The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here's another side scoop mesh option for you guys. I was always driven crazy by the side mesh not matching the mesh on the rest of the car. So I fixed it! Here's what I did (My first attempt at documenting and sharing a project!):

Step 1. Get yourself an Exige grill and bend the bent parts flat so you have the necessary surface area from which to cut your new grills. Remove the side pods. Spend an hour or so in the sun figuring out the orientation of the mesh you want and measuring the mesh dimensions of the stock grill necessary to make the new grill. Make sure the mesh pattern mirrors on the other side!

Step 2. Once your measurements are made, get a frosty glass and fill it with your favorite beer as you start cutting the silicon to remove the stock mesh. Spend hours swearing and trying not to cut yourself. Use a sharp knife!

Step 3. Spend hours with pliers and tin snips trying to hand mold the wire before becoming frustrated, taking a break, and sulking at your desk for an hour or so.

Step 4. With renewed vigor, swallow pride and stop trying to poorly reinvent the wheel, follow the steps for making a mesh mold using wood, a jig saw, a couple screws and a rubber mallet found here:

http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/how-exige-scoop-grills-57901/

Step 5. After doing it right this time, fit the mesh into your scoop and 100mph tape it down to test for fit first in the scoop, then on the car. Make minor adjustments as necessary.

Step 6. With both sides molded and tested on the car for fit, silicon goo it in place and leave to cure. Almost done!

Step 7. Once cured, install on car and enjoy!

I hope this was both mildly entertaining and informative, happy modding!

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
And what are the chances of getting you to scan in your template, maybe showing one or two measurements?

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
You are missing a step between 3 and 4 - I don't understand how to "renew my vigor" nor "swallow my pride" - could you provide step-by-step instructions or a web link? Also, I am quite good at reinventing the wheel, what are the implications of me continuing this? Will it cause damage to my car?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And what are the chances of getting you to scan in your template, maybe showing one or two measurements?
I'll post a picture or two of my work. Scale might be an issue and I don't have a legal sized scanning bed, so I created a relative scale on the template you can use to line up two scans.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
thanks!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You are missing a step between 3 and 4 - I don't understand how to "renew my vigor" nor "swallow my pride" - could you provide step-by-step instructions or a web link? Also, I am quite good at reinventing the wheel, what are the implications of me continuing this? Will it cause damage to my car?
Haha! Did you do a search? :D I think the trick was to drink more in order to forget how difficult it was up to that point and trigger the laziness within;

Step 3.1. Put a large cube of ice in a highball glass
Step 3.2. Put a small amount of dry vermouth on the ice, swirl it around and dump any excess while still retaining the cube.
Step 3.3. Fill glass to taste with gin of choice, stir.
Step 3.4. Consume and let the forgetting begin!
Step 3.5. Once your desire to finish the project overwhelms your memory of how difficult it was cutting that bloody siliconed mesh off and you acknowledge that what seems to be more work (i.e. making molds of wood with saws and clamps and stuff) is actually WAY easier than bending mesh with a Leatherman, consider your vigor renewed and your pride either subdued and/or swallowed and you're ready to drive on!
Step 3.6. Repeat as necessary until project is completed. But don't play with jig saws until sober! Drunk-sawing would be bad form.

Implications and/or dangers? Too much drinky and 3rd grade project results! ('A' for effort, but project ultimately ends up in trash)

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I cannot tell you how stoked I am that 4 years later, people are still getting use out of my http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f157/how-exige-scoop-grills-57901/ thread.

Yes, it's a bit more work to create the wood molds, but it works so well!
Thanks for the thread! (Oh and my scoops still look factory 4 years later...)
Cheers,
Skottoman

·
Registered
211 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 13 of 13 Posts