The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Lotusheads,

Eric-the-Bastard here. After 10 years of thrills and heartbreaks :wallbang:(in roughly equal proportion) of motoring around in a 1966 Jaguar E-type (XKE Data - 1E32177), I've decided to finally give up my anachronistic ways (carburretors, film, analog tape, etc...) and get a new Elise SC.

I took my first demonstration ride today in an SC model sans sport package at Newport European, courtesy of Kevin Smith. The car was nothing short of GLORIOUS. Yes the ride is considerably more choppy than the vintage Jaguar, but not harsh in the least. There were no rattles or vibrations (the demo had 1800 miles on the odo) and the sounds were fantastic. I thought I might find the 4 cylinder unpleasantly buzzy after so many years with the inherent perfect balance of a DOHC inline 6, but this was not the case whatsoever. It was silky and growly and the sound of the blower was uniquely satisfying. And when the second cam came in, WOW!

I though I would have mixed feelings and remorse giving up the E-type (I saved for 14 years to acquire it, mortgaged the farm for another 30 to restore it from the ground up and have put myself in serious debt maintaining it), but I find the Elise, like the Jaguar E-type has it's own unique blend of rarity, charisma, iconoclasm, heritage, speed and beauty. The mill may be somewhat pedestrian in origin and presentation, but it does it's work beautifully. It will certainly be a lifelong relationship.

...Now if I could only figure out what color to order!!!!

Cheers,
EtB
Sylmar, CA

P.S. Kevin and Newport European are a first rate operation. I was encouraged to use the car as intended and really take some time with it, so that I could get a solid picture of living with it. Kevin really knows the car and isn't the usual smarmy s.o.b. you find at most dealerships.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
Just make sure you get some shade of blue...:evil:

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,688 Posts
Umm..... Excuse me........Chrome Orange IS the only color to get ! People SEE you.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
welcome F'n new guy :wave:

sweeeet jag, are you going to sell it or keep it as a collectible?

your going to find everything you need to know about the elise here.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm normally a low key sort of guy, but Chrome Orange is at the top of my list. Not for the 'HEY, Look at ME!' factor, but for the 'HEY, Don't Run Me Over' factor. It's also emblematic of the heydey of sports cars in the late 60s/early 70s. Remember all those wild Porsche and Lamborghini colors? Well, Lamborghini obviously does.

Storm Titanium is a close second, but I'd do a custom set of green racing stripes. I never thought I'd own a red anything, but Ardent Red just makes the lines on these cars PERFECT.

If anybody has a link to some pics of a Liquid Blue or Persian Blue Elise WITHOUT the top on, I'd like to have a good look at those options.

I love the car so much that I'm not set on a color. I'll probably take the first available with my choice of options. I've always loved 246 Dinos and think the 308GTS is aging rather elegantly, but am over having to constantly fiddle with old cars and I really don't want to grow a moustache. The Elise gives me everything I love about those cars (except pretty aluminum castings under the bonnet, but I like the tradeoff).

Cheers,
EtB

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome.

I'm normally a low key sort of guy, but Chrome Orange is at the top of my list. Not for the 'HEY, Look at ME!' factor, but for the 'HEY, Don't Run Me Over' factor. It's also emblematic of the heydey of sports cars in the late 60s/early 70s. Remember all those wild Porsche and Lamborghini colors? Well, Lamborghini obviously does.

Storm Titanium is a close second, but I'd do a custom set of green racing stripes. I never thought I'd own a red anything, but Ardent Red just makes the lines on these cars PERFECT.

If anybody has a link to some pics of a Liquid Blue or Persian Blue Elise WITHOUT the top on, I'd like to have a good look at those options.

I love the car so much that I'm not set on a color. I'll probably take the first available with my choice of options. I've always loved 246 Dinos and think the 308GTS is aging rather elegantly, but am over having to constantly fiddle with old cars and I really don't want to grow a moustache. The Elise gives me everything I love about those cars (except pretty aluminum castings under the bonnet, but I like the tradeoff).

Cheers,
EtB
Question for you:

how much attention do you want? you may have considered this already, but the louder colors attract even more unwanted attention.

CO was my first choice and then the wife asked me about that part - something I didn't think of. I saw one in Starlight Black and soon changed my tune after finding one with a red interior.

I daily drive mine and people see me - I drive with my headlights on and make sure to follow the ultimate rule of motorcycling: "I am invisible. No one can see me anyway."

good luck

·
Not the admin anymore
11,953 Posts
Is Chrome orange an option for 2008? I thought Burnt Orange was the only orange option.... Definitely like the Chrome Orange.. :drool:
Close enough.....Orange it is!!!

:D

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Wow you're a ninja? rotfl
LMAO!

no - but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

seriously though, the only way to survive on a motorcycle is to have that exact mentality. Pretend as though no one can see you, that you're invisible, and you'll find yourself getting cut off a lot less and that your streetwise driving skills sharpen quite quickly.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Canyon Red!

It's a color that's not too "HEY, LOOK AT ME!", but more like "Hey, look AT me (before you decide to cut me off).";)

Nice XKE BTW! Do you take it to C&C? I think I've seen your XKE there.

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Hi Eric - I fully support your purchase of an Elise SC. You will not be disappointed. This car looks best in Canyon Red. If you get that color, you can then join the very prestigious Red Syndicate | Facebook.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
Canyon Red:drool:

The next best thing to Bordeaux Red :coolnana:

Welcome Eric. I haven't seen a bad color on a Lotus yet. You can't lose.

Tom

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hadn't considered Canyon Red (hadn't really turned up on my radar). I normally don't like metallic reds, but it looks FANTASTIC in your pics. Flash with a bit of dignity thrown in, brings out the shape nicely too. Hmmmmm.... I'd need to see it up close, but I agree with Tom, there is no bad color. Like the motorcycle analogy too.

As for C&C, is that the show in Irvine? Haven't been to that yet. I usually do Bob's in Toluca Lake on Friday nights, the La Crescenta show on Saturday morns and Supercar Sunday in Calabasas, but I've been scarce at all of them lately.

Cheers,
Eric-the-Bastard

1 - 20 of 21 Posts