The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That can't happen. There are no team orders if F1.

I think I even said that with a straight face. rotfl

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That can't happen. There are no team orders if F1.
Its one thing ordering a driver to slow down just enough to be passed by the other teammate but crashing on purpose :panic:? Whats next? Ordering a driver to take out another competitor? Not that it has never happened before I'm sure.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Intentional crashing happens. We have video proof of it in V8Supercars.

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
How would the orders be relayed to Nelson though, in the middle of the race?

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
It's all very weird.

The timing, coming after Piquet's sacking, sort of makes me think the story came from him or at least his "people" (why else would this have taken so long to come to the attention of the FIA?)...but surely Nelson must know that he would be at least as badly damaged from this story as Flavio and Renault ? I would think it would finish him in racing (he could have come to the US and done alright in Indycar or NASCAR, even if he was not a star in F1)

I wouldn't be surprised if there ends up being not much to this story, but still where did it come from ?

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I'm sure Piquet let it slipped out without thinking what that would do to his career. I think his career is basically over now.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Holy smoke !

It sounds like more than something he just made up, and if it happened as he says, there are several witnesses who would be able to corroborate his version of these events. Either way, it seems pretty clear he's out to destroy Flavio's reputation, at the least, if not the Renault team in general. I still wonder about his motivation for bringing it out now....

·
Premium Member
29,081 Posts
Crap. Timing sucks for me. I will be at Renault in UK in 5 days. Bet they are not happy.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I wonder if Pete Rose knew about this.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
didnt he just get fired mid season.
Yes he did, but this is still not a very smart career move. Maybe he's just felt super-guilty about it (assuming it's true, for the sake of argument) and wants to do the right thing, but it doesn't say much for the character of anyone involved.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe he's just felt super-guilty about it (assuming it's true, for the sake of argument) and wants to do the right thing, but it doesn't say much for the character of anyone involved.
I highly doubt that is the case. Its obvious that he wants to get back at Renault for firing him. I'm sure they promised him a seat in 2009 in exchange for "taking one for the team". Now that they broke their promise, he comes out talking. Now Piquet's career is basically over. His father should have know better.

·
Registered
7,251 Posts
It's hard to believe that his father either was not consulted or ever approved such. If Piquet did this he has no place in motorsport in any level above Saturday night dirt tracks in front of drunk ******** (like me and most of my relatives).

Unless we now discover that it's all fixed anyway. :evil:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts