The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pretty much thought that after the dealer fixed everything at my first service, I wouldn't have to deal with any new problems for awhile. WRONG! :facepalm

Now I'm noticing when the car sits in the sun for an hour, the plastic drainage molding at the bottom of my windshield heats up and warps, causing it to lift up about a 1/4 of an inch and about 8 inches long. I can see that double sided tape was used to hold it down but the tape is obviously not holding. When taken out of the sunlight, it cools down and the molding settles flat against the windshield again.

I'm not going to have the dealer fix this since I'm sure they'd just use the same lousy tape again, so, I'm thinking of removing a couple of the screws, lifting the molding up and applying some silicon along the length of it, then screwing it back down.

Have any of you had this problem and if so, what did you use to tie it down to the windshield? Is there a better double-sided waterproof tape or have you used silicon? Thanks for your input.

EFE EVS :up:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your talking about that long plastic bit that is below the windscreen wiper?
Correct! It is a water drainage collector that has drain slots in it for the water coming down from the windshield to drain into. With it lifting up from the windshield, water would just flow underneath it, that's why I think silicon would probably be the best solution to seal it all along the bottom of the windshield.

;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Carbon fibre one that Lotus Racing in the UK fitted. See if they have any left. Its not a part thats in the brochure, I had explained my problem to them and they suggested this fix

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a Carbon fibre one that Lotus Racing in the UK fitted. See if they have any left. Its not a part thats in the brochure, I had explained my problem to them and they suggested this fix
I don't think Lotus is going to replace mine with the CF version under warranty, although that would be nice. I just want it fixed and I'm sure using double sided tape will just repeat the problem after a couple of years unless a much better grade of tape is used. Thanks for the tip. :up:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Don't use regular silicone. The stuff needs to be UV-resistant. I would use something like Sikaflex or such...

·
Registered
803 Posts
I pretty much thought that after the dealer fixed everything at my first service, I wouldn't have to deal with any new problems for awhile. WRONG! :facepalm

Now I'm noticing when the car sits in the sun for an hour, the plastic drainage molding at the bottom of my windshield heats up and warps, causing it to lift up about a 1/4 of an inch and about 8 inches long. I can see that double sided tape was used to hold it down but the tape is obviously not holding. When taken out of the sunlight, it cools down and the molding settles flat against the windshield again.

I'm not going to have the dealer fix this since I'm sure they'd just use the same lousy tape again, so, I'm thinking of removing a couple of the screws, lifting the molding up and applying some silicon along the length of it, then screwing it back down.

Have any of you had this problem and if so, what did you use to tie it down to the windshield? Is there a better double-sided waterproof tape or have you used silicon? Thanks for your input.

EFE EVS :up:
:tadts: The dealer will replace the plastic trim under warranty. They replaced mine along with the black trim piece directly above the engine bay that was also warping. So far, so good.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Lately at the Hockenheim Ring Germany there were around 20 Evoras assembled. More than 60% had this problem too, as long as they were parked towards the sun. I leave it as it is...wont bother me and use wrong stuff and then beeing angry.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I don't really get this issue. Our cars are meant to be driven not baked.:facepalm True, the Lotus Evora comes Rare from the factory, but you're not going to grill it Well Done in the sun.:D

Seriously, I always try to look for some shade when I park my car, be it the Evora or any other. You easily get temperatures around 70°C / 160°F and above parking the car in the sun. Lotus uses a lot of glue, which allways has issues when it gets too hot. Additionally we have a mix of materials with very different expansion rates in heat, which is asking for trouble with double sided tapes.

Another thing to watch out for when buying a car that was standing on the lot in the sun with the dealer.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't really get this issue. Our cars are meant to be driven not baked.:facepalm True, the Lotus Evora comes Rare from the factory, but you're not going to grill it Well Done in the sun.:D

Seriously, I always try to look for some shade when I park my car, be it the Evora or any other. You easily get temperatures around 70°C / 160°F and above parking the car in the sun. Lotus uses a lot of glue, which allways has issues when it gets too hot. Additionally we have a mix of materials with very different expansion rates in heat, which is asking for trouble with double sided tapes.

Another thing to watch out for when buying a car that was standing on the lot in the sun with the dealer.

Agree but to be fair. this day and age this warping should not happen. Should have used better material

·
Registered
392 Posts
Agree but to be fair. this day and age this warping should not happen. Should have used better material

Exactly, I understand that lotus are low volume handmade cars, but my first car a 1995 honda civic that I bought for 5k a decade ago did not have any issue sitting in the hot sun for continuous amount of day. Do they not have a sun in England?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
504 Posts
Exactly, I understand that lotus are low volume handmade cars, but my first car a 1995 honda civic that I bought for 5k a decade ago did not have any issue sitting in the hot sun for continuous amount of day. Do they not have a sun in England?
Not really.

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
Not really.
And they also have speed limits, which is why they don't understand wind noise. You guys have no idea how loud an Evora gets at 170 mph! A definite (but the only) plus for a Porsche.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
If it only warps when it's hot and sunny and there's no rain, and then goes back to normal in cool rainy weather, what's the problem?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If it only warps when it's hot and sunny and there's no rain, and then goes back to normal in cool rainy weather, what's the problem?
The problem is an exotic car (or any car) shouldn't sit in an outside car show (and we have many all summer long here in Prescott) and have the molding below the windshield buckling and looking like a piece of crap! I love the car but these kind of cosmetic problems make the car look cheap when noticed, and it is definitely noticeable when it warps.

Yesterday I ended up taking a couple of screws out (center & drivers side), lifted the molding up and ran a long string of silicon along the top edge, screwed it back down, wiped the excess off and pressed three tennis balls between the hood and the molding to keep it tightly pressed down while drying overnight. I removed the balls today and the molding is solidly secured now. I'll see over time how it holds up. Thanks for all your inputs! :up:

:nanner2:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts