The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Evora S MT Solar Yellow
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm at wits end to my window auto-drop issues which I began noticing a month or so back.

Where to begin. Basically the auto-drop feature for the passenger side is now intermittently working. There is no clear pattern to the cause so it has become very difficult to diagnose.

If the car has been off for a while and then unlocked, the auto drop will not work. To enable it again, I turn the car on and then jiggle the window button (ie I pull it up or down) and it will then begin working again as long as the car remains on. Once I turn the car off and pull the key out, it will usually then stop working. But on ocassion, it will work for about 10 seconds then stop working.

Now here's the strange thing. If I open the door (with the auto drop working) while the car is on, and then turn the car off and pull out the key, then leave the door open for an extended period of time, the auto drop will still go back up after I close the door and will work immediately for about 10 seconds before it then stops working.

I've scoured the forums, only to find that similar issues normally lies in either the window regulator or the microswitch in the latch, both of which are expensive to replace so I'm trying hard to diagnose the root of the problem.

I've tried the window reset (10seconds down and 10 seconds up) a billion times. Tried pulling the battery overnight etc....
I figured if it is the microswitch, then the interior/dome lights/door ajar light would probably not come on, but those seem to be working 100%. If it is the window regulator going bad, I would likely also see other symptoms such as a stuck window etc., but it works fine when the car is on. In my previous experience, normally this could be a bad relay in the window circuit, but I don't believe the evoras have a window relay (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

This is no doubt really bothering me and before I run out to go replace everything, I'd be grateful if anyone has had a similar glitch or any insight.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
You're right in that the Evora does not have separate window relays; they're integrated into the regulators themselves. Since you state everything seems to work fine when the vehicle is on, I would check and/or replace fuse C33 (5A), as it's the accessory feed for the power windows. The main feed is via C9 (20A) and it's a battery constant.

If that fuse doesn't help, which I don't think it will since your driver side is working, I would guess that the passenger side regulator is in need of replacing.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
716 Posts
You said the car sits for a bit. How is the battery?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You said the car sits for a bit. How is the battery?
I replaced the battery 2 weeks ago after this issue had already started so I’m quite sure that’s not the problem.

You're right in that the Evora does not have separate window relays; they're integrated into the regulators themselves. Since you state everything seems to work fine when the vehicle is on, I would check and/or replace fuse C33 (5A), as it's the accessory feed for the power windows. The main feed is via C9 (20A) and it's a battery constant.

If that fuse doesn't help, which I don't think it will since your driver side is working, I would guess that the passenger side regulator is in need of replacing.
Thanks, I’ll look into the fuses. I really hope it’s that simple!

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
716 Posts

Not sure if this can help at all when trying to track things down.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Another shitty Lotus Window Regulator.
This^ it's getting old with all these issues.

Someone mentioned replacing the fuse... maybe clean the terminals/contactors of the fuse if you suspect some power loss due to poor contact... but they either work or they don't, it's not the fuse if it's not blown.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Both of my windows are now leaking water (rain/carwashes) near the front by the door A/C vents. Upon review, it appears the windows are not going all the way up -- Not due to a needed relearn or battery kill etc. but it appears the physical window needs adjustment at the clamps or the rubber stop thing in door car to go all the way up again.

I know this isn't relevant to this thread... But I just wanna also express my frustration about this complete garbage power window setup Lotus adopted.

It's total chit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
reviving this post, exactly the same problems. Did you manage to find this issue @hkevoras ?
yes, I replaced the entire window lift mechanism/motor and the harness plug and now it is working. Looks like the built in circuit on the window motor was beginning to fail.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Send it to Power Window Regulators in Phoenix Arizon. They did an awesome job rebuilding my passenger regulator that was 10yrs old.

Its not a big ticket repair. $300 Not some 4 -5 digit special like that german crap🖕 Right pit viper?

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
Send it to Power Window Regulators in Phoenix Arizon. They did an awesome job rebuilding my passenger regulator that was 10yrs old.

Its not a big ticket repair. $300 Not some 4 -5 digit special like that german crap🖕 Right pit viper?
They don't do electrical repairs/replacements on the regulator itself, just the mechanical parts. I had inquired to see if they could swap out faulty electronics, and they said no.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Bummer, mechanically they are EXCELLENT. They are not hard to adjust esp if the step down/up for door openclose is working properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I must’ve jinxed myself. After the motor replacement, it worked great for about a month, and now it’s acting up again. Now it opens all the way down when the door is open and then retracts all the way up when the door is closed. Must be a short somewhere. I’ve tried the index reset etc… no avail.

·
Premium Member
7,566 Posts
Well motor obviously works. Need the ?replace the electronics that controls it.

·
Premium Member
1,926 Posts
I must’ve jinxed myself. After the motor replacement, it worked great for about a month, and now it’s acting up again. Now it opens all the way down when the door is open and then retracts all the way up when the door is closed. Must be a short somewhere. I’ve tried the index reset etc… no avail.
Maybe try removing the window switch and test the terminals for shorts. Although if the window movement correlates to the door position, then it seems like the door latch microswitch is working, and sending the door open/close signal to the ICU, which is telling the window regulator to drop or raise. It's on the window regulator control module to perform the courtesy drop/raise, so if it isn't switch-related, it's possible the regulator electronics are out of whack. Unfortunately you can't replace just the control module.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm at wits end to my window auto-drop issues which I began noticing a month or so back.

Where to begin. Basically the auto-drop feature for the passenger side is now intermittently working. There is no clear pattern to the cause so it has become very difficult to diagnose.

If the car has been off for a while and then unlocked, the auto drop will not work. To enable it again, I turn the car on and then jiggle the window button (ie I pull it up or down) and it will then begin working again as long as the car remains on. Once I turn the car off and pull the key out, it will usually then stop working. But on ocassion, it will work for about 10 seconds then stop working.

Now here's the strange thing. If I open the door (with the auto drop working) while the car is on, and then turn the car off and pull out the key, then leave the door open for an extended period of time, the auto drop will still go back up after I close the door and will work immediately for about 10 seconds before it then stops working.

I've scoured the forums, only to find that similar issues normally lies in either the window regulator or the microswitch in the latch, both of which are expensive to replace so I'm trying hard to diagnose the root of the problem.

I've tried the window reset (10seconds down and 10 seconds up) a billion times. Tried pulling the battery overnight etc....
I figured if it is the microswitch, then the interior/dome lights/door ajar light would probably not come on, but those seem to be working 100%. If it is the window regulator going bad, I would likely also see other symptoms such as a stuck window etc., but it works fine when the car is on. In my previous experience, normally this could be a bad relay in the window circuit, but I don't believe the evoras have a window relay (someone correct me if I'm mistaken).

This is no doubt really bothering me and before I run out to go replace everything, I'd be grateful if anyone has had a similar glitch or any insight.

new regulator ordered

1 - 18 of 18 Posts