The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have straight pipes and Flowmaster cats, and I don't like it. It doesn't give you that growl other exhausts do

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have straight pipes and Flowmaster cats, and I don't like it. It doesn't give you that growl other exhausts do
is that a V8?

I should add this straight pipe is for the 4 Cyl.

I found a clip on You tube for a similar system. Sounds neat but I am wondering if its loud in the cockpit and perhaps a bit too anti social for me.

·
Car Adicted
188 Posts
So, I have a 98 V8 and had an issue I thought with one of my Cats. I do have a 4 post storage lift, so once I figured out how to take the rear trunk liner out I decided it was time to inspect the Cats. I thought one was clogged, as I had limited exhaust coming out of one side, but the car still seemed to run fine. I also had bought a really cool muffler delete setup from a member here in the states and more on that in a second. So I remove the existing muffler and also the splitter that goes between the rear two tail pipes. I weighed the assembly / muffler and I think it was 63 lbs or 28.6 kilos. Pretty heavy, so now I removed the 1st Cat and someone before I owned the car had modified the Cat and there was nothing in it at all. Just a hollowed out tube, but it still looked like a normal Cat. I then removed the 2nd Cat and it was the issue with broken catalyst in it and I assume clogged. It was unclogged lets say and retained in the next set up I will describe. So this brings me to the setup I bought from a Lotus Forum member here in the states. It was a complete muffler delete setup. It was comprised of 2 pipes, one for each side and it came out in the stock location. One difference is that instead of it having a single exhaust tip on each side it has dual exhaust tips on each side that look very close to what the stock exhaust looked like. It also came with a shortened splitter the piece that goes in between the tailpipes. These tail pipes are mounted directly to the Cats. So now with this setup I basically have no Cats and No Mufflers. At first I thought it was too loud, but now I do not. The turbos muffle the sound a bit and here are the positives. Probably lost 63 lbs or so in the process, which is like adding 7+ horsepower. The turbos spool up much quicker, meaning that if I now floor it in 1st gear my car will spin the rear tires pretty violently. Car is definitely quicker to respond to gas pedal, meaning as I give gas the turbos spool up quicker and I get a quicker response and quicker car. I did put in new O2 sensors when I did this and put O2 spacers in, so as to help with not getting Cel codes. I think the sound is as good as you will get out of this motor. Maybe I will take a picture and post the underneath exhaust I think you will find it interesting.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect part of your power gains are also from removing the disintegrating cat. Great place to lose 63 lbs!

I would buy one of these exhausts but the shipping is > $150 and I cant bring my self to do it. I am going to get a light weight straight through muffler and try that. But I have some other things to finish first.

I located a video for the exhaust if any body is interested PM and I will send a link,

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,053 Posts
So, I have a 98 V8 and had an issue I thought with one of my Cats. I do have a 4 post storage lift, so once I figured out how to take the rear trunk liner out I decided it was time to inspect the Cats. I thought one was clogged, as I had limited exhaust coming out of one side, but the car still seemed to run fine. I also had bought a really cool muffler delete setup from a member here in the states and more on that in a second. So I remove the existing muffler and also the splitter that goes between the rear two tail pipes. I weighed the assembly / muffler and I think it was 63 lbs or 28.6 kilos. Pretty heavy, so now I removed the 1st Cat and someone before I owned the car had modified the Cat and there was nothing in it at all. Just a hollowed out tube, but it still looked like a normal Cat. I then removed the 2nd Cat and it was the issue with broken catalyst in it and I assume clogged. It was unclogged lets say and retained in the next set up I will describe. So this brings me to the setup I bought from a Lotus Forum member here in the states. It was a complete muffler delete setup. It was comprised of 2 pipes, one for each side and it came out in the stock location. One difference is that instead of it having a single exhaust tip on each side it has dual exhaust tips on each side that look very close to what the stock exhaust looked like. It also came with a shortened splitter the piece that goes in between the tailpipes. These tail pipes are mounted directly to the Cats. So now with this setup I basically have no Cats and No Mufflers. At first I thought it was too loud, but now I do not. The turbos muffle the sound a bit and here are the positives. Probably lost 63 lbs or so in the process, which is like adding 7+ horsepower. The turbos spool up much quicker, meaning that if I now floor it in 1st gear my car will spin the rear tires pretty violently. Car is definitely quicker to respond to gas pedal, meaning as I give gas the turbos spool up quicker and I get a quicker response and quicker car. I did put in new O2 sensors when I did this and put O2 spacers in, so as to help with not getting Cel codes. I think the sound is as good as you will get out of this motor. Maybe I will take a picture and post the underneath exhaust I think you will find it interesting.
Very cool. A sound clip would be appreciated by even those of us who don't have an Esprit.

San

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shipping on this system is ~$150. Wondering if I could get 5 sets shipped for say $200?

If I could get 5 sets for $350 ea. plus shipping in the US would there be any interest from other members?

Reach out if you are interested and I will try to estimate shipping in the US. Looks like a pretty minimal savings actually.

·
Car Adicted
188 Posts
Very cool. A sound clip would be appreciated by even those of us who don't have an Esprit.

San
I will do a sound clip......once I finish with my Radiator install............they might find a cure for Coronovirus by the time I finish with the Radiator install. What a challenge!!!!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,053 Posts
I will do a sound clip......once I finish with my Radiator install............they might find a cure for Coronovirus by the time I finish with the Radiator install. What a challenge!!!!
Sounds good, on both counts.

San

·
Car Adicted
188 Posts
I took some pictures today of my exhaust and will try to upload tomorrow. Once I get my radiator installed I will do a sound clip. I made some good progress today on the radiator .

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I inquired with PNM and they confirmed that he could probably ship 5 of these exhausts for little more than he could ship 1. I will post up if there could be some savings and check interest. A few people have reached out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts