The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year is the year of a lotus for me finally, I can wait. Still waiting for the right car to come along in the market here... Being a longer term real wheal roadster guy it sure has grabbed my attention span. Thus for MR2's have had me but its time to change and here is one more reason.

With its 3.5 liter V6 engine, 295 horsepower and 0-60 mph in six seconds capability, we could see the GRMN zooming into dealerships in the near future
Toyota Showcases Its Hot GRMN Sports Hybrid Concept Car at Nürburgring Race Toyota to Showcase its Second Generation Hybrid Sports Car at Nürburgring Race ? Inhabitat - Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building

Really? You can't even get to 60 faster then 5 second with a 6 cylinder engine? Ok sure its a green engine, but with almost 300hp ya think they could. The car is a bit nicer looking then the spyder but its no elise!

·
Registered
972 Posts
Wow, that thing must weigh a ton to have 295HP and do 0-60 in 6 seconds... looks WAY too busy for my taste design-wise and I realize the Elise design isn't exactly curve-less.

Who's it designed for? The sport enthusiast that wants to feel good about the environment? All the vegan, granola-crunching, sandals-toting, filthy-hair, flannel-sporting, skinny-jean wearing dorks with Buddy Holly glasses and ski-caps in the summer crowd?

Looks like a solution in search of a problem to me but to each their own :D

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Boyd Coddington had a philosophy on cars that I agree with.

You start at one end of the car and sweep your eyes to the other end of the car. Anything your eyes get hung up on probably should be changes as it runes the design.

I saw 4 things starting at the beginning of the car before I get to the windshield. 1) The bumpers look like a cheap add on. 2) The headlights look like they didnt get the clear plastic covers on before they took the picture. 3) the black scoop thing on the hood. 4) The wheel wells seem a size or two too big for the tires.

And for me the sad part is that is the good looking end of the car.

YMMV but it would need a LOT of horse power to overcome its looks.

Yep, I will keep the Elise

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doug_porsche, that is a good point. I never noticed that before but there is a lot of truth in that.

·
Premium Member
2,978 Posts

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
As noted, the headlights are WAAAY too busy. Its the first and only thing I see.

Also, as I noted in a thread about this car before, the choice of color is terrible. I don't like that color on any car and it's terrible on this car - especially with the grey accents. I think it could look interesting if they killed the ugly headlights and that thing on the hood and had it all a single color - say a Maserati pearl white or even the Voodoo Blue color from the FJ Cruiser.

I see what they were TRYING to do. Honestly, if I follow the bottom line along the car, I see a bit of R8 - but not in a good way. Makes you realize how Lotus just knocked it out of the park with the iconic styling of the Elise.

I do see elements of the Renault Sport Spyder and a bit of small R8, but unfortunately, it's just coming across as a really busy Mitsubishi Eclipse spyder

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just don't get the automotive "eco" craze. To be clear, I do believe in global warming, social responsibility, etc. But I don't understand how a 3200 hybrid that gets 40 mpg by mining rare earth elements at great impact to the regions with these minerals, is supposed to be better than my sister's '92 civic that still gets over 40 in town and 50 on the highway. True, her civic doesn't have a tv screen in the dash, but I think that's a win as well.
Oh, and insert "if I had a Fiero I'd consider that body kit" joke here.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
972 Posts
It looks aftermarket and in a totally uncool way. And I think it's bone stock, which is pretty sad. It's like they got an older style Celica, chopped the top and added a horrendous body-kit to it.

Do. Not. Want.

·
Back to the Future, again
6,183 Posts
It looks aftermarket and in a totally uncool way. And I think it's bone stock, which is pretty sad. It's like they got an older style Celica, chopped the top and added a horrendous body-kit to it.

Do. Not. Want.
Liar!

You know you want to get this car, then immediately go into the fast lane and drive 45 miles per hour and then when you are at a red light, go to the right most turning lane, then speed up and try to beat the car on the left in a proper lane before you smash into a parked car, and then put a few big fart can exhausts on it and play some loud rap music while leaning all the way back so you are driving from the trunk and always gotta have your left hand on the 12 o'clock position while flat-brimming the hat so you can show'em who's boss and if any messes wit'chu, then you gots ta regulate a lil sumthin sumthin, know what I'm sayin, dawg?

Oh, don't forget the stick on fake vents on the quarter panels, pinstriping, halo, huge spoiler, and firefly valve stem caps.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Liar!

You know you want to get this car, then immediately go into the fast lane and drive 45 miles per hour and then when you are at a red light, go to the right most turning lane, then speed up and try to beat the car on the left in a proper lane before you smash into a parked car, and then put a few big fart can exhausts on it and play some loud rap music while leaning all the way back so you are driving from the trunk and always gotta have your left hand on the 12 o'clock position while flat-brimming the hat so you can show'em who's boss and if any messes wit'chu, then you gots ta regulate a lil sumthin sumthin, know what I'm sayin, dawg?

Oh, don't forget the stick on fake vents on the quarter panels, pinstriping, halo, huge spoiler, and firefly valve stem caps.
Bastard! You owe me a new keyboard and some Rhinoplasty for the soda I just spit out my nose. rotflrotfl

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
I'm not seeing ricer for this car.

What I'm seeing is this being the new Mitsubishi Eclipse spyder or Scion TC - meaning that it will be driven by hot blonde teenage girls because that's who I see driving every Mitsu Eclipse convertible.

When I was in college it was Miatas. I know, since I've become a 'car guy' I've learned that Miatas are apparently the greatest thing since nutella, but in the early 90's, it was hot sorority girls in Miatas. So much so that the sorority my gf at the time at Indiana University was in was labeled 'Phi Kappa Miata'

:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hot girl, cool car: why do so few people see that this is a win-win?

I never think of a Miata as a "chick car", now a mustang on the other hand...

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm not seeing ricer for this car.

What I'm seeing is this being the new Mitsubishi Eclipse spyder or Scion TC - meaning that it will be driven by hot blonde teenage girls because that's who I see driving every Mitsu Eclipse convertible.

When I was in college it was Miatas. I know, since I've become a 'car guy' I've learned that Miatas are apparently the greatest thing since nutella, but in the early 90's, it was hot sorority girls in Miatas. So much so that the sorority my gf at the time at Indiana University was in was labeled 'Phi Kappa Miata'

:)
Out here in LA I see a lot more guys driving the Scions and Eclipses (with or without awful add-ons). The hot blonde college girls are driving Altima's, VW's and other random cars. Miatas are more popular in West Hollywood for everyday drivers with the occasional pimped out ride for track/auto-x use.

I had no idea they were the greatest thing since sliced bread either just learned that a year or two ago myself. :bow:

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the spyder was an attempt to gain the female market and they did capture quite a few. I was really hesitant getting one but I wanted something affordable at the time. This new one does look like a collage of cars put together to me and just reenforces that fact more cylinders are not necessarily better. Just like when eclipse replace the DSM for a big old clunky 6. Really though, why a bigger engine? Toyota is so scared of using a SC. OH wait, the idea was to stay green, right...

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Green is so lame.

No one would call my Elise a 'green car', but I probably get better mileage that 70% of the cars on the road.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Green is so lame.
It's just one step closer to speed controlled cars. Soon your driving will be dictated. Green smart cars with auto drive for all of us. Just enter your destination and hit go.

that thing must weigh a ton to have 295HP and do 0-60 in 6 seconds
Now that I think of it its all the damn cells weighing it down.

Are these both oxymorons
green sports car
battery powered car with 6 cyl.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts