The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To all,

Next week (Tuesday) I’m celebrating my 20th year “anniversary” of my stroke! On February 26, 1988 I had a CVA (CerebroVascular Accident).

I couldn’t speak, I could not read, could not write and I couldn’t understand the spoken word. Most doctors told me I could not recover.
I was a basket case. Image this. I had my memory, but I could not communicate. It was like a prison in your own mind!

After a few months, my medical insurance gave up on me. I had to sell just about everything I owned to afford the speech therapy I needed.

Most people that had strokes like mine had 5 years to live. So I had therapy for 3 years. Slowly I recovered to the point I can write this post to you.

You see, I’m living on “borrowed time”. My life is now different. I appreciate and relish every precious moment of my life! I really think EVERYONE lives on "borrowed time". My time became a bit more precarious.

Maybe that’s why I bought that Lotus, my dream car, took a trip to Greek Isles to see a Total Eclipse of the sun and flew to Hawaii last December to get married.

I never thought I’d be living in the fast lane, but I'd never change it now!

I felt that others should experience my passion in sports cars and astronomy.
That’s why I set up sports car events with astronomy themes and increased my involvement in teaching astronomy.
That really made me extremely happy!:D

So think about me on February 26th and do something special for yourself! LIFE IS SHORT AND PRECIOUS! Live each day like it’s your last!

Waiting for the “new” Lotus? Buy it now. Get that special aftermarket part. How about the supercharger? Anything that makes you happy.

Have a glass of wine tonight for me. We’ll toast to….LIFE!:wave:

Thanks!

--Hal

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
:clap:
Hal,

Glad you're still here and enjoying life. Life is short and very precious and one never knows when one's time is up.

My sister-in-law had a CVA at 38 years old. 180 degree turn around in her attitude towards life and how she treats others after surviving that incident.

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I hear you. :bow:

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Hal,

Very happy you're still around! :D

Congrats!

·
Registered
624 Posts
wow Amazing story. Glad you are living it up

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey! You drive a Lotus! You're almost there!

Place a log in the fireplace and light it.
Did you have that glass of wine yet?:D

--Hal

·
Registered
556 Posts
I somehow picked up Crohn's when I was 20 (8 years ago). I dropped from 145lb to 115lb in like a month, and it took the better part of the next 3 years to figure out what diet etc. worked for me. This was definitely the lowest point emotionally-speaking of my entire life, due to this and other things happening at the time. Of course, the doctors told me I'd be on pills for the rest of my life. Well, needless to say I had a problem with that as the medication was useless and caused problems of its own, so I got strict on myself and solved it by literally getting back to basics when it comes to food. I stopped taking medication of any kind 3 years ago, and am in better health than 9x% of the people around me, with 0 symptoms.

My date isn't Feb26, it's something in Nov 2004, but hey...

So yeah, life is precious :) That whole ordeal came at a very inopportune time in life, and in many ways I'm still playing catch-up. But still, I learned a few things through this that I couldn't have learned any other way.

·
shay2nak
25,000 Posts
that is amazing! Glad you are here, in good health, enjoying life, the wife and the lotus! :D
Ara

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
At first I was going to say "well that explains all the silly threads," but the truth is, I like them, and I would rather just congratulate you :)

Congrats :)
For me, driving a Lotus is part of the culmination of life. It makes me laugh, smile and feel sublime, serious enjoyment. Maybe this explains the "silly threads". Driving a Lotus makes me relax. I feel comfortable with the "family" of LotusTalk forum members. It kind of shakes me up a bit when my "silly" threads are flamed by "serious" people.:eek:
But that's OK. That's part of life too.:wave:

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
For me, driving a Lotus is part of the culmination of life. It makes me laugh, smile and feel sublime, serious enjoyment. Maybe this explains the "silly threads". Driving a Lotus makes me relax. I feel comfortable with the "family" of LotusTalk forum members. It kind of shakes me up a bit when my "silly" threads are flamed by "serious" people.:eek:
But that's OK. That's part of life too.:wave:
I like you, you're a good guy. Some people take themselves too seriously, don't let them get to you :) :clap:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thank for sharing that experience with us Hal, I'm glad you are with us!

Say, we should have another weekend drive, set up a date and I'm there. :shift:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts