The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is another new article on Lotus in the US. Many of the details are wrong including things like what Toyota products use the same engine and projected/ current orders for the Elise. I also have to be somewhat skeptical of the numbers quoted from Hale for Lotus by 2009-2010. Esspecially if the Elise is left alone here without further model development for the US.

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=7051&sid=175&n=156

I'd take post of this with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It says no Exige for NA, not no Esprit
Road and Track says there is an esprit replace ment and a midsize car in development, over the next 5 years. I wouldn't trust that very far either, as Lotus said in their bumper waiver that they were planning on having a compliant Elise by 2007...

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you read the article carefully, "That includes the Exige, a replacement for the aging Esprit. Currently, plans call for the new sports car to be sold only in Europe"

It either infers that the Exige is the Esprit replacement, which we know it's not. Or it is stating that there is an existing car, the Exige (which it is) and a new replacement for the Esprit. Regardless of how you read that, the next sentence states that the new sports car isn't coming here (at least intially). It almost reads as though the thought line of the first sentence is not finished and had listed another vehicle.

Lets face it, it was a bad article with lots of holes.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
It doesn't make sense for Lotus to not bring Espirits replacement to US when it has been such a legacy car for them. Especially when they are making such inroads with the Elise.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I took the article to mean no new Esprit for the USA, not Exige. They just misnamed it. I'll bet the Exige will come.

·
Registered
7,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
babak,

I hands down agree. But not only do they need an Esprit replacement, they also need that mid range car. The Exige should come here as well with a hp. upgrade. It doesn't make sence to produce a car which meets our requirements (fed) and not import it. Even if it's just a few, very little expense would be realized v. the ability top show an expanded model line and of course the generated sales. The mid range car is necessary in order to tie the product line together and not be so far apart on the various models. VW is learning this the hard way with the Phaeton. The car isn't bad, it just has no connection to the rest of the line. The W8 Passat was a weak attempt. VW needs a mid range car to fill the gap and go head to head with the E Class and 5 Series. So now their scrambling to create one. Frankly, VW should have kept to the lower end of the market and more should have been done with Audi and a seperation of the "R" series cars and the regular models. A W16 Audi range topper makes sence since they have established their market position, but a VW.....

What I'm getting at is Lotus needs to ensure that those people buying an Elise now can move into something up market in 2-4 years. And the jump in price can't be 50K to an Esprit.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
I belive Lotus plans are to bring out the Esprit replacement in about 3 years. About a year after that the mid-level car. Time will tell. :)

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Re: R&T - 5/04 - Page 63

"Lotus is hard at work on a new version of the Esprit and should have it ready to go on sale in as little as two years."
Note: The photos of this, "$125,000 competitor to the likes of the Lamborghini Gallardo and Ferrari 360 Modena", very
closely resemble the aforementioned 'Lambo' and is said to, "likely be powered by a mid-mounted V-8 with either turbo or supercharging".

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
wallabyguy said:
babak,

I hands down agree. But not only do they need an Esprit replacement, they also need that mid range car. The Exige should come here as well with a hp. upgrade. It doesn't make sence to produce a car which meets our requirements (fed) and not import it. Even if it's just a few, very little expense would be realized v. the ability top show an expanded model line and of course the generated sales. The mid range car is necessary in order to tie the product line together and not be so far apart on the various models. .....

What I'm getting at is Lotus needs to ensure that those people buying an Elise now can move into something up market in 2-4 years. And the jump in price can't be 50K to an Esprit.
Furthermore, the Elise is such a striking car that it'll definitely bring people into the showrooms and onto the websites. But many may write off the Elise as too pure and too uncomfortable. That'll be a great segway into the midrange/highend cars.

·
Supporting Vendor
4,113 Posts
My interpretation:

Beyond that, he hints, there will be "innovative ways" to tweak the design of the Elise to renew market demand. And several additional products are in the works.

The last line suggests a line up of several cars. Previous articles have stated: Elise, M260 2+2, Esprit

That includes the Exige, a replacement for the aging Esprit. Currently, plans call for the new sports car to be sold only in Europe, but Hale confides it "certainly is poised for the U.S.," as well.

Poor english. The 'new sports car' he mentions is the Exige, not the Esprit. Hale is stating that the Exige was originally slated for Europe only, but it could be brought to the US. This supports his earlier quotes about 'innovative ways' to extend the product line-up and demand...

The possibility of a stateside Exige makes this punter one happy enthusiast! :) :D

Maybe I should place another deposit..:rolleyes:

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Esprit replacement will be here and you could bet on that. The US market is far to important and Lotus is looking to build its stake here. I definately will purchase it when it does comes here.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
Is it time to start speculating on how the new esprits will be allocated to the dealers? Will it be based on past elise sales?:D :D

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
Evl said:
rewarding long term dealers by basing allocations on past Europa sales.
Shouldn't that be past Elan sales (and I don't mean the M100s)...

Tim Mullen

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
A long time ago....I am expecting the color chart next week:D

1 - 17 of 17 Posts