The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys, I just wanted to try the Angel Eye Halo rings on my elise, but decided to cheap out. I saw the expensive kits from umnitza and they looked really good as well as the other non-lensed LED rings.

I then saw a post about superbrightleds having similar items, but the use did not say he had tried them, just suggested them.

I took the plunge and went online to try and do it on the cheap to test out.

I bought a pair of 2x 80mm Halo rings from Ebay LINK

and then bought some plastic covers from ebay.

Unfortunately they did not fit up, (the covers were a few milimeters too large) and the LED Rings were 80mm to the edge, while the covers were 80mm to the center of the ring.

I took a gamble after having spent about 10$ on these cheap ebay items, but it did not pan out, so I went to superbrightleds and bought just the plastic covers for a few bucks hoping they were the right size for my LED Rings.

Link to Rings @ SuperbrightLEDS

They ended up fitting and so I took the time to test them out on my housings (I have an 05 Elise)

They looked pretty good after a test fit (no permanent or semi permanent gluing done yet)

This picture shows a orangish hue because the high beam was on in this test picture and the high beam is still halogen (even it it is a 6000k bulb, we all know halogens and color temps are controversial)

The cheapest way I was able to do this was to buy the 2x rings on ebay for 7$ per pair and then buy the rings on superbrightled for 7$.

There is a risk of fitment, so no risk solution would be to buy the rings and covers on superbrightled for 27$ shipped

There is a kit that they sell for 20$ each, but they do not list sizes, but close inspection of the part number suggests that it is 80mm as well. As I have not bought this part, I cannot vouch for the fitment, but contacting the store should be a simple task.

The kit is easier than buying them separately, because there is the wedge bulb adapter already on the kit, while the non-kit separate pieces are straight wire.

Edit- a note about the two different types of rings, the white rings are about half the brightness of the black circuit ones

I ended up using some cheap chinese LED wedge bulbs, snapping off the bulb part and threading the twisted wire through the holes to test the lights, but will definitely neaten up and put a more permanent solution.
-Edit-

Stripped wire, twisted very well, shoved all the way through the holes and wrapped around over and then tinned the wire carefully not to melt the cheap plastic wedge adapter (too much)

Another thing I have not done yet is to keep the wire out of the path of the high beam and tuck it away.

Edit-Background information: Using DDM HID kit 5000k for the lowbeams

This is my first Tutorial type post, so please give me some suggestions and feedback (and please be nice!)
Also if I broke the rules for something, please alert me right away

Thanks~ Sam

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts
Looks good so far Sam. Keep updating! Have you LED your brake lights yet (another tutorial maybe :popcorn:)

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't LED'd my tail lights yet. Maybe will tackle it as my next task

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Installed the rings with some latex silicone

Curing now, will install tomorrow morning and take it for a spin to test for vibrations

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Thanks for the pictures and instructions - a lot of work and they turned out great - an nicely updated look!

·
...call me a space cowboy
252 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys, I uploaded two more pictures with only the angel eyes on

another note I want to add is if you buy the rings from superbrightleds.com you are likely going to get much brighter lights. I like the brightness on mine, but if you would like the super bright ones, check the specs on the page about the lumens shows that they are much brighter than the ones I am using

·
Gamera The Atomic Turtle
3,349 Posts
Did you remove your embellisher rings or did you ever have them? Or are they on the car and I am too old and blind to see them?

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry I never replied, dont have embellisher rings, never did

·
Arch. Project Manager
1,093 Posts
I have embellisher rings and it fit though it was a snug fit. I also installed HID's. The lights get hot enough slightly warp the LED ring to the shape of the optics lens over time though not enough to damage anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts