels were still in stock, etc.). :facepalm

So while that $1999 is a bit high, maybe Lotus no longer carries it in stock - 2004 is 10 years since the last Esprit rolled out. :rolleyes:

I ended up buying a used glass top - very nice.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I paid $1072 CDN (new seal & taxes & shipping included) in Feb. 2011. That was 3 years ago now and you could be right about the lack of stock now. I do see that the ad also includes "a bag" (hopefully the factory leather bag), so it may not be too terrible after all. But you still might want to check with Lotus first if you're looking for one.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The bag is not available anymore the glass is but all the parts you need are sold separately

·
Registered
480 Posts
JAE sells the top and brackets and such I thought for about $800....

The guy with the ebay auction is totally mental on his pricing....

Brian

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
I sent an email to JAE, asking for clarification on the price of a new top. Here is the response:

Good morning Don

We sold one to a customer with all the clips and stuff new one for $1350.00 approx.

If your used one is in a great condition and yes it would be for $800.00 if you have all the bits for it.

Regards

Jay

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea I got mine for 1000 off craigslist but i got the leather bag as well 500 is a good price now if i can find one more Nova wheel I will be set LOL

·
Wingless Wonder
1988 Esprit Turbo
6,095 Posts
Leather bag?

I didn't know the roof bags were leather!

I just checked mine, it doesn't FEEL like leather. (At least, it's not as supple as the seats) :confused:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Was there a separate sleeve / bag for the wind deflector piece? It seems to be the part on my car that takes the most abuse. Was going to get a sleeve made for it, but my local upholstery dude is backed up due to the flooding we had here.

Glad I spent a bit of effort to get the spare roof pieces from the PO. They were deep in his garage when I bought the car.

Stu

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Was there a separate sleeve / bag for the wind deflector piece? It seems to be the part on my car that takes the most abuse. Was going to get a sleeve made for it, but my local upholstery dude is backed up due to the flooding we had here.

Glad I spent a bit of effort to get the spare roof pieces from the PO. They were deep in his garage when I bought the car.

Stu
There never was anything for the deflector. You can get a fabric tube like a big sock and just slip it over it. The bag IS vinyl and is worth about $100. The glass top with all the hardware is worth around $1200 in good shape. The panel top isn't in big demand. Probably because often it has to be repainted. Seems like when a car is sold the seller holds back some parts to sell separately occasionally.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
When my PO purchased the car I own now there was no bag for the roof to be stored in the boot. A clever guy he is, went to a local art shop and purchased a canvas 'artist' bag. Has two compartments, one for placing heat shielding and one for the roof. Works great plus it has a carry handle which makes placing the roof in much easier.

Wish I could get a glass roof for my 'G' car. My Audi S6 has one and I love it plus it has a slide cover inside if I do not want the sun.

Robert

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I prefer the glass top, it makes the interior a little less claustrophobic. The disadvantage is it gets hotter if you leave the car in the sun.
David Teitelbaum

·
Registered
480 Posts
I prefer the glass top, it makes the interior a little less claustrophobic. The disadvantage is it gets hotter if you leave the car in the sun.
David Teitelbaum
My car came with both the composite roof which was on when I bought it and the glass one as well. Living in Florida where it gets hot, I was reluctant to change over to the glass roof but after a year or so I made the switch and glad I did.

The glass roof is heavily tinted and I really don't get that much extra solar gain in the cabin even in strong sunshine and you can always tilt it open when parked. In addition the glass roof gives you almost an extra inch of headroom and as David says makes the cabin appear to be roomier and more open.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts