The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I post this only because when my car had its first brush with bad luck, such reviews were virtually the only real help in making my decision on which body shop to choose.

Add this one to another incredible experience with Specialty Car Craft of Los Angeles. As we are all aware, the Lotus carries a significant learning curve to anyone who comes near it, be it a driver, passenger, mechanic or guy at the gas pump asking you questions. I truly believe that as a body shop, SCC sits near or at the peak of that curve. The team is composed of true individual experts who communicate closely and blend to produce a genius result - if the total car was an artistic medium, they are as close to mastering it as I have seen.

Specifically, I drove through a cloud of sizable wood and rock debris picked up by the wheels of the truck before me, at highway speeds, on HWY 5, in traffic moderate enough to block my usual evasive maneuvers. Still looking for the guy who lost this crap from the back of his truck, probably seconds before the event. Short story, the car ended up getting a new front clam and a whole body paint job.

Paint match: Believe it or not this is very difficult for a lifestyle color (Graphite Gray), and I know at least one other body shop with more prestige, resources and staff, which could not get this part right after several attempts. SCC got it PERFECT. This means a lot coming from me, who raves about the intricacies of this particular color, and its behavior in different lighting situations.

Mechanical: By this time they've done so many Elises, that they do not succumb to the pitfalls. As an example, they made a custom metal radiator shield which fits on top of the radiator, to prevent from crinkling the 'riblets' when the clam is off. All my body seams were the perfect thickness all around, lights were leveled, and all was functional. Again, not everyone pulls this off.

Clear Bra: PERFECT application. You can ask for OEM, but the one they recommend seems better - no yellowing over time, cut more exact to cover edges just a little closer, and make seam lines even more difficult to find.

Customer Service: the best part. I emailed a list of a dozen oddball requests halfway through, and could not find a single one that was not addressed in the end. Steve and Henry make every effort to address even the most nit-picky concern of yours, they are responsive and accomodating, and very human. The predominant attitude is "no problem, I'll personally make sure it gets done", rather than experiences I had in other places, along the lines of "that will be difficult, we'll try, but we're doing you a favor, and it will probably cost more".

In short, my car today looks, feels and drives as if Steve was working on his own 'baby'.

I'm moving, and I truly regret that my car will be 2200 miles away from this particular organization. Unless someone convinces me otherwise, I'm strongly considering flatbedding my car back to them, should I need bodywork again.

Anyhow, by bringing the car back to mint, they got me ready to close the SoCal chapter of my life, as I am moving to Chicago. In the interest of preserving their artistry, two rolls of painter's tape were used for the 3-day trip. Look for that thread coming soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
Very nice review. It's awesome to find a servicer that will go the extra mile.

I do notice you put a lot of time into safeguarding the starshield with that tape. -poke-

xtn

·
Registered
2006 Lotus Elise
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... It was worth it. I got abused a little by some 18-wheelers in Arizona, and then a lot by 3 tornados in Colorado (no joke). Rocks flying everywhere. But more on that in my next post. :)

·
shay2nak
25,069 Posts
glad you're happy with the car. when did you move to Chicago!?

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
It's been awhile and we miss you.

Thanks for the great review and the fantastic pictures.

We hope everyone on Lotus Talk will come visit The Best Body Shop In Los Angeles to experience for themselves The Best Lotus Body Repair. As Swistun (Luke) said, "Specialty Car Craft is responsive and accommodating, and very human."

www.specialtycarcraft.com

1 - 6 of 6 Posts