The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im new to this, having a family heavily involved in the car industry and been lucky enough to have driven numerous cars for my age i am looking to take the plunge and buy myself a Elise s1 (a car i have wanted ever since release).

i have driven quite a few different cars, a few Audis, Mercedes and recently Volvos (my dad has worked for these companies in last few years)

i am wondering how different driving a lotus will be in comparison with these cars. i am slightly apprehensive that the car maybe beyond my ability, being closer to a race car than other cars i have driven like Volvo C30 T5.
would anybody say this is an issue? and what advice would you give a person new to this style of driving? is it worth taking an official lotus track driving course?

thanks

Jonny

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
nothing tricky about a lotus unless you get on the ragged edge of traction.
drive sensibly and learn the limits where you are safe, (track, etc) and you'll love it.
sam

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
First off, welcome.

buy myself a Elise s1
I assume you are in Europe then?

i have driven quite a few different cars, a few Audis, Mercedes and recently Volvos (my dad has worked for these companies in last few years)

i am wondering how different driving a lotus will be in comparison with these cars.
Very different. Creature comforts, smooth ride, power steering are all gone. You most likely will feel much more connected with the road than ever before. Audi, MB, Volvo = car. Elise = go-kart.

i am slightly apprehensive that the car maybe beyond my ability, being closer to a race car than other cars i have driven like Volvo C30 T5.
would anybody say this is an issue? and what advice would you give a person new to this style of driving?
My wife was very apprehensive about driving the Elise at first as well. Once she decided to drive it like any other car she has been fine.

is it worth taking an official lotus track driving course?
It probably wouldn't hurt.

·
Premium Member
5,633 Posts
Since you've been driving Mercedes, Audi and Volvos. If you like driving a go-cart around, this is the car for you....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi thanks very much for your responses, I am from the uk. glad to hear its like that. I love go karting and the sole reason I wanted this car is for the fun and love of driving.
Have found with the other cars I have driven the creature comfort novelty wears off quickly and often what your left with is a very boring drive underneath!
I will probably look at doing a driving course with an elise before buying one. Is there any particular things to look out for with s1 elise's?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts