The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I am in the process of looking for a used Elise, currently looking at 05 and 06 model years.

Would a car that was struck in the rear end in a minor accident scare you away ?

Thanks in advance,

Todd

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Hello all,

I am in the process of looking for a used Elise, currently looking at 05 and 06 model years.

Would a car that was struck in the rear end in a minor accident scare you away ?

Thanks in advance,

Todd
Be careful because any damage to the frame makes the car a write off, and it may not be identifiable from the outside (you may need to remove the clam).

On the other hand, if it was just the clam that was damaged and the repair was well done, go for it. It's relatively easy to crack a clam so I don't find this scary.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Be careful because any damage to the frame makes the car a write off, and it may not be identifiable from the outside (you may need to remove the clam).

On the other hand, if it was just the clam that was damaged and the repair was well done, go for it. It's relatively easy to crack a clam so I don't find this scary.
What he said.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
As everyone so far has said, there are a lot of lightly damaged and replaced clams out there. However, there have also been a few totalled cars that have had terribly botched repairs, advertised ans having had "minor damage". If it has, or has ever had, a salvage title, you really, really need to know this car well to be able to judge if the repairs are safe and acceptable. Do your homework.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Hello all,

Thanks in advance,

Todd
Yes. Don't buy it. :shrug:

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Yes. Don't buy it. :shrug:
That's why I'm still pursuing a diminished value claim against Allstate. My car was hit by a motorcycle -- broken wheel, torn tire, broken toe-link, small bend in diffuser where it contacted the tire, and a small "mark" on the brake caliper.

All damaged parts were replaced with new, including the caliper, and I got a new rear clam. The body shop used a 2-stage paint instead of the Lotus 3-stage "lifestyle" paint process. The color is a very close match but the metalic flecks seem slightly larger in the painted areas. Also got new star shield below the door sills to the back of the car.

If you want the car, try to get it for 10% below current "market" value. Also, find out where the repairs were done and see if you can get more details from them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
That's why I'm still pursuing a diminished value claim against Allstate. My car was hit by a motorcycle -- broken wheel, torn tire, broken toe-link, small bend in diffuser where it contacted the tire, and a small "mark" on the brake caliper.
Damn, what happened to the motorcycle?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guy's thanks for all the replies, I think I will steer away from this one. As was pointed out the 05's are not that expensive to risk a problem now or a problem waiting to happen.

Todd :)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Damn, what happened to the motorcycle?
I started a thread -- "roadtrip gone bad" -- shortly after the accident.

It was a 1979 Kawasaki K1000. He had a broken mirror, a few scuff marks, and a broken clutch housing. The clutch housing hit the pavement, not my car. The bike stopped 10-15 feet past the point of impact and the rider was walking to the side of the road by the time I got out of my car. Apparently, the mark on my brake caliper was from his left foot peg.

I was making a left turn and the rider decided to risk crossing a double-yellow line to pass me on the left since a couple of cars were in the way passing me on the right (2-lane US highway).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts