The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the middle of some obsessive rattle chasing right now, just searching for anything loose on the front of the car. I was looking in the right front wheel well and noticed this black plastic cover on the door hinge.
Fixture Automotive tire Vehicle Automotive exterior Electrical wiring

I tapped on it and got a surprisingly buzzy sound. Ok, so is it not fastened properly? What about the driver side cover? Checked that one, no buzzing. Interesting. Almost sounds like something could be loose inside the passenger side cover. So I went around to look from the other side and sure enough there's a random stray bolt sitting between the hinge and the plastic cover!
Fluid Fixture Wood Gas Bumper

I was able to gently bend the plastic cover and pull the bolt out with a magnet.

Now to figure out where it might be missing from. It appears to be M6 x 12mm. Looks like these are used at the top of the fiberglass door hinge cover panels, so that seems like a strong possibility.
Blue Azure Household hardware Nickel Aqua

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well this is kind of interesting...I don't have #8 on either side of the car. And I don't see them mentioned in guides for removing the front clam. Maybe they aren't used on oil cooler cars? I have a single driver-side oil cooler and it looks like it would make #8 difficult or impossible to access on that side.

·
Registered
2005 Elise
384 Posts
Well this is kind of interesting...I don't have #8 on either side of the car. And I don't see them mentioned in guides for removing the front clam. Maybe they aren't used on oil cooler cars? I have a single driver-side oil cooler and it looks like it would make #8 difficult or impossible to access on that side.
you should have 8 and 42 on both sides. they can be a pain...

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
I'm intrigued. I've had some odd sounds in my Elise from time to time. Your photos are closeups and I can't understand the exact location. Could you post another picture taken a bit further back of the area holding the loose bolt. Thanks.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm intrigued. I've had some odd sounds in my Elise from time to time. Your photos are closeups and I can't understand the exact location. Could you post another picture taken a bit further back of the area holding the loose bolt. Thanks.
Sure thing. This one was taken standing by the passenger sill with the door open. I roughly outlined the area that is in the closeup.
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found this in the service manual which I think clears things up a bit
Organism Motor vehicle Font Slope Art

I have no bolt "Fixing to radiator mounting panel", which I think is #8 in the other diagram. And I have two bolts on each side for "Fixing of door hinge cover panel to clamshell", which I think is #42 in the other diagram (plus a second bolt not pictured in the service parts diagram).

·
Registered
3,455 Posts
Sure thing. This one was taken standing by the passenger sill with the door open. I roughly outlined the area that is in the closeup.
View attachment 1323208
Thanks, that's clear now. I checked my car on both sides and luckily don't see a loose bolt. I think I have a loose cable in the engine bay that flips back and forth sometimes. I've never been able to find it though.

·
Registered
2005 Turbo Elise
219 Posts
I had the same thing.... but I found it when it dropped own into the chanel..... that is when i heard it and not is is laying down in the black hole. I have not figured out how to access that cavity

·
Administrator
13,550 Posts
I had the same thing.... but I found it when it dropped own into the chanel..... that is when i heard it and not is is laying down in the black hole. I have not figured out how to access that cavity
How about flex grabber or flex mag?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure if this is the same spot you're talking about, but on the driver side I had a bolt stuck between the two body trim panels below the door hinge area
Rectangle Automotive lighting Liquid Tints and shades Astronomical object

Trying to remember what I did to get it out...I think I loosed the bolts holding the door hinge cover panel and was able to pull the bolt out the enlarged gap with a magnet. But if you can't see whatever is in there this method might not give you enough space. Two things to keep in mind if you try this:
  1. The service manual is wrong, there are two bolts at the top of this panel, not one.
  2. Those upper bolts use shims for panel alignment, and I think they are U-shaped...so even loosening the bolts you risk them falling out. Be careful.
Slope Font Line Parallel Auto part

1 - 13 of 13 Posts