The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in the "safety" sticky at the top of this subforum, but in case anyone is looking for a method of mounting an anti-submarine strap, below's one option you might consider.

I bought and installed the Sector111 4Tress bar and am happy with it, I removed the anti-submarine strap I bought from them b/c (i) there's insufficient clearance between the bar and the bottom of the seat once the straps have been attached (this forces the bar to bow out from its mounting bolts even with spacer washers inserted and to bind against the brackets that secure the strap to the bar) and (ii) I didn't like how the bar attaches to those bolts (the ends are simply bent in a big loop, secured by big flat washers and nuts).

I'm sure from a safety perspective, it was fine, but my buddy, Dave, offered up a better solution, and I thought I'd post some details about it here. Dave makes custom bicycle frames, but he also has a thriving business doing various car-related parts, mostly for NSX's. You can find him and some of his stuff on NSXPrime.com under the screen name "TitaniumDave".

Anyhow, below is a photo of the anti-sub bar that he made for me. This one's a beta, so it hasn't been painted, but I find it altogether a better solution than what I had. If anyone's interested, Dave can be reached at [email protected]. I'm sure he'd be happy to make more of these now that he's broken the code on how to do so. You'd have to negotiate the details with him. I just thought I'd share what he's done with the community in case someone's looking for a better way of securing their sub-strap.

Best,
Twin

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seems a couple of folks have ordered Dave's anti-submarine bar. Below's a photo of some fully finished units, complete with a nice textured finish. Just posting this in case others are interested.

Best,
Twin

Attachments

·
Registered
888 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I called Dave to answer this question, but I only got his voicemail. I'd encourage anyone interested in the product to contact Dave directly at [email protected]. I don't have a clue what type of steel he used (but given that he does this sort of fabrication for a living), I'm sure he made sensible choices regarding weight versus strength. Weight? Not a lot, but then I also won't drop hundreds of dollars on carbon fiber just to save a few ounces. I'm guessing it's a pound or two heavier than the stainless one from Sector111.

Twin

Addendum: Dave called to say that the part weighs, perhaps, 12 ounces more than the Sector111 bar, and it's made from (i) drill rod (for the round 1/2" bar -- so it's very, very stiff) and (ii) 1020 mild steel (for the brackets at either end of the piece -- which is more than adequate given that the load is compressive). Hope this answers the question. Again, feel free to contact Dave if you need anything further.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts