The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another Ronin Katana install! *Update*

I had the Ronin Katana installed yesterday. Install was very smooth, instructions are pretty good. The only problem really was that we received the wrong gasket for the throttle body. We ended using sillicone. The charcoal canister relocation is ok. But some hoses have to be bent and one hose goes over the sc and it doesn't look too good.

We let the car idle for 15min. Then I headed out on the street. At first the car was odd. On and off throttle. At tip in car would bug then go like a bat out of hell. Very weird. I was wondering what the hell was going on. But after 10-15min, everything seems to be allright. Drivability around town is at least as good and probably better than stock. Start up is definately better. Cold start buggin that my car had is now gone as well.

Now for the boost zone of the drive. Well, let's make this clear, I had a 185hp 1000lbs Caterham Super7. So pretty much everything feels slow now. I expected the Elise to be faster than stock and it is. But it is nowhere close to the Caterham from 0-75mph. After that the extra ooomph and better aero probably shift the momentum to the Katana Elise. Like my Caterham, the acceleration is VERY linear. I mean once your body compensate for the initial acceleration, you don't feel how hard you accelerate unless you look at the speedo. Fourth, fifth and sixth gear now have some utility even under 6000rpm. In fact 4th 5th and 6th can provide some good momentum as low as 4000rpm. But it is still just a 140lbs.ft tirque car.

I expected a bit much though. I used to drive turbo cars and this is my first SC car. It really does feel like a bigger engine. You don't "feel" the boost like you do in a turbo car. You still need the revs. On a turbo car, you get full boost at part throttle and it makes the car so easy to drive effortlessly. The SC still need WOT to have full thrust (at least it feels like it does).

The only flaw, and I don't know if it's anything at all, is that 1st gear is not that strong. Maybe it's the people reporting that the 1st gear is gone really fast. But I feel like it makes lots of noise but doesn't pull that hard. Second and third gear don't seem to do that. I don't know maybe it's my mind. Maybe it's suffering from too much back pressure (I still have the stock exhaust)? Maybe it's the fact the tires don't break traction in first gear?

Finally, I had no detonation at all. Temps were nice and low. Everything seems to be just right. I didn't hear the belt slip and didn't see any rubber dust. The sc is pretty quiet too. I only hear from 6500+rpm. My GF thinks it's very smooth and likes the overall feel of the SC. Overall I'm pretty happy with the kit and can't wait to install the new exhaust. This is gonna be great.

I planned a dyno in a couple weeks to see all ponies are present. I still want to let the ECU learn as the car seems to be stronger and better every time I get out to drive it.

*update* Today was my second day with the SC. Car seems to be pulling harder. I don't know if its my mind. But today car felt strong and pulls quite hard. Drivability is VERY good. It is very easy to drive fast. I now use the lower part of the power band. I am constantly cruising around 4000rpm and I have quite a lot of power even that low. I don't chase the 6200rpm cam switch point like before. I don't need to. And the cam switch over is now unperceptible. So smooth you'd swear the cam doesn't switch. GREAT JOB Charlie! :coolnana:

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot, first time I tried to start the car, the car refused to start. I couldn't join Charlie but could join Frank (Ronin). He helped track the problem which was a loose crank angle sensor and the car started right away. :clap:

Frank thank you very much for your help. You didn't need to. But it was/is hugely appreciated! You rock! :coolnana:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Great to hear your success!!!! Yep, the Eaton SCs do make cars feel likethere is a bigger motor..no lag/power spike...that's the beauty of the SC.

More reviews like this have me really considering takingthe plunge.

If I may ask - did you upgrade the clutch? Is it needed?

Thanks,
TomK

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great to hear your success!!!! Yep, the Eaton SCs do make cars feel likethere is a bigger motor..no lag/power spike...that's the beauty of the SC.

More reviews like this have me really considering takingthe plunge.

If I may ask - did you upgrade the clutch? Is it needed?

Thanks,
TomK
No clutch slippage at all. I tried different part of the map by using all kind of revs in all gears. I tried a bunch of things. The clutch is good. I don't think anyone needed a new clutch on the base kit.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update!

I realised after only a few miles that something was not right with my car. I had some belt slippage especially in 1st gear, but really all gear at some point would slip the belt. Even on start up, I would hear the belt slip. So I changed for a 1/2inch shorter belt.

Started the car, no belt slipping noise. So already it's better.

Went for a test drive... me-> :crazyeyes
Holy ****, this is NOT the same car. My god, now I know what it feels like when full boost kicks in. I now realise that my belt was probably slipping more than I thought it was. First gear now has some serious pulling power. Not just noise as before I changed the belt. Car feels much stronger in all gears. I don't need to chase the higher revs, there is nice torque down low.

I don't know how much power slipped by with the old belt, but now, WOW is all I have to say. This is what I had in mind. It now feels like a real mid 12s car.

I can also hear the sc whine as low as 4-5000rpm instead of 7000+ like before. The car as is, is how it should come from the factory. The performance now matches the amazing looks.

Thanks to Ronin, Charlie and everyone at Sector who made this kit possible! :clap:

·
Registered
295 Posts
doesnt the kit come with new belts ? how come yours were bigger ?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
doesnt the kit come with new belts ? how come yours were bigger ?
The kit comes with a new belt. It was just a bit long for my car. It seems it is perfect for some others. I guess it's just a matter of a few mm. I've read many had a slipping belt problem. Sector told me they taught about sending a smaller belt, but that it could not fit on some cars. Their feeling is that is has something to do with the belt tensionner not being equal on all cars.

Anyway, problem solved. It was no big deal really.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have two belts. One from a Celica Greddy kit, and one from a Katana kit (larger to account for the upgraded idler pulley). Which one should I install with my kit? I don't want any belt slippage.

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
I have two belts. One from a Celica Greddy kit, and one from a Katana kit (larger to account for the upgraded idler pulley). Which one should I install with my kit? I don't want any belt slippage.
The Celica belt won't fit. You either need 70" belt or a 70.5" belt with stock pulley and updated idler. The tensioners are goofy on these cars. Some are very tight and work great with the supplied 70.5" belt. Others are looser and need/accept a 70" belt. *Most* cars work best with the belt that's supplied with the kit... We usualy only post about problems, so we only hear about the 10% of the cars that need a shorter belt...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
208 Posts
Umm, I think Phil means 87" (Dayco Gold 5060870) and 86.5" (Dayco 5060865) ;) Gold label is not available (here)for 5060865. Its called Dayco Polycog only, but according to distributors, Dayco 6PVK2195 (metric) is equivalent to Gold label .

Jean

·
Vendor
6,305 Posts
:wallbang: Doh, you're right, Jean. Sorry about that. I had not downed my first cup of coffee when I wrote that;) I've got too many belt lengths in my head. Just super charged two different Tacomas last week and things are starting bleed together:crazyeyes

Thanks for keeping me straight Jean:up:

Point is to run the belt you were sent and see how it works. If you need a shorter one, just go .5" shorter...

Best,

Phil

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry, my distributor was wrong... Dayco Gold label is still available and is a better belt than Poly Cog and PVK metric series. Its construction is stronger to meet higher torque and power.
So, the Katana kit comes now with a 87.5" belt (5060875)
If the belt slips, you need : 87" (5060870)
And for a 3.2" pulley : 86.5" (5060865)
These belts are called Dayco Poly Cog Gold Label series.

Jean

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry, my distributor was wrong... Dayco Gold label is still available and is a better belt than Poly Cog and PVK metric series. Its construction is stronger to meet higher torque and power.
So, the Katana kit comes now with a 87.5" belt (5060875)
If the belt slips, you need : 87" (5060870)
And for a 3.2" pulley : 86.5" (5060865)
These belts are called Dayco Poly Cog Gold Label series.

Jean
Where do you get them? Frank suggested I buy a spare...

·
Registered
815 Posts
how will I know if my belt is slipping? I may want a small belt just in case.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how will I know if my belt is slipping? I may want a small belt just in case.
You are gonna hear it sream like the belt on an old Ford Tempo... Don't worry.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Try your local Car Quest or Uniselect...
CarQuest only had carquest belts (made by Gates). It's ok for now. But I'd rather have the Dayco gold...

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
*update*

I put the car on a Mustang dyno and got 191rwhp. A bit low, that's for sure, but Mustang are known for reading lower than Dynojet.

A stcok Elise dynoed today on the same dyno and got 140rwhp. That's at least 20rwhp down on what regular Elise see on a Dynojet. So all in all, the Katana on my car is worth 51rwhp. Exactly within S111 specs.

:nanner:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts