The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another neat story was that George Barber (the owner) showed up at the event to do a quick meet & greet. He's known to do this with most every major group that uses the facilities. As is common he is invited to try out the cars. As a known and competent race driver the companies are always interested in getting his feedback. Typically, he goes out in the car, does a couple of courtesy laps and returns, thanking the manufacturer for the opportunity.

Well, the same happened last week. He was invited to take an Elise out for a run. He was expected to turn his usual couple of laps, step out and "Thank you LCU" and go about his handshaking duties.

Instead he blew by the pits after the 2nd lap, and then again the 3rd, and after the 4th, and on, and on, and on...

After over 20 laps (over 40 minutes) he pulled into the pits and sat in the car, refusing to get out and babbled about how incredible the Elise was. After a number of minutes he climbed out, still running on about the how fantastic the Elise is.

I guess we'll see an Elise at Barber Motorsports soon...

:D :D
 

·
shay2nak
Joined
·
25,068 Posts
LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
1FASTMX5 said:
Geez, we better get in this car soon before it takes on GOD like proportions. Then it will never live up to all this constant praising.
More importantly these are from learned hands in driving. I consider myself a rookie at best and relatively level headed. Even though, I find myself fantasizing driving like him. I hope I can stay level headed and not put my car into a wall bass ackwards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,802 Posts
I saw the Barber collection a couple years ago when it was in the old location on Bham. More known for his bikes (several hundred and about one of every bike out there including a Britten which is without a doubt the most incredible bike ever built) He also has a nice selection of Lotus F1 and sports racers as well. LOG will be a great event!!

BTW> Got an email from Tony Shute, he fully hopes and intends to be there, perhaps some other Lotus UK guys as well. Would love to see Gavan Kershaw and Alastair Mcqueen come as well.

Chris
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
114 Posts
Elise or Urban Legend

If for nothing else, I'm buying this car and doubt I'll ever part with the car all these legends are already making of it?
How many of you have this sick daffy grin on your face after reading about "The Ole man and THEE CAR". Maybe Lotus made the boat the old man used to catch the fish too? I'll email Hemmingway?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,270 Posts
Re: Elise or Urban Legend

mslpilot said:

How many of you have this sick daffy grin on your face after reading about "The Ole man and THEE CAR".
*scratch*scratch* Ok, I don't get it, is there a funny essay named as such in a spoof of old man....or you're just making a pun?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
khamai said:
Another neat story was that George Barber (the owner) showed up at the event to do a quick meet & greet. He's known to do this with most every major group that uses the facilities. As is common he is invited to try out the cars. As a known and competent race driver the companies are always interested in getting his feedback. Typically, he goes out in the car, does a couple of courtesy laps and returns, thanking the manufacturer for the opportunity.

Well, the same happened last week. He was invited to take an Elise out for a run. He was expected to turn his usual couple of laps, step out and "Thank you LCU" and go about his handshaking duties.

Instead he blew by the pits after the 2nd lap, and then again the 3rd, and after the 4th, and on, and on, and on...

After over 20 laps (over 40 minutes) he pulled into the pits and sat in the car, refusing to get out and babbled about how incredible the Elise was. After a number of minutes he climbed out, still running on about the how fantastic the Elise is.

I guess we'll see an Elise at Barber Motorsports soon...

:D :D
Thanks for that, Nick Adams told us this exact same story up at HRM last weekend. He said that Mr. Barber was very impressed with the Elise. They had a hard time getting him out of the car;)

Best Wishes,
Mitch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I'm in the story telling mood... bear with me... here's a non-Elise, but great Lotus story.

One summer Chapman had a bunch of his F1 buddies up north of Hethel for boating on the river. He was smitten by the F1 boats and had arranged for Emmo (Fittipaldi) to pilot one.

Emmo blasts off down the river and flies by some River Patrol boat. Emmo turns around and heads back and the River Patrol motors out to the middle of the river and blocks Emmo's path! Some how Emmo gets the boat slowed and avoids a collision.

Chapman and party motor up to where the River Patrol is reading the riot act to Emmo who is sitting dead in the water. One of the officers screams at Emmo, "Who the bloody hell do you think you are?!??! Mario Andretti????" And, voice comes from behind Chapman, "Hey! That's my name!!!"

True story as told by Patrick Peal, ex-Lotus PR Manager and ex-son-in-law of Colin & Hazel Chapman.

:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
413 Posts
also off-topic Lotus story:

In the current TV series "American Dream" (set in the 1960's) they showed a very brief scene of the family watching the Indy 500 on their black and white TV set. A car flashes by the checkered flag and the race announcer says, " and Lotus wins the Indy 500, the first ever foreign car to win at Indianapolis.."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
khamai said:
Since I'm in the story telling mood... bear with me... here's a non-Elise, but great Lotus story.

One summer Chapman had a bunch of his F1 buddies up north of Hethel for boating on the river. He was smitten by the F1 boats and had arranged for Emmo (Fittipaldi) to pilot one.

Emmo blasts off down the river and flies by some River Patrol boat. Emmo turns around and heads back and the River Patrol motors out to the middle of the river and blocks Emmo's path! Some how Emmo gets the boat slowed and avoids a collision.

Chapman and party motor up to where the River Patrol is reading the riot act to Emmo who is sitting dead in the water. One of the officers screams at Emmo, "Who the bloody hell do you think you are?!??! Mario Andretti????" And, voice comes from behind Chapman, "Hey! That's my name!!!"

True story as told by Patrick Peal, ex-Lotus PR Manager and ex-son-in-law of Colin & Hazel Chapman.

:D

LOL:D :D

Thats at good one,
Mitch
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top