The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pick up a 2005 Elise in San Diego on Thursday, then drive it up to the Bay Area. This is primarily going to be a weekend/nice weather car, so this may very well be the longest drive I ever take in it! I may stop somewhere in between and make the second half of the drive the next day. I'll probably go 101, as 5 is a pretty bland drive and 1 will take me forever (although 1 would be a hoot).

Any advice for me before I depart? I am COMPLETELY green when it comes to the Lotus Elise experience outside of a test drive at a local dealer. Not sure what I should be prepared to deal with being in the car for that long.:crazyeyes

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I found that if I tape a small piece of padding to the door sill where my knee rests against it helps a lot. Only for really long drives though.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I did the same thing, Symbolic?
Just make sure tires are ok, I didnt have a problem (there was snow at grapevine).

·
Registered
308 Posts
You absolutely must hang a left in SLO and drive HWY 1 to Monterey. :shift::evil::nanner: You owe it to yourself and the car. Only adds 1-2 hours, unless you end up stopping to stare 10 or 20 times. Very hard to concentrate since both the driving and the views are incredible. First hundred or so miles I put on my car, still have not made it back after the breakin period....

Jim

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Make sure you stop for fuel when the tank is empty. Make sure you have a lot of fun. Nothing else to worry about.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
Ear Plugs

·
Banned
7,592 Posts
Sunscreen. Gas money.
Shouldn't need anything else.

·
Forum Founder
29,081 Posts
Not going up 1 is a crime. IMNSHO. :)

Carry a towel.

Keep the top on for most of the drive or use ear plugs. Wind buffeting will tire you more. Take the top off when you go through Big Sur.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not going up 1 is a crime. IMNSHO. :)

Carry a towel.

Keep the top on for most of the drive or use ear plugs. Wind buffeting will tire you more. Take the top off when you go through Big Sur.
Unfortunately, I will probably need to keep the top on for the entire drive.:sad: The car has a hard and soft top, so my assumption is that unless I am towing a u-haul behind me, I need to keep the hard top on.

Mike

·
Registered
96 Posts
That is hilarious

I did the same exact drive when i picked up my elise. I flew to San Diego and drove it back to San Jose... Its definately not an eight hour drive i made it in like 6 ;) And that was stopping to get some food in Newport Beach. Definately a good idea if you have the time to take 1 along the beach its a fun drive and has a nice view as well. I did my drive at night so it was kind of scary to have my first drive in the lotus at night because I was not used to having headlights that didn't light up the road so well, so I would recommend driving it during the day.

·
Premium Member
26,313 Posts
Big can of fix a flat wrapped in foam in the trunk.

A towel under the passenger seat to wipe the windshield.

Have fun!

·
Registered
5,709 Posts
Drive straight really fast, if something gets in your way, turn ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice

My drive back was from Dallas to Atlanta. 13 hours straight. Ipod helped. Would do it again in a heart beat. Steve

·
Registered
985 Posts
Drive about halfway stopping somewhere in Santa Barbara or SLO Counties and take the 1 from SLO to the Bay Area. I agree, not driving this car on the Central California portion of Hwy 1 is a crime. Bring a camera and sunscreen.

·
LotusRaceShop.com
537 Posts
Burn 8 hours of music on a SD card before you leave(Don't have anything else on the card ).
Plan a stop for lunch or dinner along Highway 1, Enjoy the drive - Rob.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
You absolutely must hang a left in SLO and drive HWY 1 to Monterey. :shift::evil::nanner: You owe it to yourself and the car. Only adds 1-2 hours, unless you end up stopping to stare 10 or 20 times. Very hard to concentrate since both the driving and the views are incredible. First hundred or so miles I put on my car, still have not made it back after the breakin period....

Jim
+1 I make this trip a lot

1 all the way if you can, but do this (see quote above) at the very least or you'll never forgive yourself.

Ear plugs are a great idea.

Also because you have an 05 a seat pad made of memory foam or gel foam will make the trip easier.

I drive with a foam knee pad turned sideways on my left leg. You'll know why if you don't.

If you do get on the 1 be aware there is one gas station in a remote part that has the highest gas price in the state. I wish I could remember where, but it would be smart to find out, so you can avoid it.

Bring a camera so you can take pics where ever you stop of your car and post it them.

When you get home look into participating in the Lotus coral at the Monterey historics at GGLotus.net

Congrats on the car and welcome to the Lotus community.

·
insert clever title here
7,702 Posts
Bring a radar detector.

Remember the '05 has an inflatable lumbar support, I found this extremely helpful on long trips.

Be careful with steep driveway approaches, and of course, don't parallel park the car ANYWHERE.

The gas station Jacob refers to is in Big Sur. Fill up in Cambria and you'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts