The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a 435 tune but I believe it must be purchased direct from KT. No problem there although I'd prefer to do business here in the States with one of our trusted suppliers. That not being possible, I will buy direct.

Questions:

1. I am only semi-computer illiterate, use a Mac and don't have a PC, nor do I wish this to be any more complex than necessary. KT says you MUST use a PC for this flash, so I assume no emulating program will do. Consequently, does anybody think it's wise to borrow a PC for this job or should I source a cheap Dell or the like to retain the program locally on my own device? 'Cause I'd rather not have another computer if I don't need one but if I do need one for future updates or the like, well, then I will do the right (as opposed to cheap) thing.

2. If you have installed this program yourself (*or if you haven't and had it done professionally) please provide any info about the installation process you think I should know before pulling the trigger. I'd hate to brick something just because I'm a computer idiot!

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
You could probably use Boot Camp on your Mac to run Windows natively, as long as you have an x86-based Mac. I wouldn't recommend using Parallels or any virtualization software to run Windows within macOS.

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'm awaiting a reply from Komotec to see what can be organized. I think it's likely a good idea to have the original program available on my own computer but it's probably cheaper to give it to an installer than it is to buy a PC just to flash the tune. At least, that's my thinking. I just wish I still had my old VAIO.:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
What is the minimum requirement for the PC? I have an old HP laptop I was going to pitch into the trash you can have but it might be too slow.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I installed myself and was pretty simple and I know very little about computers. Only issue I had was I needed to get PC to run as Administrator to download the program that you use. Once I figured out how to do that was easy. You probably could have a friend help you who has a PC, you could do the download and save the 3 files they send you, stock, 91 octane and 93 octane on a USB drive.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Lotusquacious, I can't speak to mac versus PC, but the process of flashing the software itself is not hard. It's a bit quirky in that you have to follow a seqence of steps carefully, but they supply step by step written instructions. Once you receive the hardware cable, you will download and install the software from their website, hook it up to car, 'mate' the cable/dongle to your car upon first hook up, get to a screen where you will screenshot the car's VIN and software number. You will email that to KT and wait for them to send you the tune files. Its a couple days usually. When you receive the tune files, you will go back through the process, go past the screen where you ID'd your car and flash the software. It takes about 5-7 minutes and you will hear the car's fan come on and off. That's it. Remember that car won't let you connect to ECU if its warm, so always do this when car has sat for a while and is cold.

Setup a dyno appointment afterwards to measure AFR. KT will want to see right around 12. Setup a dyno appointment before hand if you want to baseline first. See my post in the other KT thread with some details regarding this. As a nice little bonus, you will see that you gained more than the advertised hp as well as torque. KT underrates the gains.

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hi bizjet. I have no desire for a hardware upgrade at this point apart perhaps from the CAI as supplied by GRP or similar. I suspect the base KT tune will be enough for me for now. I wasn’t even aware BOE had a charge cooler for the 400

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is the minimum requirement for the PC? I have an old HP laptop I was going to pitch into the trash you can have but it might be too slow.
Thank you! Most kind of you. I have contacted KT with that exact question and hope for a reply soon. They’ve been very responsive so far. If your device is up to it, I will be happy to bear any costs and take you up on that. Much appreciated. Stand by!

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lotusquacious, I can't speak to mac versus PC, but the process of flashing the software itself is not hard. It's a bit quirky in that you have to follow a seqence of steps carefully, but they supply step by step written instructions. Once you receive the hardware cable, you will download and install the software from their website, hook it up to car, 'mate' the cable/dongle to your car upon first hook up, get to a screen where you will screenshot the car's VIN and software number. You will email that to KT and wait for them to send you the tune files. Its a couple days usually. When you receive the tune files, you will go back through the process, go past the screen where you ID'd your car and flash the software. It takes about 5-7 minutes and you will hear the car's fan come on and off. That's it. Remember that car won't let you connect to ECU if its warm, so always do this when car has sat for a while and is cold.

Setup a dyno appointment afterwards to measure AFR. KT will want to see right around 12. Setup a dyno appointment before hand if you want to baseline first. See my post in the other KT thread with some details regarding this. As a nice little bonus, you will see that you gained more than the advertised hp as well as torque. KT underrates the gains.
I am planning to do a baseline pull and then to test it again after the tune and to report here on the outcome.

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I pulled the trigger for the tune so I'm committed now. And not for the first time! The last time they committed me, I had to do a lot of fancy talking to wiggle out of the restraints. I don't intend to do that this time! I want the power!

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A whirl of activity has ensued! I just ordered the tune. It happens that there is a tuner with a dyno (Carma Performance) just a few miles from me. He can do the baseline pull, load the program and do the second pull for under $200 for the whole chimichanga. Easy peasy and soon comes the music. I will report the entire process and result on this thread with the dyno pulls posted up as well.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Your enthusiasm is remembered and factors in my decision.
I bought my car around the same time as you from AutoEurope. I know this because I test drove your car (before it was your car obviously). So my warranty has just recently expired too. Car is currently at AutoEurope getting some last warranty work done. Luckily nothing major. I look forward to your experience with this tune because it is now on my radar.

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I remember when you got yours and I think I recall asking you how mine drove before I picked it up. As I said, I will be reporting back on my pulls so stay tuned (so to speak)! Back then we were the brave souls who bought relatively early cars. They were the "fastest cars Lotus ever built for the street." They were top dog for about seven minutes.

·
Illegal Alien
5,138 Posts
I installed myself and was pretty simple and I know very little about computers. Only issue I had was I needed to get PC to run as Administrator to download the program that you use. Once I figured out how to do that was easy. You probably could have a friend help you who has a PC, you could do the download and save the 3 files they send you, stock, 91 octane and 93 octane on a USB drive.
I hope Daniel finally learnt that US octane grades and europe are on different scales. While they based their tunes on ROZ 98 (or more commonly outside of Germany called (98 RON), I had an impossible time of convincing them back in 2011 to leave my tune as is, as our rating scale using words PON or AKI or (i.e. RON+MON/2) = 93 was the same stuff. I know for folk that live out West it is hard or impossible to get the 93 so maybe a slight cut back for the PON 91 (or ROZ 95) world is appropriate. I still make it a habit at track days, especially in southern +100 deg weather, to top up with Sunoco 100 PON unleaded race fuel (104 RON) when its available.

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Guessing they have as tune files are called "91 AKI" and "93 AKI"

·
Loves to talk
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Are the alternate fuel tunes selectable or must they be re-flashed every time a change is required?

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
Must be reflashed. Not an issue for me since we have 93 everywhere here. But reflash would take less than 10 minutes if needed

1 - 20 of 246 Posts