The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having my Elise toolkit disappear at my 1000 mile service yesterday I was searching through the boot looking for it (still not found) today. While taking all of the carpeting and foam out I came across these little unconnected wires, a few loose nuts, and several pieces of paper. (I am still waiting on the 2007 service manuals so haven't downloaded them yet, otherwise I'd look there). I know what the nuts and paper are, but not the function of this connector/wire. Anyone willing to teach me?

trunk electric.jpg

DSCN1142.JPG

Thanks

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
If I remember correctly, we all have that connector. It's for some lights that are not used on the federal Elise.

·
Registered
469 Posts
My '05 has it too..noticed it early in my tinkering today and forgot about it. Also found a lot of battery corrosion while I was cleaning. Yuck.

mg

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SAElise said:
If I remember correctly, we all have that connector. It's for some lights that are not used on the federal Elise.
I was hoping I could use it for an emergency light (thinking blue flashing- right on top of the car), or a strobe like on top of a school bus or maybe I should just go for the neon under the car like MyElise suggests?

·
Premium Member
2,993 Posts
European cars require a rear fog light....perhaps that is what that wire is...

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MyElise said:
While we're talking lights, has anyone yet figured out how to have both sides of all 4 clusters light up when the brake is applied while still retaining turn signals and night lights?
In my '07 with the parking lights on the blinker does not completely take away the outer most cluster, just makes it bright/dim, even with the brakes applied. With parking lights off the entire outer cluster goes completely out with the blinker, even with brakes on. Is this the same as what happens in your car?

I just always have on my lights, but then again my car is about the same color as the grey asphalt around here and I need all the help I can get to be seen.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
It's the plug for the optional flux capacitor pack. ;)

Mike

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
As Tony said, it's for the rear fog light - not used on the US version. The wiring for the switch at the other end is not in place, so it's not usable to even hook up rear fog lights...

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Update on rear fog lamp

I pulled out the light switch panel on my '07 as part of my driving light install and voila there is a wire and connector labelled rear fog lamp! I'm all wired up.

Just need to figure out if a rear fog lamp is worth the trouble, then need the lamp, the switch, and the time (and the money).

Any thoughts/opinions you'd be willing to share re: rear fog lamps?

·
Not the admin anymore
11,952 Posts
You'll need it if you ever decide to replace your tail lights with TV's.

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
RacyTracy said:
You'll need it if you ever decide to replace your tail lights with TV's.
:no: Now, be kind. I wouldn't put TVs in place of the tail lights, just in the seatbacks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12,374 Posts
RoadDad said:
Just need to figure out if a rear fog lamp is worth the trouble, then need the lamp, the switch, and the time (and the money).

Any thoughts/opinions you'd be willing to share re: rear fog lamps?
I wouldn't consider it necessary. Most people don't drive the Elise in bad weather, and all the rear fog light is is a bright light lit up. A little bit brighter than the tail lights, but not brighter than the brake lights. I find the couple of cars I've encountered with the rear fog light lit up to be very annoying (people tend to forget to turn it off). It's only there because it's required in Europe...:shrug:

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unfortunately not on an Elise or Exige. I found several pics of various Lexus (or is that Lexuses, or Lexi?), BMWs, etc. Found references to it on 340R but no pics with the fog lamp on :shrug:

·
Registered
935 Posts
RoadDad said:
Unfortunately not on an Elise or Exige. I found several pics of various Lexus (or is that Lexuses, or Lexi?), BMWs, etc. Found references to it on 340R but no pics with the fog lamp on :shrug:
Might be interesting to be ble to use it for something like a backup camera or possibly a trunk release.
Where exactly is the other end of the wiring go?
Is it by the instrument cluster where the starter is?

·
Registered
9,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
habendanio said:
Where exactly is the other end of the wiring go?
Is it by the instrument cluster where the starter is?
Yes. Found it labeled 'rear fog lamp' when I pulled to panel to install the driving light switch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts