The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in a diesel max pickup truck, with my smelly 24 Hours of LeMons "Team Punisher" teammates, reading a magazine on the way to Camden, SC, head to Carolina Motorsports Park

It was a muscle car tech-oriented magazine, talking about restoring older cars ... my jaw dropped as it was talking about cam lobe failure due to reduced whatever additive, now being taken out of oils to help cat convertors make it to 100k mile warranty threshold!

What the heck, the Lotus issue could be a motor oil issue? It mentioned oils that had extra of the addtiive and highly recommended using them

Anyone know more about this? Can verify? I can't imagine the article was fiction

By the way, we did purty well 24 Hours Of Lemons: 45 Minutes To Go, RX-7 Still In First, Caprice Somehow In Second ... the Blues Brothers were right about Cop Cars!

Perhaps we'd just need to switch to an oil with enough of this additive and the problem goes away ... this would be GREAT news to me

·
Registered
377 Posts
It is a zinc additive that has been removed from the majority of today's oils as most manufacturers have gone to roller lifters. Flat tappet cams, and especially those with high or rapid lift characteristics are prone to wear, however, and the zinc additive is what prevents that wear.

I know that Redline oils contain the additive and I assume there are others. True motorcycle racing oils (4 stroke) always have the additive.

Jerry

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
How about Mobil 1? :eek:
Mobil 1, no.

Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Truck and Diesel Oil, yes - it still has the additives.

The new "SM" standard oil has the lower additive levels. The previous "SL" (and what was specified by Lotus) has the extra additives.

Search - it's been discussed several times...

·
Registered
4,985 Posts
Beside, if it was just an oil formulation problem, then why is it almost always the #3 intake and not evenly distributed?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W40 - you can read all about oils and see many pre and post use analyses in various engines here:

Bob Is The Oil Guy

They're serious oil geeks.

-john

·
Registered
440 Posts
How about AMSoil European formula?

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dang ... this isn't shaping up like I hoped it would

For the record, we have rollers or flat tappets?

·
Super Moderator
2,844 Posts
Those of you that stated I was using Mobil 1 5W40 Turbo Diesel Truck oil that still has the ZDDP anti-wear additive are correct and I am still using it now. Unfortunately using the Mobil 1 seemed to have no effect whatsoever on the abnormal wear to my cam lobe/follower #3 (like so many others) and the rest of the lobes and followers were in perfect condition and barely even worn in. After carefully inspecting my cam before it was sent away to Lotus, I am quite sure that lobe would have worn out the same no matter what oil I was using. The lobe and follower that wore only had 2,900 miles on them with less than 14 minutes of total time in "2nd cam" actuation. Even conventional oil just splashed on the cam and follower should have allowed that lobe to last more than 14 minutes under load! I still suspect bad metallurgy/hardening on that lobe to be the problem, but without having the old cam in my possession in order to take it to a metal lab for analysis, I can't confirm that. All I know is that my valve cover will be coming off again before next spring in order to inspect my new cam for wear before my warranty runs out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts