The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I have a nice harness bar I will be installing in my car soon, but I'll need an anti-sub (5th/6th point) mount. It looks like S111 provides a kit that mounts the seat differently and provides the mount I am looking for. But I don't really care about mounting my seats any differently, I just need a sub mount. My question is, where along the length of the seat rails does the anti-sub bar actually mount? In front, even, or behind the front seat rail-to-floor mount bolts? And I haven't had any luck finding a specification for the material required. Does anyone have a link or resource for that?

Thanks,

Keith

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
A topic of debate. Some see that it should be attached to the floor like the lap belts, but I believe that it just does not need to withstand that much force.

I have the Sector one that's essentially a steel rod with loops on each end to attach to seat. Is that the one you have <@[email protected]> ? And how does the Lotus one attach? Maybe share some pics when you get yours in?

By mounting your seats differently, do you mean what holds the seat to the car? If so, the stock mounts are pitiful, 4 steel screws into aluminum.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
And this is how the S111 looks like from the top and bottom....

All that junk is in the air stream underneath the car on the S111 crotch belts.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Have these, a driver side and passenger side for LHD Elige. They bolt under the rails where the forward bolts hold the rails down. Driver side was bolted in place at one time. If interested, make a reasonable offer.

Attachments

·
Registered
283 Posts
I know it's been talked about many many times.
But I still have few questions...

Looking at that picture.
Unless the install is not finished, it looks likes the lap belts are going to be mounted on the seat rails. Is it a safe thing to do ?

Have these, a driver side and passenger side for LHD Elige. They bolt under the rails where the forward bolts hold the rails down. Driver side was bolted in place at one time. If interested, make a reasonable offer.
Are these kind of bars safe ? I was under the impression the product was removed from S111 website for safety reasons (could be wrong)

Asking all that because I'm looking into a 6pt harness into my Elise for the driver side only.

·
Banned
3,239 Posts
I don't know why people, you included Chouch, question using the OEM lap belt mounting points. What Lotus did had to be crash tested to be put on a car! And that is a steel structure. If that does not give you a warm-fuzzy feeling, you can follow the Lotus Sport installation instructions and install "eyes" for your lap belts. But that involves installing doubles on the underside of the car. I don't like doing that because that is the most important aerodynamic part of the car.

S111 installs the 5th and 6th belts all the way back and uses the floor panel as a shear panel...that is very acceptable structurally, but again, I don't like the aerodynamics of it.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Attaching the lap belts to the oem mounting points holds the driver to the seat just fine.

It's the holding the driver/seat to the floor that's the issue. I'm sure it passed some sort of federal test, for street situations. But attaching lap belts to reinforced floor, and shoulder harness to the bar or cage, balances the tendency for the driver's body's considerable momentum to rip the seat from the car.

We went through all this ad nauseum back about 2009 on here. The stock seat mounts are frighteningly weak, at the very least something like a Sector syspack or Lotus Sport system is mandatory for a track car if I'm in it. And a roll cage and neck protector. It's a system.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I don't know why people, you included Chouch, question using the OEM lap belt mounting points.
Because nobody seems to be able to give a clear answer.

Sure the OEM lap belt mounting points have been crash tested in some ways (at least with a standard 3 points seat belt). But then you see all those people heavily involved into track installing "eyes" for their lap belts setup, including Lotus Sport themselves.

I think the bottom line is that some people, including me, care about safety and want to make sure their 6pt is actually going to be act as a safety device, not as a bone breaker.

I guess this will be deleted soon but here goes.

Seats and harness choices
Thanks for the link, some very good piece of information in there !
Now that I got proper seats, I think my next step will be the sys.6.pack from S111

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
There are lots of things I would change in my car if I had the money. People say don't put a price on safety. These people obviously have more money than me :) Since I am forced to choose between the seats I have or better seats, I'd rather stick with what I have and get on the track some day. I appreciate people who answer with an open mind. Knowing there are better options but giving all the options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts