The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone completely removed the two pozi screws that loosen at the top of the window? Do the holes stay lined up to be able to get the screw back in? I'd like to add a bit of Locktight.

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
Perfect timing top bring this up!
I was at the track yesterday in the pouring rain. After coming back to the car from lunch break I noticed that my driver side window was not closed all the way and the inside of the car was soaking wet :mad:
This darn screw had backed out again...:wallbang:

After reading your question I decided to just go and give your idea with the Loctite a try.

I thought I was smart and used a magnetic pick up tool to hold the screw while backing it out and keep it from falling into the door.
But as soon as I pulled out the screw I heard this "clonck", and a washer fell out the bottom of my door...:rolleyes:
The screw was nicely stuck to my magnet, but I did not see that washer at first...

Unfortunately this washer is placed in between the window rail and the nut back there, and I had a hell of a time trying to get it back in...
I stuck it to my magnet and after a while of cussing it was back in place.
I then took some of the Loctite and applied it to the tip of my screw driver (as well as to the thread of the bolt) to make the bolt stick a little in order to maneuver it back in there without dropping it.

Here's a picture of that washer:

CIMG3144.jpg

After I had the driver side back together I took a little different approach on the passenger side.

I again applied some Loctite to the tip of my screw driver, and as I loosened the screw I stuck my magnet behind the window rail.
So this time the magnet held the washer in place, and the screw was nicely stuck to my screw driver because of the Loctite.
Once I had the screw out I applied some Loctite to the thread an put it back in. That side took less than 5 minutes...

CIMG3145.jpg

It is helpful to have someone hold a flash light while you do this.
There is not much space to work in, and it's pretty tough to see in there without having sufficient light...

I now hope that this was the last time that this darn bolt comes loose...:nanner2:

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
The rail itself is easy to line up with the hole. That's not part of the difficulty at all.

xtn

·
German Reimport
2,953 Posts
The rail itself is easy to line up with the hole. That's not part of the difficulty at all.

xtn
I agree. The rail stays in place nicely and getting the bolt back in is no problem at all.
It's the washer that can cause some headache.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts