The Lotus Cars Community banner

201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Yea I remember it was a pain finding, give me a minute to go on my laptop to look

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Do you have the printed instructions? I feel like that’s where I found the address to download the software. Of course, now I can’t find my copy
Jim you didnt have to do this step, I installed it on the laptop before I gave it to you

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Thanks! I found it on the obd cable page, listed there among the downloads. It's location does not conform to the printed instructions. Never a dull moment!

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
I have to wait for this old computer to take a charge, which it seems to be having some trouble with. Signing off and will report back.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I should have you do it, Red!
If you were local would be glad to help. I'm pretty sure I already know what your next issue is going to be. First it's probably not going to want to download because computer will feel it's a potentially dangerous program, you will need to click the "Run Anyways" button. Then it may say you need to be in Administrator mode, if so you will need to change to that on laptop

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #208 (Edited)
I know you would and appreciate that.

As you mentioned, I had to override the computer's refusal to download the package. At this point I have all the preliminaries done and just need to plug in the OBD adapter and run the program. However, my cheap used computer had a charging issue so I had to bring it back to the shop and will load the actual program tomorrow morning when I get it back.

It really isn't complicated but despite being ten pages worth, the instructions are a little vague about the opening steps. Once you get past that, it starts to make sense.

Although I don't have a representative "before" pull, I will do another group of runs after I get the package up and running to see what we have as a result.

·
Registered
278 Posts
jjm4life - congratulations! Glad you got it sorted out and are enjoying it! It's a wonderful upgrade in my opinion.

lotusquacious - you are in the home stretch, buddy! Round third base and come on home!!

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Bricked. I'm taking a break from trying to figure out the ignition sequence. I get confirmation that the ECU has been reprogrammed but the car won't start. Also the fans come on with the ignition key.

Woohoo boy is this fun.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
So you are getting through the entire process without any error messages? Do you have the car on charger? And yea make sure you are following the key on/off correctly. Took multiple times for Matt to get his to work so don't give up

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #212
Car's on charger, so is the computer. That key sequence is confusing. They could do with clearer instructions. I'll go back and try it again. The fan thing is weird they cycle up full steam at points along the way.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #214
It was a quest and the delivery mechanism from purchase to install can be trying but the tune is successful. You will identify the new map as being much like the factory one. That is, it delivers very linear response but there's just more of it. There's enough more to move the needle, meaning the differences aren't subtle more so at the upper third of the rev range. It may be psychological but the motor feels a bit different, more willing, even from 3K up.

I did not notice the dreaded rev hang or any unwillingness to take throttle for rev matching during down shifts. My car seems to burble a bit more, but not annoyingly so.I may be imagining that. But I am not imagining the new found rush towards redline. The car is noticeably more urgent and feels like the 4 second car it's supposed to be. You are getting a bit of a rush and even some blood draining out of your face.

It was worth it, but when people say you need to be patient, take them at their word. KT could smooth out the process a bit by giving more details when there are delays and they could also clean up the instructions but as for the tune, it was worth it.

Special thanks to Champale for supporting me via PM during the desperate moments!

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
happy to hear you were successful! Your opinion matches mine. Car feels more urgent through the rev range. Ultimately it was worth the effort. Could they refine their process, absolutely. But eventually they delivered as promised. All in all I’m happy.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Man I am so happy for both of you guys and it was my pleasure to help in any little way! Very exciting news. Yeah their tunes really wake the cars up and, in the end, I hope you guys who have gone through all of these trials and tribulations will look back and feel like it was worth it. Realistically, we are all pretty darned lucky to have these super neat little cars and having a hiccup here and there is not the end of the world.

Now go find an empty stretch of road, put it in 2nd at about 30mph and floor it up to redline through the next couple of gears. Then try to tell me it wasnt worth it!

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
588 Posts
Wonder if the S1 is as much of a process. I am definitely not sold on this if it is. Glad you guys got it sorted. I'd probably drive to someone who has done it so atleast they know what they are doing.

·
Loves to talk
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #218 (Edited)
I think I could talk you through it but messing with your ECU does take a leap of faith if like me, you're not particularly skilled with computers. But the thing is, it moves the car from quick to fast. You read a 12 page process like this and think, man that's a lot of fuss but the car feels much improved so in the end, it was worth it to me.

Nobody buys these because they're the fastest cars for the money and you're aware that you are sacrificing power and features for the other sterling qualities you get. This tune puts quite a bit of the power you thought you sacrificed at the alter of the Evora's driving balance back into the mix.

I think KT is a small engineering focused outfit that likes to race. I suppose they're not as polished in their go to market strategy but it all fits, very Lotus like.

Knowing Matt had the same issues I did as this unraveled was a bit of a comfort, especially when the car wouldn't start after the first couple of attempts. I knew I could work through it because the path had already been trod.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I know you said you’d document the process for future reference . . . but please do while the memory is fresh. I may go this route one day soon and it would be a comfort to have step by step instructions from somebody who has been though it. Pleased you got it up and running despite the hiccups.

Reactions: kestrou

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The instructions the provide are decent. It’s the final steps that got screwy. You need to keep the obd2 cable plugged in even after it says complete. Then on the main menu of their flash software you have to choose diagnostics, and clear the codes that are listed. All in all it was a few minutes extra to make sure that was done, and only then did the car start. That part of the directions isn’t the most clear

201 - 220 of 242 Posts