·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I surfing internet, I found one.
Aluminum crank shaft pulley for 2ZZ-GE sold in Kamispeed.com

OEM is about 3.5lb
Aluminum one is about 1.3lb

They said they will enhance engine response.

I think the loss will be reduced a little. But I can save 2.2lb and
enhance engine response.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
at the expense of your internals....

99% of those do not have a harmonic dampener...

Spend some time reading on celica or honda board about all their engine failing due to those things!

Light weight and undersized pulleys for water pumps and stuff are ok, but mess with the crank and your asking for troubles.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
at the expense of your internals....

99% of those do not have a harmonic dampener...

Spend some time reading on celica or honda board about all their engine failing due to those things!

Light weight and undersized pulleys for water pumps and stuff are ok, but mess with the crank and your asking for troubles.
You're 90% right. You can run this mod, but you'll definetally have to upgrade your oil delivery system, which basically means you have to purchase the circuitworx oil pump gear and have it installed:

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/circuitworx_oil_pump_gears_toyota_2zz.html

JesseIL, the newcelica.org forced induction moderator, the guy who tuned Smaay's 550 whp beast, and who has his own turbo'd GTS runs, or at least ran the unorthodox racing ones before. He has a built block now that might or might not have these, but his last block failed from his bearings giving out.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Light weight and undersized pulleys for water pumps and stuff are ok...
Pardon me as I'm easily confused about this type thing, but wouldn't you want to put larger pulleys on the accessories if you're looking for hp gains? (Assuming you don't mind the risk tradeoff?)

I'm thinking it would be smaller crank pulley and/or larger accessory pulleys. :confused:

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Pardon me as I'm easily confused about this type thing, but wouldn't you want to put larger pulleys on the accessories if you're looking for hp gains? (Assuming you don't mind the risk tradeoff?)

I'm thinking it would be smaller crank pulley and/or larger accessory pulleys. :confused:
.... EDIT: Gotta think about this a minute or two.....

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I think you're right. I wouldn't make them smaller, though. Just lighter. That's the accessories. Definitely a smaller crank pulley, but same-size accessories.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I'm running a lightened crank pullley on my non-lotus and like it says above, MAKE SURE IT IS HARMONIC DAMPENED. But yea, engine response is better I before and after dynoed for 6hp to the crank as well

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Messing with the torsional vibrations of your crank doesn't sound like a good idea to me...:no:
I'd propose you rather have a salad instead of some fast food before you go for a drive.
Same weight savings but a much happier engine rotfl

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
I think you're right. I wouldn't make them smaller, though. Just lighter. That's the accessories. Definitely a smaller crank pulley, but same-size accessories.
I'm not sure if this is a good idea because you decrease the drive ratio of your accessories. It might not be a big deal for the A/C (except for even worse pervormance) and the alternator, but I'd be careful with decreasing the size of the water pump pulley and therefore the coolant flow.

I'd say make them all smaller if you really want to but keep the same drive ratio. That way you keep performance of all the accessories and only have to fear the impact of the torsional vibrations on your crank.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
You're 90% right. You can run this mod, but you'll definetally have to upgrade your oil delivery system, which basically means you have to purchase the circuitworx oil pump gear and have it installed:

http://monkeywrenchracing.com/circuitworx_oil_pump_gears_toyota_2zz.html

JesseIL, the newcelica.org forced induction moderator, the guy who tuned Smaay's 550 whp beast, and who has his own turbo'd GTS runs, or at least ran the unorthodox racing ones before. He has a built block now that might or might not have these, but his last block failed from his bearings giving out.
Could you explain how better oil pump gears will protect engine internals from failure due to the lack of a harmonic dampener? Fail to see a correlation.

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Looks like I've already been beat to it about 15 times. DON'T DO IT! (just buy more stickers* instead!!! lol)

*proven fact that lightweight stickers are good for 15 HP and won't hurt your engine

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Looks like I've already been beat to it about 15 times. DON'T DO IT! (just buy more stickers* instead!!! lol)

*proven fact that lightweight stickers are good for 15 HP and won't hurt your engine
everyone knows that underlights make your car WAY faster than stickers! :crazyeyes

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts
Could you explain how better oil pump gears will protect engine internals from failure due to the lack of a harmonic dampener? Fail to see a correlation.
That's because undampened crank pulley = shattered oil pump. All of this information is there at greater detail at that lowly Celica site. Not to be mean...but if any of you guys happen to navigate the performance section and click the Compiled Performance Mod FAQ sticky there...you might find your answers there by a set of links grouped together under a "Underdrive pulley" heading...

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=214875

So here it goes.

Guess what happend.

Oil pump failure. It basically exploded.

Metal shavings all in my oil pan.

This was not due to an overrev and not due to high rpm shifting,

it blew on me at 6200 rpms.

Cause UR crank pulley. Main bearings were okay as I shut it off immidiately after the oil pump blew. I towed it to the dealership, Luckily nothing else was damaged.

I got it replaced under warranty along with a slightly leaky waterpump.

I took off the crank pulley, water pump and alternator, prior to warranty work.

along with stocking out my celica minus aem cai and trd exhaust.(which is why monkeywrench racing has my trial headder for tuning the pfc)

This is a WARNING to all UR crank pulley owners!!!!!!

Take yours off and get a refund. Your oil pump will go along with the main bearings and quite possably your engine.

I am not the first, I have insider info and there have been numerous others with simmilar failures with aftermarket crank pulleys (which were dumb enough to leave on and take to the dealership)

I was concidering selling mine as it was in good working condition but I dont feel comfortable selling it knowing it will cause someone to go though the same problems I went through.

I cant force people to take theirs off, all I can do is warn them. If i save one person from going through this hassle then it will be all worth it.

-J
It was the first link in the group of links.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
they can be the same size and still produce gains. underdrive pulleys are iffy depending on the application. i put a set of billet aluminum ones on my old 350z and they're fantastic. much more response. Unorthodox Racing. aluminum is lighter and has less rotational mass, and produces less strain on engine internals.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I would say pedal that kinda junk on other forums.

No matter how much oil you put on something vibrating uncontrollably at 8,000 rpms...your going to face some issues.

The weakest links on these engines is the oil pump, then the valve train. Your going to blow bearings with a high reving unbalanced engine.

If you read that post, even states the bearings are at risk.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts

No matter how much oil you put on something vibrating uncontrollably at 8,000 rpms...your going to face some issues.

The weakest links on these engines is the oil pump, then the valve train. Your going to blow bearings with a high reving unbalanced engine.

different application, and that's why i said some are iffy. That mod is extremely popular in the Z community and hasn't seen many problems. of course the V6 doesn't rev nearly as high.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
and fwiw, most modern engines are internally balanced, and the general consensus is that less rotational mass will contribute less wear and tear on vital engine parts. most rubber rings on aftermarket, and even factory pulleys aren't harmonic balancers at all, they're simply there for noise abatement like many factory pulleys.

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
1,228 Posts

A PM to JesseIL on newcelica.org could answer your question about the oil pump, but you're right about the risk, I wouldn't use it.

And as for the oil pump being the #1 problem, you're wrong. It's the stock 2zz pistons and their ring lands breaking due to knock after 250 whp.

·
Registered
39 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
everything posted with those two links is correct, I would NEVER do anything to accessory pulleys (underdrive, etc...) however, I AM running a lightened crank pulley (HARMONIC DAMPENED) in which I read many pages of literature on this subject "From cylinder to the pavement", howstuffworks.com, as long as your lightened crank pulley is harmonic dampened there will be no compromises to engine longevity

1 - 20 of 20 Posts