1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
56 Posts
Not sure about safer in the wet. With an open diff, one wheel will lose traction and spin up. Not much else. With power to both wheels in the wet, you're more likely to spin both wheels for some notably unsafe oversteer.

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure about safer in the wet. With an open diff, one wheel will lose traction and spin up. Not much else. With power to both wheels in the wet, you're more likely to spin both wheels for some notably unsafe oversteer.
I guess that makes sense, since with this diff, power would be transferred to the wheel with the most traction.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
YMMV Disclaimer

I suspect that unless you are running a high horsepower setup & a manual OR autox the car regularly, a limited slip is not the limiting factor.

That being said, if you have the $$, its a great mental boots to have one. It gave me the confidence, probably unrealistically, to be more aggressive with the power on corner exit.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Looks similar to the torsen but a whole lot pricier. I paid $425 for the t2 that I put in my cobra last yr. It did make a big difference in a 604 hp 2100# roadster. I improved my times by about 5% after adding it as it really helps delivering power on corner exit. That said I can't see it making a huge difference in an evora plus I imagine that the install will make the price of the part look reasonable.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Exactly, when you get the inside wheel spinning, it's easier to correct than if both wheels are spinning. The back comes around more slowly. This is partially why Lotus put traction control on cars with LSD on the Elise/Exige.

Unless you are actually getting wheel spin coming out of slow turns in the canyons (base Evora doesn't have that much power) or at the track, don't really need one IMO.

·
Illegal Alien
4,613 Posts
While we don't have a Torsen/Quaife which under most conditions puts the power to the wheel with the highest torque (which also under most conditions is the ideal, but if it was always ideal, FD Rx-7 owners would not change out their differentials) we do 9atleast with Sport package) have an electronic differential, that applied power to the wheel with mots torque by activating the brake on the wheel with least traction. This is the direction that Ferrari etal have moved to.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I had a Quaife in my Seven, but the Seven had no sophisticated driver aids.

I personally wouldn't want one for my Evora. The Evora's electronic differential lock system was designed to work with the stability control and the anti-lock brakes. That system seems to work very well for a road car, I don't think it's worth messing around with the Quaife.

I don't track my Evora, but I wonder if the Evora's electronic system would provide smoother transitions than the Quaife would on the track? :shrug: I doubt the Quaife would be worth it for the track, but if I were doing a lot of track days then I might be willing to try it.

If I were seriously autocrossing my Evora, then I'd probably want the Quaife; but, serious autocrosser's should probably choose a different car in the first place!

Tony
Indianapolis

·
Registered
545 Posts
I had a Quaife in my Seven, but the Seven had no sophisticated driver aids.

I personally wouldn't want one for my Evora. The Evora's electronic differential lock system was designed to work with the stability control and the anti-lock brakes. That system seems to work very well for a road car, I don't think it's worth messing around with the Quaife.

I don't track my Evora, but I wonder if the Evora's electronic system would provide smoother transitions than the Quaife would on the track? :shrug: I doubt the Quaife would be worth it for the track, but if I were doing a lot of track days then I might be willing to try it.

If I were seriously autocrossing my Evora, then I'd probably want the Quaife; but, serious autocrosser's should probably choose a different car in the first place!

Tony
Indianapolis
You won't notice the ESP on track if in sport mode. Absolutely smooth. AutoX different story, but also agree with others that a diff will make reactions of the car more aggressive for the average driver.

·
Illegal Alien
4,613 Posts
Even with ESP off on the track the elec. diff is still active.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts