The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Woodcliff Lake, NJ, July 13, 2004... BMW has announced the all-new Club Sport Package for the 2005 M3 Coupe. Already renowned for its performance and handling, the new Club Sport Package takes M3 performance to the razor's edge. Every aspect of the M3's handling has been tweaked resulting in the best-handling M3 ever.

"The wheels are 19-inch forged-alloy wheels with high-performance tires. They connect to a suspension with more sporting calibration. Turn-in is quicker with a more direct steering ratio which goes from 15.4:1 to 14.5:1. The Dynamic Stability Control system includes a less intrusive M track mode to ensure that you can have the security of DSC and enjoy spirited driving too. For inclement conditions the regular DSC mode remains. To complement this increase in handling capability, the brakes have been modified to include compound and cross-drilled rotors. The front rotors have also been enlarged from 12.8 to 13.6 inches.

"As the serious enthusiast would expect, the Club Sport Package is available in combination with the optional Sequential Manual Gearbox.

"The interior enhancements of the package are subtle but purposeful. The Alcantara steering wheel and handbrake grip feel good to the touch. The addition of the steering wheel-mounted button for the DSC M track mode requires the deletion of the multi-function controls and cruise control. The Club Sport Package is available with all M3 Coupe interior and exterior color and trim combinations. Two options are exclusive to the Club Sport. Special Club Sport aluminum trim is available for the interior. A new exterior color, Interlagos Blue, is offered only with this package.

"The Club Sport Package will be available for 2005 M3 Coupes beginning with December 2004 production. The price for the package will be $4,000."

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
ringmeister said:

"The Club Sport Package will be available for 2005 M3 Coupes beginning with December 2004 production.
what was that about not waiting?

:crazyeyes :crazyeyes :crazyeyes :crazyeyes

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
And I'm sure atyclb can tell you how much better the Club sport option is vs. the std. M3. :) Not sure it is that much better of a car. But our M3 expert can ellaborate on the correctness of this statement.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
$4000 is right on the line of what's reasonable I think.

the "normal" 19" wheel upgrade costs $1750 already, so the fact that the ZCS package includes the (much sexier) 19" CSL-style wheel makes the true cost of the rest of the package around $2000. (Lots of people have been trying like crazy to just get the previously-exclusive CSL wheels at around $3300 for the set).

The euro cross-drilled rotors are also a popular post-purchase upgrade, which lots of folks have paid ~$800 for. And the ZCS package actually includes the larger CSL X-drilled rotors.

it's a mildly intriguing package, but only if you were already considering the M3.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
It seems to be reasonable in that case, but does it make it an Elise competitor suddenly? I think perhaps with an aftermarket suspension, some weight reduction, and a BBK, then maybe. Again, I don't know that much about the M3 potential but as stock I'd have to say no, even if it is faster around a longer course.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Vantage said:
It seems to be reasonable in that case, but does it make it an Elise competitor suddenly? I think perhaps with an aftermarket suspension, some weight reduction, and a BBK, then maybe. Again, I don't know that much about the M3 potential but as stock I'd have to say no, even if it is faster around a longer course.
I definitely don't see it swaying anyone that wasn't already considering the M3 into buying it.

·
Banned
6,941 Posts
I've got an E30 M3 ~2700 pounds. I've driven the E36 and E46 M3s - they just don't feel the same. The present M3 is heavier than the first M5 by the way. I think BMW should come out with a small M car.

Stan

·
Registered
866 Posts
Stan said:
I've got an E30 M3 ~2700 pounds. I've driven the E36 and E46 M3s - they just don't feel the same. The present M3 is heavier than the first M5 by the way. I think BMW should come out with a small M car.

Stan
I agree, and a nice reeingineering of the dash wouldn't hurt either. Just one thing though, I am always suprised with the performance of BMW compared to other cars with similiar horsepower. The new M5 is supposed to be 0-60 in 4.7 seconds oficially, although that might be conservative, and have a projected top speed of 205 MPH. I got the information from the speed channel, so it could be accurate, or maybe not. I think the M3 should target 3300 pounds, and lose the standard orange backlight. If the M5 could weigh 3500 pounds all the better.

P.S. I think this is the same reason why Audi is losing the German performance wars. They have less power, and A LOT MORE WEIGHT. Maybe the demand for the Elise will show these manyfactureres that there is a market for a lightweight fun automobile.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
205mph is accurate in theory, but BMW does not test or supply the car with tires made for going that quickly. They don't have to because of the speed governor at 155mph (or something like that). Not sure if the new M5 has a one, but I'm assuming from past cars.

The M2, if light, would be an intriguing car to drive.

·
Registered
587 Posts
The biggest problem with the club sport M3 is that in 2005, supposely the power moonroof is becoming standard equipment.

That 80 lb weight penalty at the roof line costs over $1000 as an option, and is bound to drive up the base price of the car. It's not even confirmed that there will be moonroof delete option (probably $0 if available).

So, an M3 with no options except the club sport package + dest is going to be in the mid $50's (plus tax) and still be a 3300-3400 lb car.

Meanwhile, all the BMW folks are b*tching about no cruise control.

I think I'll be waiting for my $42k Elise... I've done the M3 thing for a while. Great car, incredibly easy to look like a pro driving it. But I think I'm ready for a change and to step up to a more challenging car to drive.

- John

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Supposidely there is a no cost delete code that wasn't on the order sheet. Makes sense to me and hopefully that is the case for those wishing to mod their M3's for more serious usage.

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
I'll definitely be looking at the Club Sport Pack. Although, the M3 will be almost 10k more than the Elise. I'm not sure if I can afford that, but since the M3 was going to be the car I was going to buy before the Elise came along, I'll consider it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I priced out an M3 SMG a year ago at my local dealer and was quoted close to $5000 off MSRP. The addition of the CS package makes me think that sales have slowed and they are looking to give them a boost until the new model (V8 most likely) comes.

It's a lot more car for your money than the Elise which is nice (power, comfort, etc...) and at the same time not so nice (heavy pig).

I have a GT3 as well as a few E30 M3s so the CS isn't on my radar but it does seem like a pretty nice all-around car for the money. I definitely couldn't fault someone for choosing one over the Elise as a daily driver/occasional track toy.

·
Registered
587 Posts
$5k off MSRP?!

Man, back when I lived in NY, you couldn't even *get* M3's... used, new or otherwise. The dealers used to laugh me out of the showroom.

Now I live in California, and last time I went to the dealership they had a Silver Gray coupe on the showroom floor with a $5000 mark up **over** MSRP because they said the Silver Gray was a "limited edition".

I know this is B.S. but there is no sense arguing with them. Less than 24 hours later it was sold :rolleyes: .

I heard they were beginning to discount the verts but this is news to me.

Thanks for sharing...

- John

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I have been an Audi freak for the last 12 years. 83 urQ(track car), 86 5000Q, 86 Sport quattro #141, 90 V-8, 92-S-4, 93 S-4, 95 S-6, 95 S-6 Avant, 01 S-4 Avant (all sticks), 2002 S-6 Avant (tip), 2004 S-4 Avant stick (wife's current new car)
Audi has grown fat and heavy and I have been lusting for a lightweight ever since I sold the Sport Q!
TheElise is THE car I have been waiting for forever.....
Laser Blue LSS

·
shay2nak
24,910 Posts
suv_bait said:
$5k off MSRP?!

Man, back when I lived in NY, you couldn't even *get* M3's... used, new or otherwise. The dealers used to laugh me out of the showroom.

Now I live in California, and last time I went to the dealership they had a Silver Gray coupe on the showroom floor with a $5000 mark up **over** MSRP because they said the Silver Gray was a "limited edition".

I know this is B.S. but there is no sense arguing with them. Less than 24 hours later it was sold :rolleyes: .

I heard they were beginning to discount the verts but this is news to me.

Thanks for sharing...

- John
same here! The only time they will discount M cars is when a new body design comes out. That's it. And it probably won't even be as much as 5k. If it is true, it would definitely give my Elise a run for it's money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts