The Lotus Cars Community banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an 05 CO Elise :)D), and looking at brake upgrade options. Any advantage to installing full-floating rotors for street? Overkill? Recommended options (DBA, discNOIR, etc) for rotor/pad combo?
Don't expect to see much track time; but do anticipate a good deal of spirited driving. :D

THANKS!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Look cool.

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Floating rotors for the street

Advantage:

1. Will feel smoother and tend not to warp for those 'special' street drivers.

Disadvantages:

1. Get clunky after first few months.
2. Increased piston knock-back when cold and clanky i.e. will have to pump pedal first time in the morning or no brakes.

I do not think there is any cost advantage even if cheaper disks can be found. Disk replacement requires new attachment hardware (I would not re-use bolts and bobbins for fear for my life) $100 per. Also hats wear out, so need new hats every 3rd disk or so.

So if you really do not want floating disks, do NOT get them.

If you want to save $$ try to find chinese made rotors. Grey iron is grey iron...

Anton

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Advantage:

1. Will feel smoother and tend not to warp for those 'special' street drivers.

Disadvantages:

1. Get clunky after first few months.
2. Increased piston knock-back when cold and clanky i.e. will have to pump pedal first time in the morning or no brakes.

I do not think there is any cost advantage even if cheaper disks can be found. Disk replacement requires new attachment hardware (I would not re-use bolts and bobbins for fear for my life) $100 per. Also hats wear out, so need new hats every 3rd disk or so.

So if you really do not want floating disks, do NOT get them.

If you want to save $$ try to find chinese made rotors. Grey iron is grey iron...

Anton
Not really trying to save $$; just maximizing performance. If there was a significant difference in performance and longevity, then it could be worthwhile to make the jump.
I haven't read any compelling justification (yet) that would definitively say go with floating.....on the street.
But they do have a 'cool look'...:)

·
www.theapexinn.com
11,689 Posts
factory rotors do JUST fine. DBA 4000's are great as an upgrade, but the stock rotors will last a long time.

·
He's on fire!
3,407 Posts
Main advantage: Lighter wallet --> reduced weight --> you're following the lotus mantra!

·
Relapsing Honda fan
1,259 Posts
Nearly all Elise's I've seen with two piece rotors have been the Sector 111 ones, it's what I run too. They're lighter and the internal veins are directionally correct unlike the stock rotors (Lotus used 1 rotor 4 times).

·
Registered
935 Posts
re: Floating Rotors

The real advantages of floating rotors are marginal on the street. Here is why one would have a floating rotor:

1. Less heat transfer to bearings, since the heat transmission interface between rotor and hat is very poor e.g.10 or 12 bobbins instead of a chunk of iron.

2. They are lighter. They save on un-sprung weight. This has a very positive effect on handling and acceleration. 1lbs of un-sprung rotating mass = 6lbs of sprung mass.

3. Pad wear is improved because the rotor self-aligns itself (floats)

The do look cool. I would not have a fast street car any other way! My M3, M5 and 'Vette's that I owned were always converted to big brakes and floating rotors and Castrol SRF.

If you are going that way, there are a few things to consider:

1. The hat has to be made of 7xxx series aluminum alloy (or 2024, if you want to magnaflux every year). I had a 6xxx hat come apart. It was on the track. It was very scary. Nobody and nothing was hurt... but I make or check my hats personally.

2. When you change the rotos, you must NOT re-use mounting hardware.

3. If you put the rotor and hat together. (I would not trust anyone else to do it). You have to have a good torque wrench (reading inch*ponds) and torque things properly and in steps.

4. Remember that the hats wear out, also. The mounting points are the weakest part.

For the street, you cannot go wrong. I do find the clunking annoying on the street.

Anton

Not really trying to save $$; just maximizing performance. If there was a significant difference in performance and longevity, then it could be worthwhile to make the jump.
I haven't read any compelling justification (yet) that would definitively say go with floating.....on the street.
But they do have a 'cool look'...:)

·
Banned
3,229 Posts
If the floating is done right, they do not rattle after time and they DO NOT knock back the pads...full floating discs are supposed to do just the opposite...to get you better feel. I have only found two sources that do this properly...how do I know these are properly, because AP Racing said so here...they issued a drawing on how to properly float their friction rings...
http://www.apracing.com/drawings/cp2494_2020cd.pdf
EliseParts sells them in 308-mm...
Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Discs - AP 308mm Floating Bell Discs
and SeriouslyLotus sells them in 308-mm...
308mm Alcon Discs and Seriously Lotus Fully Floating Bells - Nitron
and in 288-mm (OEM non-Cup size)...
http://www.seriouslylotus.com/braki...iscs-and-seriously-lotus-fully-floating-bells
although while searching for these links I've found these that look very good!
Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Discs - Performance Friction 308mm Floating Brake Discs
I would like to get more information on these because these look great!

The same advantages as for racing apply on the streets...better feel and lighter for better performance...If you put on any one of these discs on the your Lotus and can't feel the difference, you should look into trading your Lotus up to a Prius...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If the floating is done right, they do not rattle after time and they DO NOT knock back the pads...full floating discs are supposed to do just the opposite...to get you better feel. I have only found two sources that do this properly...how do I know these are properly, because AP Racing said so here...they issued a drawing on how to properly float their friction rings...
http://www.apracing.com/drawings/cp2494_2020cd.pdf
EliseParts sells them in 308-mm...
Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Discs - AP 308mm Floating Bell Discs
and SeriouslyLotus sells them in 308-mm...
308mm Alcon Discs and Seriously Lotus Fully Floating Bells - Nitron
and in 288-mm (OEM non-Cup size)...
288mm Alcon Discs and Seriously Lotus Fully Floating Bells - Brake discs - Braking
although while searching for these links I've found these that look very good!
Elise Parts - Braking Systems - Brake Discs - Performance Friction 308mm Floating Brake Discs
I would like to get more information on these because these look great!

The same advantages as for racing apply on the streets...better feel and lighter for better performance...If you put on any one of these discs on the your Lotus and can't feel the difference, you should look into trading your Lotus up to a Prius...
rotfl

Thanks!!...good insight. Much appreciated!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For now, it looks like the best path is to upgrade the pads first. The stock rotors still have some life on them. Recommended pads?....Pads to stay from?

·
Registered
126 Posts
For now, it looks like the best path is to upgrade the pads first. The stock rotors still have some life on them. Recommended pads?....Pads to stay from?
Lots of pad choices, I have the Porterfields and like them a lot over the stock pads. Usage is Auto-x and Street. No track time.

If you are looking for a track pad, lots of choices. Check this thread.
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f259/brake-pads-112368/

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
..If you put on any one of these discs on the your Lotus and can't feel the difference, you should look into trading your Lotus up to a Prius...

I went to my local Toyota dealer, but they were out of Priuses. The lot was nearly full of Elise though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts