The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, it wasn't there when I looked earlier, I must be blind. Sorry.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Thats what happens when you spend too much time looking at CO pics:)

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ivan1 said:
Thats what happens when you spend too much time looking at CO pics:)
That's even funnier considering what I do.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Hang on a minute.....So people are willing to pay $8,000 just for the right to buy the car and then pay for the car on top of the $8,000?

Whomever is selling that car knows enough about it....I think its someone from one of the lists or message boards.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OneFastMiata said:

Whomever is selling that car knows enough about it....I think its someone from one of the lists or message boards.
That was my impression and why it cought my eye initially. It is certainly different that the other doofuses who have been listing things.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Seven people have bid on this, starting at $5,000 and reaching $8,100 and still haven't reached the reserve price!

So why bother starting an auction at a low price that you won't accept?

I know that Ebay claims that bids are binding, but they aren't if you haven't hit the reserve. I think that people are just playing around, i.e., it's amusing to bid $8000 for an item when you don't have to buy it.

I have no experience with Ebay, but I doubt that they can force you to pay for an item even if you participate in and win an auction. Even in the real world, I've seen people win auctions then fail to purchase the item (no doubt, the WTF did we just do reaction).

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
jml1952 said:
Seven people have bid on this, starting at $5,000 and reaching $8,100 and still haven't reached the reserve price!

So why bother starting an auction at a low price that you won't accept?
Because eBay bidders follow certain traits. If you wanted $10 and asked for $10, you will get fewer bids than starting at $1 and letting people bid it up. The reserve allows the seller to make sure that there is a minimum that he has to sell it for. Silly, but it works.

I know that Ebay claims that bids are binding, but they aren't if you haven't hit the reserve. I think that people are just playing around, i.e., it's amusing to bid $8000 for an item when you don't have to buy it.

If you want to play around, you would not know if your bid was the one that pushed it over the reserve though. To really play around, bid $100,000 then it will hit the reserve, and you will know what it is. Then retract the bid as a typo error or something. Ebay frowns on that, but it's done to figure out the reserve.

I have no experience with Ebay, but I doubt that they can force you to pay for an item even if you participate in and win an auction. Even in the real world, I've seen people win auctions then fail to purchase the item (no doubt, the WTF did we just do reaction).
Right. Ebay can only remove your user name from active membership. After 3 no-pays I think. The seller can come after you, but it's very doubtful that they would.

I spent way too much time selling on ebay at one time.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
Sold/bought on ebay a lot over the years, Randy'r right. I could put an item with no reserve and minimum bid and not get a single bidder. Same item I could put up with a reserve (same as the previous min.) but starting lower and will get action, it's a psychological thing.
Chris

·
Registered
6,301 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Randy Chase said:
Because eBay bidders follow certain traits. If you wanted $10 and asked for $10, you will get fewer bids than starting at $1 and letting people bid it up. The reserve allows the seller to make sure that there is a minimum that he has to sell it for. Silly, but it works.

If you want to play around, you would not know if your bid was the one that pushed it over the reserve though. To really play around, bid $100,000 then it will hit the reserve, and you will know what it is. Then retract the bid as a typo error or something. Ebay frowns on that, but it's done to figure out the reserve.

Right. Ebay can only remove your user name from active membership. After 3 no-pays I think. The seller can come after you, but it's very doubtful that they would.

I spent way too much time selling on ebay at one time. [/B]
Thanks, Randy. Actually, I realized after posting why people start low. My wife and I have purchased a lot of paintings and antiques at auction, and it can work that way. However, most of the good auction houses that we dealt with often sold stuff without a reserve, assuming that the dealers in the audience would bid items up to a reasonable minimum. The really high-end items typically have a reserve though.

I'm thinking about getting a Lotus-only parking sign from E-bay. There are about five different versions available. Haven't decided if I want to pay $20 + shipping to buy it now for the one I like the most (it's a little wierd - one seller has an auction starting at $20, but you can buy it now for $20, so why bid?).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts