The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s heart healthy! I’ve told my wife since I owned my Elise and now the Exige, that there is something going on physiologically speaking when I drive it. Palms sweat, heart races and I feel a little euphoric. Yesterday, I went for a spirited drive before my workout with my heart rate monitor on. I got on it up a long entrance ramp to the freeway, on second cam most of the way, up to about 100 mph. My heart rate was at 155-eek-! Proof! On the 30 minute drive my average heart rate was 128. So it’s not the tread mill, but it’s a hell of a lot more fun. I wish I had thought of wearing the heart rate monitor to the track. I’ll bet it would be scary high! BTW as a beta, I drove the Lexus to the gym today and never got the heart rate above 75:(.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
That's awesome! Empirical proof and medical evidence that Lotus is fun to drive. Now you don't have to explain how great they are...just show them your EKG! rotfl

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Will it lower my blood pressure also?

·
Registered
168 Posts
My Elise helps me not taking weight: it´s difficult to get in with too much belly. :nanner:

On the other side, I get more wrinkles around the eyes cause I can´t stop grinning when I drive it. :sad:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think it does all those things!

and +1 on the keeping weight off. Buying a carbon fiber rear diffuser doesn't help much if you pack the weight savings back on your a$$. At 6' 2" 225 lbs., I don't have much room to grow.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Haha I know the feeling. When I had my Honda 954RR Id come home hands shaking after some spirited riding. Good way to get a cardio workout while having a blast. Not only are lotus' fun but healthy too.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Good way to get a cardio workout while having a blast. Not only are lotus' fun but healthy too.
Elevated HR during spirited driving (or other stress factors) has no effect on cardio fitness. Unfortunately, there's no substitute for the treadmill, so do speak :no:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
In my professional medical opinion... (Enginerd not a doctor ;) )

Sounds like you are driving outside of your comfort limit... Or beyond your skill...

First couple of times on the track I got the jitters in my foot, and the fast heartbeat and dry cotton mouth. But now I don't

·
shay2nak
25,133 Posts
funny, for me it's totally relaxing drive even when I rip through the canyons. When I'm on my daily commute then my heart rate and stress goes up because I have to deal with knuckle drivers. Canyons are usually clear and I'm at peace with how fast or slow I want to drive.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
funny, for me it's totally relaxing drive even when I rip through the canyons. When I'm on my daily commute then my heart rate and stress goes up because I have to deal with knuckle drivers. Canyons are usually clear and I'm at peace with how fast or slow I want to drive.
...that's my own experience save when i'm anxiously scanning ahead for law enforcement or scanning back for the group, both of which sadly have been greater and greater proportions of my spirited drives of late...

...i think i'm psyching myself out - i need to fly solo more frequently... :(

·
Registered
965 Posts
Yes! When I get my Lotus i won't be Overweight then! :p
I need to show this to my mom, and then she'll stop complaining to get some exercise. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts