The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's Up?
I've had a crush on the Elise since 2002 and now I am seriously considering getting one. I just have a few questions that only actual Lotus owners could answer.

Do any of you use your cars as a daily driver? I've heard the harsh suspension makes it undesirable for commuting. What are your thoughts?

How much (if at all) does the roof leak?

Do they come with rear defrosters? I know the list of features on these cars is pretty short.

How well does the car handle in the rain?

Does the soft top riase/lower manually or with a switch?

Thanks, Any info you can give me would be most appreciated. I'm not just posting here so I can get my answers and never come back. I plan on hanging around and talking to other Lotus fans too.

Peace!

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Please search on daily driver because there is a LOT of good info and it is worth reading.

1. The suspension is not harsh. But it may be to some who want a luxury ride.
2. Roof does not leak. But it may drip, specially when you open the doors. Carry a towel.
3. No defrosters. Carry a towel.
4. It handles ok in the rain, depending on the tires. Slicker tires are scary in the rain and any midengined car requires more finesse to drive properly and not stuff it into a guard rail.
5. The top does not raise or lower. The soft top is removed (about 20 seconds) from the outside of the car and then stowed in the rear boot.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
I'll just answer...

Some people use them as daily drivers. It's not any more harsh than a BMW. Just you feel it through the steering wheel and you hear it. I don't really recommend it as a daily driver especially in inclement weather, but it's doable.

My touring roof does not leak.

No rear de-froggers.

The A048 tires do not handle the rain well. The touring tires, or AD07s, are a bit better, but you really should be careful. These are not rain tires. Just exercise caution at all times, just like you should in ANY car.

The soft top doesn't low. It's more like a targa top. You unattach it like you would remove any roof and it stores neatly in the boot.

Good luck.

·
Older but getting faster
524 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
What's Up?
I just have a few questions that only actual Lotus owners could answer.

Do any of you use your cars as a daily driver? I've heard the harsh suspension makes it undesirable for commuting. What are your thoughts?
Yes, I use it daily as my regular car, except when there's snow. It keeps me in shape and psyched up. It drives PERFECTLY and that's a real pleasure. :clap:

How much (if at all) does the roof leak?

This is a softtop, and AFAIK, it doesn't leak at all.

Do they come with rear defrosters?

No

How well does the car handle in the rain?

It was drizzling all day yesterday. On one of my favorite spots, an entrance ramp onto the Northern State Parkway, the car skidded. :eek: I must have been doing 30 or 40 mph.

AFAIK, the danger with rain is when it first starts raining. Then all the oils and stuff come up from the road. Nevertheless, my problem occurred in the late afternoon and it had been raining all day. Gotta learn the car's limits. :bow:

It doesn't raise or lower. You take it off and put it back on. Manually.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I would be guessing this is in relation to today being the 1st of April ?

This video will answer all those questions and more, it is invaluable : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU

(also you should have asked if it came in an automatic version ! )

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would be guessing this is in relation to today being the 1st of April ? ...
(also you should have asked if it came in an automatic version ! )
C'mon, my questions weren't THAT basic were they? ":)

I know they don't come in automatic.. the dealer already told me that option wasn't available and neither was the rear seat dvd player I inquired about.

·
Registered
873 Posts
I'll just answer...

Some people use them as daily drivers. It's not any more harsh than a BMW. Just you feel it through the steering wheel and you hear it. I don't really recommend it as a daily driver especially in inclement weather, but it's doable....
And this is coming from Mr. Bavarian. :rolleyes: Lets be honest, it is a bit more harsher than a BMW. You can feel every little imperfection on the road... which is basically your mass pike and rt 9.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And this is coming from Mr. Bavarian. :rolleyes: Lets be honest, it is a bit more harsher than a BMW. You can feel every little imperfection on the road... which is basically your mass pike and rt 9.
hehe. I-90 isn't that bad. You should talk. All I see in OH is traffic cones and orange barrels :)

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
this is a much better video:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9q2jNjOPdk&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B9q2jNjOPdk&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

·
Registered
693 Posts
You have been loving the Elise since 2002 and asked that question? :sad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts