The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have seen a lot of vendors making keys for the cobra alarm era Eliges (e.g. - unikey, etc) which are designed with a form factor for convenience; combining the key and alarm fob into one. While this is functional, imho aesthetics suffer.

For those that would just like to disable the engine immobilizer and don't necessarily care about using the alarm fob, what about a simple solid metal key designed specifically to be aesthetically pleasing? I have only had my Exige for about 4 months, but the oem key kind of blew me away by how generic it is considering our Eliges are very special cars. No bias of course!

In my opinion, a simple metal key matches the analog minimalist nature of our cars. Anyone have any ideas on who would be a good person/business to approach about designing such a key?

Here is a perfect example. An early Acura/Honda NSX key made of Monel, which is a highly corrosion resistant Nickel Copper alloy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
161 Posts
The only aftermarket key that truly looks good, is the Fubrication unikey.. but even that is a bit large. I agree that the keys that came with the cars should have been a lot more special

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would love to have something cool looking for my keys. I agree that the factory keys are blaaa at best. The Acura Key in the original post is totally cool. Can someone come up with a cover for then end of the aftermarket keys from Ace Hardware? I currently have $1.95 keys I use on my cars but they are boring.....

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would love to have something cool looking for my keys. I agree that the factory keys are blaaa at best. The Acura Key in the original post is totally cool. Can someone come up with a cover for then end of the aftermarket keys from Ace Hardware? I currently have $1.95 keys I use on my cars but they are boring.....
Are you using the Ilco X222 key? I can whip something up, just want to make sure I've got the right dimensions for it to fit on the key.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I have the fubrication key that came with an additional blank so I bought a cheap knock off Ferrari key on eBay and painted it. Not bad for under 20 bucks in my opinion.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the fubrication key that came with an additional blank so I bought a cheap knock off Ferrari key on eBay and painted it. Not bad for under 20 bucks in my opinion.

Where did you get the Lotus logo?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I've got something I just put together that looks pretty nice. Waiting on the Lotus emblems I ordered for it to arrive, once I get them I'll post pictures. Hopefully won't be too long, but they are coming from overseas so we'll see...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've got something I just put together that looks pretty nice. Waiting on the Lotus emblems I ordered for it to arrive, once I get them I'll post pictures. Hopefully won't be too long, but they are coming from overseas so we'll see...

Where did you source your Lotus emblems from?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lotus - emblems and decals They're printed to vinyl with a clear polyurethane resin dome on top of it. Haven't ordered anything from them before, but the images on their site look like they're good quality. I'll post my thoughts on their quality as well when I post pics of the key.

Awesome! I might have to try some of these out.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I had actually played around with the idea of doing this a few years back.

I was considering making this from either Stainless steel so it feels nice and sunstantial or aluminum to be able to anodize it.

If there is enough interest I'll consider making a batch of these.

Do it!!! That design is sweet!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts