The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noble M400 leaves the VIR track at high speed, right into the tire wall.

YouTube - Noble M400 Crash at VIR

Derek said telemetry indicated 149mph when he left the track. Only injury was a contusion to his hand when a bit of the body work came into the cabin through the window. Car was actually fine and will be fixed up.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Uh...:eek:
Looks like the guy he was trying to pass didn't even know he was there and just closed the hole on him...:shrug:
One more reason to always check your mirrors and be aware of what's going on around / behind you...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Looks to me like the Noble driver is 100% at fault. He basically stays in the blind spot of the other car for quite a while. Doesn't have enough to pass before turn in. Other car turned in on him. Boom.

The car being passed had the line, he has priority on the line. When strapped to his seat he probably can't see very well in the blind spot. For a pass to be safe, you have to have your nose equal with the nose of the car you're trying to pass before turn in. If you have your nose equal with the other car's driver, he "should" be seeing you. But it is obviously not as safe and you need to thrust this other driver on his skills and vision.

Remember some driver are so focused on the track ahead they virtually forget of any other cars. Glad to hear both car and driver will live to race another day.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
149 going into the esses? That's really fast for there - really really fast. Especially considering his point of entry was far from optimal for that segment... glad he was OK...

·
Registered
494 Posts
In SCCA rules, the Stocker, not the Noble, was at fault as it denied the Noble racing room. I can't speak to all club rules, although I think they are generally similar in that you must leave room for someone if they are alongside you (the proverbial "the width of your car and a piece of paper").

Blind spot is not an excuse -- as a driver you know that Noble's around, and if he's not in your mirrors, then he's alongside you.

All that said, the Noble driver put himself in a bad spot. Sometimes you need to concede the corner earlier and set them up for the next corner.

If this wasn't a race...then the Noble driver was amazingly silly for getting into that spot, and the situation proves my personal adage that track days with "open" passing are the same as racing and should always be treated as such.

Steve

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
that is really fast out of the bridge... looks like he was gaining fast out of 5 and 6 (my favorite place to go surveying) but then got out dragged on the straight to the bridge, underestimated the pass...

thats racing! - at least that kinda of a pass incident should not happen on a track day, so i assume it was a race event. there are some pretty good places to pass o nthe full course, people who race there can comment further - but i would guess after the bridge and into the esses is not one of them. (but i think he thought he would make the pass before the bridge, but just ran out of hp)

Glad he was ok!!! that was quite frigtning!!!

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
In SCCA rules, the Stocker, not the Noble, was at fault as it denied the Noble racing room. I can't speak to all club rules, although I think they are generally similar in that you must leave room for someone if they are alongside you (the proverbial "the width of your car and a piece of paper").

Blind spot is not an excuse -- as a driver you know that Noble's around, and if he's not in your mirrors, then he's alongside you.
Not sure about SCCA rules, but usually leaving room is when you exit a turn, you have to leave room for the other car. Some driver will go all the way to the exit curb forcing the other car to leave the track or brake.

In this case, the guy dove inside right at turn in. The car in front had the racing line and had all the rights, imho, to turn in. The Noble driver made a mistake. Unless the car in front knew the Noble was there and delibaretly ram him. That's why you usually have to put the nose alongside the other car's driver "before turn in" to safely claim the racing line as yours.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
From the comments in the Noble forum, it appears it was a race, not a track day.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Ho
Ly
Crap!

Nightmares!

Rod -poke- Don't do that when you visit in a few weeks. It is like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters... "It would be bad"

·
Registered
494 Posts
Not sure about SCCA rules, but usually leaving room is when you exit a turn, you have to leave room for the other car. Some driver will go all the way to the exit curb forcing the other car to leave the track or brake.

In this case, the guy dove inside right at turn in. The car in front had the racing line and had all the rights, imho, to turn in. The Noble driver made a mistake. Unless the car in front knew the Noble was there and delibaretly ram him. That's why you usually have to put the nose alongside the other car's driver "before turn in" to safely claim the racing line as yours.
For SCCA, it's much tighter than that. If I have even 1" of my car in overlap, then you must give me room all the way through. Again, the old adage is that if someone's been close to you and you suddenly can't see them -- they are alongside you. You touch, and you'll be chatting with a steward in impound. In this clip you can see how on the second lap I have minor contact with someone (not my fault) -- it wasn't a big deal but we did chat about it post race.

Steve

·
Registered
7,115 Posts
Ho
Ly
Crap!

Nightmares!

Rod -poke- Don't do that when you visit in a few weeks. It is like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters... "It would be bad"
I will do my best to keep my Sh!L in my britches :wave:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I'm pretty sure the review committee would find the Noble at fault - his attempt to pass there is pretty arrogant (especially considering the "line" through the high-speed esses)... he really positioned himself in the wrong spot. Damn I miss that track though...

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm pretty sure the review committee would find the Noble at fault - his attempt to pass there is pretty arrogant (especially considering the "line" through the high-speed esses)... he really positioned himself in the wrong spot. Damn I miss that track though...
He put himself on the inside for that entry. You don't get much better than that. I would have made the exact same move and not expected to get chopped in an SCCA event. But I don't know what sanction they were racing under.

Steve

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Inside at the entry to a set of esses (especially those at VIR) is not the same as the inside to most other turns. I am not convinced the Noble would have been able to hold it even if the stock car wasn't there...

·
Registered
494 Posts
What would you say about the esses at Infineon then? Hopefully not that THEY can't be done side by side, because I've seen it done. I doubt the esses at VIR are any different.

Regardless, the turning down onto someone is deeply uncool for club racing. Far more uncool that the poor judgement of being there, because it indicates not being aware of what's going on.

Steve

1 - 20 of 25 Posts