The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after searching through a dozen or so other threads and not finding much I finally broke down and started yet another thread to ask about seats.

I have an 05 with touring pack that am looking to start tracking, to do so I would like to get a harness and a HANS which has led me down the rabbit hole to seats. The car is still primarily a weekend cruiser so I would prefer something that isn't too obscene for a trip down the river to a quaint little town for dinner which makes Exige seats appealing.The wife is also into cars and will be participating in the track days and I would expect we will both be riding along a fair amount, which means we are looking for two seats, yet again another mark for a pair of Exige seats. I remember from the last time I looked into this coming across the issue that the Exige seats didn't have cutouts at the bottom for a 5 point harness. One part of me is torn to go for an option that doesn't conform to safety standards, but the other part of me looks at the pros/cons of Exige seats for my usage and sees it as adding the HANS/shoulders to the existing rather than taking the 5th point out of the equation; it's still a net gain and addresses the neck injury I'm worried about.

Any thoughts on Exige seats for light track and general cruising, inputs on safety of 4 vs 5 point harnesses, links to threads I couldn't find where all this is discussed or offers to sell me a pair of seats (preferably corona-free) that you just happen to be trying to unload?

·
Registered
358 Posts
I really like my Corbeau Le Pro replacements for my '05 touring seats. Easy to get in and out, pretty stable to keep you planted. On the 4 or 5 point belt issue, I personally will never go the 4 point route; without an anti-sub belt (or belts) you can't properly tighten the other belts, and are better off with the stock 3-point. If you are going with the expense, and safety level of a HANS, you definitely want a proper harness set up.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really like my Corbeau Le Pro replacements for my '05 touring seats. Easy to get in and out, pretty stable to keep you planted. On the 4 or 5 point belt issue, I personally will never go the 4 point route; without an anti-sub belt (or belts) you can't properly tighten the other belts, and are better off with the stock 3-point. If you are going with the expense, and safety level of a HANS, you definitely want a proper harness set up.
Checking out their website, how do they work with the stock mounting rails? The other complication here is that I need the seat most of the way back and the wife needs it basically 100% forward. If she can reach the pedals I am physically unable to get into the car with the seat in that position. If a proper seat means it's fixed then that won't work.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
My wife and I love my Exige seats in my '05. I bought them after a previous owner cut the hole for the sub belt, but I would've done the same. With a 6pt, the crotch belt mounting is much more important than the sub belt on a 5pt, so a 5pt would be easier to mount correctly for both you and your wife.

Also, if you or your wife has an instructor ride along on track, they tend to require the same seats and belts for both seats.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My wife and I love my Exige seats in my '05. I bought them after a previous owner cut the hole for the sub belt, but I would've done the same. With a 6pt, the crotch belt mounting is much more important than the sub belt on a 5pt, so a 5pt would be easier to mount correctly for both you and your wife.

Also, if you or your wife has an instructor ride along on track, they tend to require the same seats and belts for both seats.
Anyone know what it's like trying to do a cutout through the Exige seats? If I can make them work I think they are my preferred option.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,369 Posts
For the cost of Exige seats you can be looking at Tillet seats that are designed for the 5/6 attachment points and they will fit the slider with an adapter. I think HK Fever has some seats as well, those look good to me if I were in the market for a seat with more side support. I have Technocraft seats and they are fine for a few hours to me, I understand if you need a little more cushion though. If you're stepping up to HANS then I'd get a seat made with the extra hole vs. cutting one. I strongly recommend not running a 4 point regardless of the anti-sub design, note that many tracks are moving away from allowing 4 point anyway.

If you've never been on track I'd recommend using the stock belts and the CG lock to make sure this is something you want both want to do. If it is then being planted in the seat is a good investment.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For the cost of Exige seats you can be looking at Tillet seats that are designed for the 5/6 attachment points and they will fit the slider with an adapter. I think HK Fever has some seats as well, those look good to me if I were in the market for a seat with more side support. I have Technocraft seats and they are fine for a few hours to me, I understand if you need a little more cushion though. If you're stepping up to HANS then I'd get a seat made with the extra hole vs. cutting one. I strongly recommend not running a 4 point regardless of the anti-sub design, note that many tracks are moving away from allowing 4 point anyway.

If you've never been on track I'd recommend using the stock belts and the CG lock to make sure this is something you want both want to do. If it is then being planted in the seat is a good investment.
What do you think would be the best option, if there is one, that retains the stock 3 point and general "comfort" for day to day driving while not compromising on an occasional track day? I've done track days and sit in a 5 point harness all the time at work, tracking is definitely something we both want to do, I just don't want to severely compromise the car as a cruiser for one or two track days a year. If the answer is to keep the OEM and just swap them out as part of track prep then so be it, I would really like to find some sort of a compromise if possible. I would also still like to be able to bring friends and family in the car, I'm not sure my father would be able to handle full blown race seats so well anymore.

·
Registered
4,281 Posts
What do you think would be the best option, if there is one, that retains the stock 3 point and general "comfort" for day to day driving while not compromising on an occasional track day? I've done track days and sit in a 5 point harness all the time at work, tracking is definitely something we both want to do, I just don't want to severely compromise the car as a cruiser for one or two track days a year. If the answer is to keep the OEM and just swap them out as part of track prep then so be it, I would really like to find some sort of a compromise if possible. I would also still like to be able to bring friends and family in the car, I'm not sure my father would be able to handle full blown race seats so well anymore.
I'm obviously biased, but Exige seats fit the bill for what you're asking. The seat foam in '06+ seats is much more comfortable than the '05 seats (although you lose the lumbar adjustability, so some prefer a harder seat with tuned lumbar). I've driven in them 8+ hours, and they were great. They absolutely do not hold you in as well as something with aggressive side bolsters, but that's where the harness makes up for it a lot. I did dump my 3pt completely though to prevent clutter. I've read enough papers about crash safety analysis of harnesses in street use to be perfectly fine with them over the 3pt.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at the options, I like the idea of the Exige ones, but they seem a bit hard to find and would need to be modified. The Tillet look great but are the most expensive and the Corbeau looks good at a mid range price. What is the Corboeau like for day to day and how well does it work with the standard 3 point?

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
You never mentioned how much yall weigh and how wide your shoulders are, that could change the answers.

But 90+% of people exige with DIY sub belt hole will be a great answer and I have won a national championship and set a few track records with that setup. Also I am 99% sure you can use the stock 3 point and the harness with no changing back and forth. I am sure any of the corbeau or 3rd party carbon seats that look like the exige seats would be good too.

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
340 Posts
Anyone know what it's like trying to do a cutout through the Exige seats? If I can make them work I think they are my preferred option.
I did the cut-outs on an 05 Elise. Got the grommets from Inokinetic. Used a dremel. There is only 1 decent location for the shoulder points. When looking at the seats from the back, you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Checking out their website, how do they work with the stock mounting rails? The other complication here is that I need the seat most of the way back and the wife needs it basically 100% forward. If she can reach the pedals I am physically unable to get into the car with the seat in that position. If a proper seat means it's fixed then that won't work.
The Corbeau bolts to the Lotus slider, functions exactly as stock. Have your Wife slide the seat back before she gets out.

·
Addict
2007 Lotus Exige S
1,369 Posts
If you already had the Exige seats I get just cutting the hole and moving on. If you can find them cheap enough then go for it, though I think you might hurt resale if that is a goal. For what I was able to sell my stock Exige seats for I was not out of pocket much on CF seats, so I would encourage shopping knowing it'll be close in price. The Exige seats were not that great for long trips to begin with and many CF seats can have padding added. If the Elise seats are fine I think you'll be close adding padding to another seat. I think the Tillets are a good seat and are still as easy to get into as a stock seat.

With 2 track days a year I'm not sure if I would be buying seats or not. I've been in several stock cars on track driven by people that do a few HPDE days a year and have felt fine with the 3 point belts. That said a harness is better keeping you in the seat. To really be safer though you need to remove the airbag and use the HANS, if you're far enough back maybe not the airbag but if you wife is right next to the wheel with a helmet on that is something to consider.

As far as compromise, I think you'll be fine with either Exige seats or CF seats with padding and not need to swap them out. There is also a way to run both belts all the time without having to swap those either. Maybe some people with padded seats can chime in with how they do on longer trips, I've done 3 hours in mine and been just as good as the stock seats were. You can also have more padding on the passenger seat, the rules I've seen say you need to provide the same belt setup for the instructor but doesn't have to be the exact same seat.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Responding to a few at once. Neither of are are that large, we both would like to lose some weight but are not limited in seat options based on our size.

While I like the idea of Exige seats, I'm not sure if they're worth the cost vs race seats, especially if they aren't readily available.

As I alluded to, the driving factor for the harness is the HANS. For light track use I would generally think the 3 point with a helmet is suitable, I just want the extra neck protection. I've thought of the airbag, I'll do a little more research but for our use I'm not that worried about it and I could always just add a kill switch. I definitely want to retain it for day to day driving with the 3 points.

Still open to more thoughts and suggestions or offers to sell.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have the LE Pro's and really like them. They bolt right up to the stock rails and belts (seeing that they make the stock seats). I find them MUCH more comfortable than stock Elise seats. I went with the cloth version which is very padded and comes with the removable thigh bolster. I have been on several 6hr roundtrips with both setups and hands down the LE's win out. They are also way more "snug" than the stockers but are a bit wider on the top. I don't track the car but toss her thru several curvy mountain passes and I hold way better.

Been running them for a few years now. Also if you want to move to a harness setup, the LE's are already set up for it with no cutting needed. I got mine as a gift from the wife but sold my somewhat worn stock Elise seats in less than 24hrs to a guy with a Miata for $900. The seats are very popular with them and they snag them up quick.

Not saying they are the best seats out there but for the cost, comfort, OE quality and fitment, they are very good.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to go with the Corbeaus.

Reactions: Mobius97

·
Plural of Lotus is Lotus
340 Posts
...or if you will only do 1-2 track days annually, you could skip the harness and do something like this...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Thanks for all the advice, I think I'm going to go with the Corbeaus.
I honestly don't think you will be disappointed. The LE's fit the balance that you described. A good affordable seat that retains stock functions and can do double duty as a "more comfortable than stock" option while being track focused with better body support and full harness options if wanted.

·
Registered
989 Posts
The Lotus Cup seats are the Recaro Profi SPG. They fit perfectly and are very comfortable and can even be used for daily driving. Best of all, no DIY cutting holes in seats to mount a 5/6-point harness.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Here is a list of seats I know fit.

edit: Apparently pasting a table works in the editor, but not once it's posted.

Lotus Exige Probax
Bride Zodia
Corbeau LE-Pro
Cobra Pro Racer 7
Cobra MONACO PRO
Recaro Profi SPG
Recaro Profi SPA
Sparco Rev
Sparco Pro 2000 LF
Tillett B5
Tillett B6 Screamer
Tillett B6 Screamer - Edge Cut