The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have straight pipes and Flowmaster cats, and I don't like it. It doesn't give you that growl other exhausts do

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have straight pipes and Flowmaster cats, and I don't like it. It doesn't give you that growl other exhausts do
is that a V8?

I should add this straight pipe is for the 4 Cyl.

I found a clip on You tube for a similar system. Sounds neat but I am wondering if its loud in the cockpit and perhaps a bit too anti social for me.

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
So, I have a 98 V8 and had an issue I thought with one of my Cats. I do have a 4 post storage lift, so once I figured out how to take the rear trunk liner out I decided it was time to inspect the Cats. I thought one was clogged, as I had limited exhaust coming out of one side, but the car still seemed to run fine. I also had bought a really cool muffler delete setup from a member here in the states and more on that in a second. So I remove the existing muffler and also the splitter that goes between the rear two tail pipes. I weighed the assembly / muffler and I think it was 63 lbs or 28.6 kilos. Pretty heavy, so now I removed the 1st Cat and someone before I owned the car had modified the Cat and there was nothing in it at all. Just a hollowed out tube, but it still looked like a normal Cat. I then removed the 2nd Cat and it was the issue with broken catalyst in it and I assume clogged. It was unclogged lets say and retained in the next set up I will describe. So this brings me to the setup I bought from a Lotus Forum member here in the states. It was a complete muffler delete setup. It was comprised of 2 pipes, one for each side and it came out in the stock location. One difference is that instead of it having a single exhaust tip on each side it has dual exhaust tips on each side that look very close to what the stock exhaust looked like. It also came with a shortened splitter the piece that goes in between the tailpipes. These tail pipes are mounted directly to the Cats. So now with this setup I basically have no Cats and No Mufflers. At first I thought it was too loud, but now I do not. The turbos muffle the sound a bit and here are the positives. Probably lost 63 lbs or so in the process, which is like adding 7+ horsepower. The turbos spool up much quicker, meaning that if I now floor it in 1st gear my car will spin the rear tires pretty violently. Car is definitely quicker to respond to gas pedal, meaning as I give gas the turbos spool up quicker and I get a quicker response and quicker car. I did put in new O2 sensors when I did this and put O2 spacers in, so as to help with not getting Cel codes. I think the sound is as good as you will get out of this motor. Maybe I will take a picture and post the underneath exhaust I think you will find it interesting.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suspect part of your power gains are also from removing the disintegrating cat. Great place to lose 63 lbs!

I would buy one of these exhausts but the shipping is > $150 and I cant bring my self to do it. I am going to get a light weight straight through muffler and try that. But I have some other things to finish first.

I located a video for the exhaust if any body is interested PM and I will send a link,

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
So, I have a 98 V8 and had an issue I thought with one of my Cats. I do have a 4 post storage lift, so once I figured out how to take the rear trunk liner out I decided it was time to inspect the Cats. I thought one was clogged, as I had limited exhaust coming out of one side, but the car still seemed to run fine. I also had bought a really cool muffler delete setup from a member here in the states and more on that in a second. So I remove the existing muffler and also the splitter that goes between the rear two tail pipes. I weighed the assembly / muffler and I think it was 63 lbs or 28.6 kilos. Pretty heavy, so now I removed the 1st Cat and someone before I owned the car had modified the Cat and there was nothing in it at all. Just a hollowed out tube, but it still looked like a normal Cat. I then removed the 2nd Cat and it was the issue with broken catalyst in it and I assume clogged. It was unclogged lets say and retained in the next set up I will describe. So this brings me to the setup I bought from a Lotus Forum member here in the states. It was a complete muffler delete setup. It was comprised of 2 pipes, one for each side and it came out in the stock location. One difference is that instead of it having a single exhaust tip on each side it has dual exhaust tips on each side that look very close to what the stock exhaust looked like. It also came with a shortened splitter the piece that goes in between the tailpipes. These tail pipes are mounted directly to the Cats. So now with this setup I basically have no Cats and No Mufflers. At first I thought it was too loud, but now I do not. The turbos muffle the sound a bit and here are the positives. Probably lost 63 lbs or so in the process, which is like adding 7+ horsepower. The turbos spool up much quicker, meaning that if I now floor it in 1st gear my car will spin the rear tires pretty violently. Car is definitely quicker to respond to gas pedal, meaning as I give gas the turbos spool up quicker and I get a quicker response and quicker car. I did put in new O2 sensors when I did this and put O2 spacers in, so as to help with not getting Cel codes. I think the sound is as good as you will get out of this motor. Maybe I will take a picture and post the underneath exhaust I think you will find it interesting.
Very cool. A sound clip would be appreciated by even those of us who don't have an Esprit.

San

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am not sure. There are a few videos about the car, I dont recall if any exhaust mods are covered

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shipping on this system is ~$150. Wondering if I could get 5 sets shipped for say $200?

If I could get 5 sets for $350 ea. plus shipping in the US would there be any interest from other members?

Reach out if you are interested and I will try to estimate shipping in the US. Looks like a pretty minimal savings actually.

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
Very cool. A sound clip would be appreciated by even those of us who don't have an Esprit.

San
I will do a sound clip......once I finish with my Radiator install............they might find a cure for Coronovirus by the time I finish with the Radiator install. What a challenge!!!!

·
Acme Super Moderator ** The Enforcer **
7,600 Posts
I will do a sound clip......once I finish with my Radiator install............they might find a cure for Coronovirus by the time I finish with the Radiator install. What a challenge!!!!
Sounds good, on both counts.

San

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
I took some pictures today of my exhaust and will try to upload tomorrow. Once I get my radiator installed I will do a sound clip. I made some good progress today on the radiator .

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I inquired with PNM and they confirmed that he could probably ship 5 of these exhausts for little more than he could ship 1. I will post up if there could be some savings and check interest. A few people have reached out.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I took some pictures today of my exhaust and will try to upload tomorrow. Once I get my radiator installed I will do a sound clip. I made some good progress today on the radiator .
Just curious what was the outcome on the exhaust install? Any pics, video, or sound clips?

·
Registered
495 Posts
I would suggest a stainless fat exhaust in the "sileced" (not) version from uicksilver in the UK: It's snarly, roars, can be driven without being too antisocial and it pops on the overrun.
It sounds very good, also when idleing, which sounds like a v8. Very potent.
Regarding the power, I did some things to my car, and this have been able to live up to that, so there's no restriction in it powerwise.
On full song, away from inhabited areas, it sounds really good.
The version they have without a silencer (very small silencer), is wayyy too loud. Bibs over at the other forum had one of those years ago, and it's extreme. Not for me - too loud. But this silenced version brings out the best in the car - power and soundwise.
It's been on my Esprit Turbo SE now, for over 10 years, and it have lasted perfectly. No cracks, no leaks, no nothing.
And it's really not expensive.
There are discounts to be had.
The only problem I've had, was the right hand side, exhaust hanger, a detatchable exhaust bracket, which broke, so I had it welded. And Quicksilver now makes a better version of that bracket.
It's easy to polish up once every Winter, so it's ready to scare the living daylights out of every porsche and bmw owner the following spring.
Really, it sounds great and is very light and gives power. Especially if you also tune your car.
I later on added a free flowing cat and an alunox exhaust manifold, and it really makes it more snarly. Super satisfied. And as I said can bring you to church every Sunday, without being too offensive. And it looks very sporty and purposefull. I have one pipe each side. Can be had with just one pipe on either side. Just call them and configure if you want. Blows a little bit more on the right side, because of bent tubing. Again, very light system. Length on tips can be adjusted or taken off completely.
Recommended.
Cheers,
Redfox

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QuickSilver_LO_Espirit_-_BOX_-_RH_Tip_400x400.jpg

This one looks light weight and tasty for the 4 cyl. ~$700. Hmmm I wonder if I could get one shipped to the US for that.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Of course for half the cost...this one is appealing as well

6559-s4exhaustb_1-0-1-800x800.jpg

I think I have decided I am going to experiment with a small light weight straight thru for $100 and have the local exhaust shop hack it in. In the next few months I will get this done and post some sound and my thoughts.

·
Car Adicted
250 Posts
Just curious what was the outcome on the exhaust install? Any pics, video, or sound clips?
Let me see what I can do to show the exhaust and try and post a clip of it running. It definitely has pops at time and is knarley sounding. It might be too loud for some, but really not for me. I have a guy down the street, which I might have said, so excuse me if I have, that has a 570S McLaren and guess who's car his kid thinks sounds better? I think that whatever decision is made that if you can Cat delete your car you will see a quicker spool up of the turbo and a quicker response. The car feels lighter and more responsive to part throttle inputs. There are certainly better authority's on here than myself.........but I certainly know that the car feels more responsive and quicker.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts