The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my car supercharged this week and i'll be taking it to the twisties this weekend.

I wonder if there's some advice people could give me regarding changes in how the car drives. I don't want to end up though a cliff, my first thought is that i'll need to watch the speedometer more rather than go by engine noise until i get used to it, but perhaps there's more.

Also, i heard the ECU "learns" somehow, do i need to drive the car hard at first to get the most out of the tune or how does this work?

·
Registered
317 Posts
I got it done a few months ago. Excellent install by Dietsch Werks. I think I was expecting it to be much more faster than it was, and so it wasn't too big of a change for me to get used to. I did a run yesterday at Sonoma Raceway and did 14.1 at 100 in 90 degree heat. A better driver could probably get it into the 13's...or if I just waited for the air temps to go down. I can understand why a lot of people moved on from the katana. But all in all I'm very happy with it and will not be changing it.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I'm getting my car supercharged this week and i'll be taking it to the twisties this weekend.

I wonder if there's some advice people could give me regarding changes in how the car drives. I don't want to end up though a cliff, my first thought is that i'll need to watch the speedometer more rather than go by engine noise until i get used to it, but perhaps there's more.

Also, i heard the ECU "learns" somehow, do i need to drive the car hard at first to get the most out of the tune or how does this work?
There isn't typically any break in needed or anything like that if that is what you are asking.

In terms of your driving it depends on how comfortable you are with the car. Biggest difference is be easy on the throttle through the turns, as there is a lot more power/torque available than before.

I got it done a few months ago. Excellent install by Dietsch Werks. I think I was expecting it to be much more faster than it was, and so it wasn't too big of a change for me to get used to. I did a run yesterday at Sonoma Raceway and did 14.1 at 100 in 90 degree heat. A better driver could probably get it into the 13's...or if I just waited for the air temps to go down. I can understand why a lot of people moved on from the katana. But all in all I'm very happy with it and will not be changing it.
Heat will definitely make a car slower, however to be honest a stock naturally aspirated Elise can do [email protected] in the heat.

You may want to look everything over and make sure it is functioning right, I think you are down on potentially quite a bit of horsepower.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Just work your way into it. You will notice a substantial difference in power, but, honestly, I notice less of a difference in the mountains than I do in stop-and-go around town. In the mountains, I find that I stay a bit lower in the rpm band, but run at the same pace. Unless I'm on a track, I'm not running 10/10ths. For me, the biggest advantage of the supercharger in the hills is the ability to pass slower traffic in the rare and short overtaking zones.

The other thing I would add is not to park on inclines, if possible. I was recently worried about fuel starvation when I noticed the gas warning light come on upon starting the engine after lunch. The car was parked on a hill and despite having at least a quarter tank, it showed empty. I quickly got her flat and prayed I wouldn't hear/feel anything funny from the engine. A minute later and the gas gauge crept back up without the engine skipping a beat. Maybe I owe some thanks to my Sector 111 fuel tank.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Hey,

First off congrats. Second, I found a big difference in power. On the highway, in 6th, the car can still pull, where before I'd be downshifting to pass.

Definitely get to know it a bit before pushing it in a corner. Bring it to the August Auto-X (if it's ready) to really put it through its paces.

-JM

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Depending on other upgrades, you may discover the rear end will want to walk on corners you could previously go full throttle through without drama. Add the right headers/exhaust/decat, cold air intake and tune and you will be at 265 crank HP. (i.e. the katana265 kit).

·
Registered
317 Posts
You may want to look everything over and make sure it is functioning right, I think you are down on potentially quite a bit of horsepower.
Do you have any suggestions on what I should look for? Everything looks ok. Everything sounds ok from what I could hear through the loud exhaust. Still feels every bit of strong from when I picked it up from the shop after the install. Maybe it's just my driving. And my poor launch.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
You will always have fuel still in the line. At least enough to get you going.

The other thing I would add is not to park on inclines, if possible. I was recently worried about fuel starvation when I noticed the gas warning light come on upon starting the engine after lunch. The car was parked on a hill and despite having at least a quarter tank, it showed empty. I quickly got her flat and prayed I wouldn't hear/feel anything funny from the engine. A minute later and the gas gauge crept back up without the engine skipping a beat. Maybe I owe some thanks to my Sector 111 fuel tank.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks for the replies guys.

One thing i don't understand is the fuel starvation thing (i am a total newbie eager to learn). What's the problem if the car runs out of fuel?, is it related to a supercharger?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
hold on to you seat?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
It doesn't run out of fuel, just pressure to the injector runs low so it will run lean. Running an engine lean is a fast way to melt it down.

Hey thanks for the replies guys.

One thing i don't understand is the fuel starvation thing (i am a total newbie eager to learn). What's the problem if the car runs out of fuel?, is it related to a supercharger?

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
It doesn't run out of fuel, just pressure to the injector runs low so it will run lean. Running an engine lean is a fast way to melt it down.
To clarify. Fuel starvation for the Elise/Exige refers to the problem that may occur in high speed cornering (left-hand corners I believe) where the fuel pickup point doesn't have an adequate amount of access to fuel (due to the fuel sloshing to the opposite side as the pickup).

San

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys. Here's a video of my car getting dynoed for your enjoyment. Rated at 254 hp.

It is the loudest lotus i've ever heard btw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts