The Lotus Cars Community banner
  • Hi there! Why not register as a user to enjoy all of the benefits of the site? You may register here. When you register, please pick a username that is non-commercial. If you use a name that appears on any search engine commercially, you must pick another name, whether it applies to you or not. Commercial usernames are for supporting vendor use only. If you want to become a supporting vendor and grow your business, please follow this link. Thanks!

Another dash option, dash2 + dl1

7K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  polojcp 
#1 ·
I helped race-technology implement the canbus stuff for the lotus, so one of the guys locally bought a setup from them, and i'm helping with the install.

I just got it up and running on the bench, it looks like a rats nest but thats all coming from the complete front side harness i have on the test bench, and i have the dash2, aim mxl and a motec all wired up (the motec isn't ready yet since i'm awaiting an adapter, hoping that one will be next)

Since its me doing it for the owner, its a complete plug and play setup, you pull off the cluster, disconnect the two plugs and plug in the dl1/dash2 and thats it.

Obviously if you need stuff the can bus or cluster doesn't support, you'll have to wire that in, otherwise you won't, you can input the various warning lights too.

And if you wanted to put the stock cluster back, unplug the dash2 and plug in the cluster, thats all there is too it (well taking the dash apart is another story)

Its a smaller unit that the Aim/Motec, but its quite clear and has a fair few options and its a lot cheaper setup.

( I get no kickback/money from race tech, just did it to help expand the options for people, i've helped with the pi research, aim , race tech and working on the motec )

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hopefully when i get back from Houston the stupid parallel port adapter for the Motec will have shown up, then i can get that monkey off my back and in the hands of the owner.

Then back to the Aim :) so far its been the easiest system to work with.

#6 ·
What about odometer stuff?

#9 ·
Well i made the software work mostly, its bizzare software though, i can't get my head around it, all sorts of translations, i can't find a nice simple way to set a 1:1 on anything, blergh.

i made a CAN OBD II firmware for the 06-07 S's, it works nicely on that, just click 'obd ii' mode and off it goes, not quite the same for the regular mode though :) nice in that you get TPS and a few other things in that mode.

I'll have to figure it all out, since RT are talking to me about being the lotus go to guy, i'm having seconds thoughts ! :)

#10 ·
Wired up and ready to go in the car, i've already removed the stock cluster.

This is totally pug and play, it connects to the harness in place of the stock cluster, thats all you have to do and off it goes, again if you need something thats not on the stock cluster wiring or can, you have to add it ! :)

I left lots of wiring space for fitment, if i do go ahead and build more harnesses, i'll probably just cut down all the interconnects that it comes with, it'll make it a lot tidier.

Attachments

#11 ·
Given that I did this the hard way (or maybe the easy way since what you did seems hard to me;)), I gotta say that this is really cool. Wish it were around when I wired mine in...

Impressive!

Phil

#12 ·
It was just as my dash verison :) This is just a different dash, or did you use the dash2 as well , i thought you'd used a different one.

I'm currently wiring up the rest of the cluster functions, indicators, abs, oil warning, TC warning and brake light, i'm not sure if i can replicate the stock cluster 100% but i'm going to give it my best shot, unfortunately the owner will need his car back tomorrow, so i hope to be finished up with the hardware tonight.

#13 ·
Ya, I did Dash2 as well...

Not sure if it helps, but don't forget to wire the lights to the HVAC controls... You probably wouldn't, just dbl checking... the Brake light is a backward switch as far as the Dash2's brake light is concerned compared to the stock dash... Everything else you can replicate if I remember right... It's pretty inclusive unit, as you know.... I must say the new racepack unit looks pretty swanky and has me dbl thinking an upgrade, but I can't really complain about the RT stuff other than that the crappy connector on the back of the DL-1:(

Again, looks like you've got the cleanliness of the install down pat:up:

Later,
Phil

#14 ·
Install test in the car, making sure everything works before i wrap it with waterproof automotive harness wrap, all the connectors/connections are shrink wrapped first.

left and right indicators work, you get two independant ones now, instead of just the one! high beam indicator works, parking brake i didn't test since the car doesn't seem to have one.

I haven't figured out a simple way of incorporating the dimmer yet, it is possible i just have to think about it a bit.

the other two boxes are from a previous unit

you can see the two main connections, the blue tabbed one is the primary cluster, the one above it white/black is just the CAN bus, all the other wiring is part of the dash unit itself.

There is no HVAC or parking brake, as this is a dedicated track car.Do you have the old DL1 or the new one, green or black connectors ?

Attachments

#18 ·
Ya, that's where I got, but without the cleanliness of the connectors and canbus. That's pretty neat for sure...

My DL-1 is, I believe, the newer variant with black connectors. The connector is removable from the back of the unity and has spring loaded clips for the wires. I think I'd rather have "real" crimped pins with flying leads so that I could solder or crimp the flying leads to my sensory inputs rather than the wire clip setup they use:rolleyes:

Short of that hicky, the RT system seems pretty decent for someone that wants a street legal dash, and better yet now that you have it PnP...

oh one other problem- the ODO doesn't work off the GPS... that's not very cool IMO... I wish they would come up with a firmware update so that it would...:(

Later,

Phil

#15 ·
so since a couple of the inputs are the opposite of whats needed, and even though this car doesn't need them, i figured might as well fix it.

couple of minutes routing around in the old parts bin and et voila one of the core basics of electronics the humble not gate.

two resistors and a transistor, for the massive cost of about .50c, well not even that since i actually bought those resistors/transistors from jdr microdevices in campbell, ca in approx 1997 for an entirely different project, pack rat FTW.

i'll throw a couple of sets on a bit of pcb and inline it with the signals i want to change.

Attachments

#20 ·
If I'm following this correctly, I think it all comes through CAN via the ECU...

We need to collectively call RT and make a case for that firmware update... Maybe CX can make a case for it too??? :D

#23 ·
I made up the inverter for the signals that aren't the same, i think a 1/4w resisitor will be fine, i left one on the bench all day with a decent load and it only got warm.

nice and simple mod, i put the two resistors onto the transistor, wrapped them in heat shrink, then a large piece of heat shrink over the whole thing, it makes it pretty strong overall, i wouldn't fly an aircraft using it but it'll be fine for a dash light.

12v/gnd red/black
output yellow
input/green

I'll leave it under load for a while and see how it performs, its just a run of the mill npn transistor.

Attachments

#26 ·
i'm still finalising it on robbs car, racetech were supposed to setup their software after i did all the hardware and sent them the protocol information, but they haven't so muggins here is doing it instead.

planning to go out and do it on friday.

#28 ·
Charlie,

I've owned several Elise/Exige varriants and now own a 2-Eleven. If you think the binnacle on an Elise/Exige is poor, think of it on a 2-Eleven that obviously is open top and driven by someone as tall as I am. It's useless. Several UK owners have tried to install the Dash2 and DL1 as you are with, I think, little immediate success. Nick Adams of Lotus Cars finally determined that the correct interface for the 2-Eleven is RT's Serial OBD System. I have the 2-Eleven at Auto Europe for service and asked them to look into installing the RT system in place of the OEM dash. They have found, apparently as you have, that the AIM system is much more "install" friendly than is the RT system. Like you also said, the RT system is far less expensive than is the AIM system, install and frustrations not included. Will your work go for not or are you either selling your findings to RT or are you going to be able to offer we users directly the correct interface for the RT system? I'm assuming that the 2-Eleven and the Elise/Exige should require the basic same interface. Thanks for all of your work and contributions to the forum.

Bill

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.