The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Day 17, June 30

On Day 17 we visited one of our friends in Portland, Oregon.

1) A bit of shopping
2) Her daughter taking skating lessons
3) Her daughter's custom drink invention

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Day 18, July 1

On Day 18, we spent the day seeing some sites around Portland.

We saw Beacon rock, Multnomah Falls, and then our friend had us back for a great dinner of fresh salmon.

1) My friend and his son enjoying the Lotus
2) Consolidate all those "Save the planet, Save the whales..." into just one tidy bumper sticker
3) Climbing Beacon rock (848 feet)
4) Lampreys, an eel-like parasite. Yuk!
5) We met some Brazilians who were travelling through all of South and North America

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Day 19, July 2

On day 19 we travelled from Portland, Oregon over to Boise, Idaho. Most of the landscapes were very dry.

Due to a truck rollover we stopped on the highway and chatted to several people including a retired couple. They had moved to Boise from Utah and preferred Boise. In Utah they felt like outsiders since they were not part of the majority Mormon population.

At the Airbnb we had a whole house to ourselves, even the garage. That 4 Runner was huge!

1) Oregon
2) The interstate was closed for half an hour due to a truck rollover
3) Oregon
4) Oregon
5) Boise at our Airbnb

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Day 20, July 3

On day 20 we travelled from Boise to Yellowstone National Park. We were told that we'd see lots of wildlife but at first we only found a squirrel. I took a photo of that just in case nothing better appeared. Later we found bison, elk, and even a bear.

Travelling through Idaho was great in the Elise. We were able to go at 150 km/hr most of the way. In Ontario your car would be impounded at that speed, not to mention the $10,000 fine. But in Idaho that was just a bit over the 80 mph official limit.

1) Yahoo, 150 km/hr!
2) Our backup photo, just in case
3) Steamboat Geyser
4) A black bear
5) An elk

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Day 21, July 4

We spent day 21 travelling through Yellowstone with one of my university friends and his wife. We were in the Lotus and he brought along a BMW Z4. We saw lots of geysers and wildlife that day. We were a bit worried that the park would be very crowded due to the July 4th holiday but actually it was not too busy.

1) The continental divide
2) Cool car, not so cool hat. My friend says he burns easily
3) Bison, including some young ones
4) The canyon in the park
5) A patriotic visitor

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Day 22, July 5

On day 22 we travelled from Yellowstone National Park to Cheyenne, Wyoming. It was a beautiful scenic drive.

When we entered Wyoming there were some steep (10% grade) descents that gave the brakes a bit of a workout.

1) Idaho
2) Idaho, at a gas bar
3) Idaho
4) Idaho, my wife enjoying the drive
5) Wyoming

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Day 23, July 6

On day 23 we travelled from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Des Moines, Iowa.

On the way we stopped in Omaha, Nebraska to visit the Lauritzen Gardens. The most impressive part of the gardens was an elaborate model train village with numerous tracks and bridges. At night we visited a friend in Des Moines who had recently moved there from Toronto.

1) Lauritzen Gardens in Omaha, Nebraska
2) A working model train inside the gardens
3) Kenefick Park beside the gardens
4) Some monuments in Des Moines
5) Dinner in Des Moines with a friend

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Day 24, July 7

On day 24 we went to see the Iowa State Capitol building. After that we drove to Chicago to visit a friend and her family.

1) Our friend from Des Moines with the Capitol building in the background
2) A statue near the capitol building
3) Checking to see whether the cannon was safe
4) Our friends in Chicago
5) My wife with our Chicago friend

Attachments

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Day 25, July 8

Sadly, the road trip had to end. On day 25 we travelled back to Toronto from Chicago.

We discovered a nice restaurant in Lansing. It was the Thai Village restaurant (400 S Washington Square, Lansing, MI 48933). The food was tasty and cheap.

1) Leaving Chicago
2) Leaving Chicago
3) A nice statue in Chicago
4) Salute to the completion of a great road trip
5) Passed 250,000 km on the final day of the road trip

So there you have it! Twenty five days of fun with a great spouse in a tiny little car.

Attachments

·
Saffron Yellow is Lighter
1,250 Posts
Nice Write-up!

Thanks for sharing. My favorite pic was the T-Rex next to the tiny Elise. :TD:

I can' believe someone actually took a photos of those horrible rusty chunks of metal over the I-80 bridge in Council Bluffs, IA. rotfl

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes I loved the dino photo too.

I took photos of those statues in Iowa, hoping to check later on their meaning and history. But I couldn't find anything. Do you happen to know anything about them?

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
"A sculpture project towering over the South 24th Street bridge in Council Bluffs is supposed to be symbolic of man, machine and transformation -- a modern relic representative of an area with rich agricultural history."

So the artwork on the bridge was supposed to be somewhat abstract. If you google about it, it seems that many people don't like the look of it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts