·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another small tidbit?

Man, I can't wait for more info.

As posted on Seloc-

s3 thing

I was at millbrook last monday hamering round their various undulations. On the banked high speed circle.... look mum no hands.... hard to say how fast i was going as the needle jumps around , Lotus were there doing high speed testing on the s3*... if thats what its to be refered to as.... and they blew by at least 15mph more than me. I recon that car was doing 140- 145 !!!
NH

*exhaust clearly ported outta the diffuser

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
Im starting to wonder....

V6.

?

Having talked to several people, im starting to wonder what Lotus has up their sleeve. I think we're in for a suprise, be it 4 banger or V6....

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I still believe this delayed announcement date has more to do with Toyota than Lotus. If indeed it is a new engine, what better way to build hype than for Lotus to say they're putting it in the Elise? And then for Toyota to simultaneously announce it will be in the new Camry/Celica/Corolla/Spyder/xB/Yaro/whatever...

Robert

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
unfortunately, millbrook take cameras from you at the entrance gate. they were running different alloys and there was the unique exhausts, but other than that it looked identical to s2 to me.
I suspect the only diffs to the S3 will be the enlarged front to cope with the US crash structure requirements, and the exhaust coming out of the diffuser.
Some thoughts-

Nowhere is there anything that confirms that this is indeed an S3, as compared to an S2.5 or even just a test car.

A 4 cylinder 190hp car could reach those speeds also I think.

This could be the same car we have seen some photos of, that showed the exhausts coming out of the diffuser. Perhaps this is just more testing of the Toyota drivetrain.

In any case, it is exciting. For me, I don't want to get my hopes up too much. :)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another small tidbit of info---

The top car, with very few exceptions looks like what I was told the U.S. Elise would be including the wheels.
From lotuscarsforum.com admin

That was also in reference to the diffuser under/behind the engine.

Anyone know what size those rims are? I am looking for width and diameter.

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
It's 16" front and 17" for the rears. Don't know widths, tire size ~185/55 front, think its 225/45 for the rear, so I'd guess 6" & 7". Don't know the weight but do recall they being alot lighter then the S1 wheels... ready to do a bit of shopping?

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thinking about looking at racing tire options. :) What I can squeeze on those rims.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Can you cram 205/45-16 Hoosiers onto those front rims?
I think that's the smallest 16 they make, unless there's some new size they're making for the MINI's...

The 225/45-17's are a no-brainer on the back.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, should be doable assuming enough clearance. I have routinely put 225s on a 6" wide rim.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Robert Puertas said:
5.5x16 - 175/55-16
7.5x17 - 225/45-17

is what was on the LA auto show cars...
Anyone know if this is for the set-up that's heavily towards understeer? It looks like it with those numbers. I wonder what the difference is for the more balanced version.

I love those wheels' aesthetic design.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think those small front tires would definitely be an issue about increased understeer. I think that is good for us, because it's easy to change to a 195 or 205 tire and increase the front tire's contact patch.

I also like those wheels.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
I think they wanted the car to be nimble and tassable. Using those small front tires means you don't need power steering, even at very low speeds, you get great steering feedback, and great responsiveness. The big rears make it easier to catch when it gets sideways. I thought it worked marvelously on the one I drove. I suspect it will understeer at the limit, but if you're getting good feedback with a car that responds as quickly as the Elise, that probably the best set-up. Of course, on race tires, I'll take all the grip I can find...

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'll toss in my two cents. In my humble opinion, the 175 fronts are there to stop someone suing lotus for building a dangerous car. 185 and 195 front rubber are no harder to swivel for parking/driving (I have had both on my S1) - I think Lotus are just a little wary of sending a car to the US where if you take it past the limit you *better* have had training/airfield type experience, because they are aware that some people will blame them no matter what.

The first thing I'd do with an S3 is get wider rubber on it!

Craigy (just back in the UK from Lake Elsinore, CA)

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Craigy said:
I'll toss in my two cents. In my humble opinion, the 175 fronts are there to stop someone suing lotus for building a dangerous car.

Craigy (just back in the UK from Lake Elsinore, CA)
Agreed. Most car companies tend to build in more understeer because they have less chance of being successfully sued when you spin out. Toyota learned this with the MR2.

Hey, Lake Elsinore is just up the road. Hope you had a good time.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quoted by Car and Driver
We've heard it all before, but this time Lotus says it's set in stone. The lovely little Elise will go on sale in America next spring as a 2005 model. The US car will be powered by a version of the 1.8 liter Toyota four banger found in the Celica GT-S. It will make 190 horsepower and come with Toyota's siz-speed manual transmission. The company expects to sell 2500 of them a year for about $40,000 through 37 dealers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Those speeds are easily attainable by a 2zz-ge powered 1800lb car. Were thsoe speeds taken from a GPS or from a speedo? If they were from a speedo it easily could be the 2zz. I have seen Celicas reach speeds like that (indicated by the speedo, so not really exact) and that car weighs 2500lbs as opposed to 1800lbs or so.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don't know whether a final U.S. spec vehicle has been assembled as of yet and have to assume they are still developing the car. The car will have A/C, FM (and CD as far as I know, possibly satellite radio), ABS, gunmetal wheels, driverside airbag (possibly a passenger side airbag as well), Yoko's and I'm not real sure about leather. I was thinking it wasn't available but don't quote me on that as I don't remember what I've heard. MPG? Who knows until it's tested with the new motor and weight should be under 1900lbs.
From Lotus Admin at lotuscars

New info, at least to me, is gunmetal wheels. Possibly satellite radio. And now we hear under 1900 pounds, compared to official Lotus announcement of under 2000 pounds. If that is true, that is good to hear.

·
Forum Founder
29,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From Roadfly by Lotusmonza-

For those asking detailed questions the dealers do not have all the answers right now but will over the next few weeks when you will be able to change your deposit to a purchase order. Colour charts, options, and prices will be available at that time.
The dealers should have spec sheets and colour charts soon...before the show in LA is the plan. As for build you have to remember that our cars are built by hand and the build process has to be ramped up, i.e., the car orders will need to be to the factory a few months before the actual build and then the build will be lined up. And to answer your question those who have a position early should be able to select your car later this year and into the early part of next year (mind you very early).
I am not certain once you order your car if you can make changes. I will look into that issue. But those who are looking for the Sport package (looks like…but don’t quote me… light weight wheels, special tyres, dampers springs and the like) should keep this in mind as we have only committed to several hundred sets for the first year if it becomes an option. A note for those interested it is a bit stiffer ride than a standard Elise (and no we are not softening the suspension as some might think on the standard car--same as UK but only adding to the exceptional handling capabilities of the world renowned Elise) but by no means something that should detour the non-enthusiasts. Details and specs will be out at the time of you placing orders with your dealers. But, in fact, I am excited about an uprated suspension option. Count me in!
Oh and for you that did not like the blue instruments as they are harder to see at night...we have the red instruments, as do the new UK cars.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts