The Lotus Cars Community banner

41 - 60 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Will the S260 possibly break the 80K barrier? That would be scary.

Lance, Gotham tune!!! My local dealership here has no problem with them :)
Anyone care to speculate on the possible price spread between the S 240 and S 260 - $5,000? I mean they have to have some distance between the two to make them distinct.

Also, I think Charliex may have hinted at this way earlier in the thread, and Abe said the petrol tank would be different. Anyone have an idea of what that change would mean? New materials or just smaller?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Any ideas if the S260 is confirmed for 09'?
Yes, it has been "confirmed." See Abe's previous post #26. All we know is what has been posted in this thread, but more info should follow, maybe by November.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Ok, the S260 is said to be some 200 lbs lighter than the current Exige due to CF bits, fuel tank, and likely other yet undisclosed mods, say wheels, etc. I added up the weight savings from a few CF parts and a few guesses and I cannot figure out how they can get even close to -200 lbs out of this car! I know the A/C is a lot of weight, but I seriously doubt that will be deleted with the so very few (3, I think) that were ordered without it (and I am not really interested in a street car without it anyway if that is the case).

Can anyone shed some light on how you think this can be accomplished? :shrug:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ok, the S260 is said to be some 200 lbs lighter than the current Exige due to CF bits, fuel tank, and likely other yet undisclosed mods, say wheels, etc. I added up the weight savings from a few CF parts and a few guesses and I cannot figure out how they can get even close to -200 lbs out of this car! I know the A/C is a lot of weight, but I seriously doubt that will be deleted with the so very few (3, I think) that were ordered without it (and I am not really interested in a street car without it anyway if that is the case).

I have heard that the S260 is the replacement of the S240.

Would love to upgrade my S1 to an S260, your news is great, would you mind to tell us where did you got that?

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
I have heard that the S260 is the replacement of the S240.

Would love to upgrade my S1 to an S260, your news is great, would you mind to tell us where did you got that?

There will be a 240 for '09 and you will have the option to choose a different color interior.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

200 does seem difficult. Perhaps that will be in Cup Car 260s only?

The only way seems to be massive amounts of carbon fiber, such as clam and doors. Seems that would put the price through the roof,

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
200 does seem difficult. Perhaps that will be in Cup Car 260s only?

The only way seems to be massive amounts of carbon fiber, such as clam and doors. Seems that would put the price through the roof,
I don't think carbon fiber is that much lighter than the current body, but I could be wrong.

You have the top of the line lambo's and they are only shedding off 100lbs or so with a car that weighs much more making the diet a small percentage.

Shedding 200lbs would be quite the engineering feet. I could see shedding 50 to 75 though.

·
Registered
584 Posts
There will be a 240 for '09 and you will have the option to choose a different color interior.
That sounds cool! :up:

200 does seem difficult. Perhaps that will be in Cup Car 260s only? The only way seems to be massive amounts of carbon fiber, such as clam and doors. Seems that would put the price through the roof,
It will be slightly less for the Cup Car due to lack of air bags, but the street version will be close. I would not expect doors and clams in CF - that would be a surprise.

I don't think carbon fiber is that much lighter than the current body, but I could be wrong. You have the top of the line lambo's and they are only shedding off 100lbs or so with a car that weighs much more making the diet a small percentage.

Shedding 200lbs would be quite the engineering feet. I could see shedding 50 to 75 though.
75 lbs is about all I came up with also. Stumped. :shrug:

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think carbon fiber is that much lighter than the current body, but I could be wrong.

You have the top of the line lambo's and they are only shedding off 100lbs or so with a car that weighs much more making the diet a small percentage.

RED Motorsport has a CF Clam Kit which would bring the weight down by approx. 110lbs. With all the other known weight reductions like exhaust, battery, fuel tank, wheels etc I could imagine it would be possible but expensive.

·
shay2nak
24,937 Posts
sounds like the weight saving kit would be for the Cup 260. It will be expensive to drop 200lbs, even 100lbs will be $$$$$.

·
Registered
11,221 Posts
You gotta ask where this weight is coming from.

So you can leave the car without the touring pack and save 15 lbs.

You can't really lighten the wheels or the exhaust because they're both very, very light as it is (yes, even the Exhaust).

A CF roof could shed 10-12 lbs. A CF engine lid or lighter engine lid? That engine lid is heavy...

Battery? How much weight can you really shed from that?

There really is no weight to be shed anywhere else while keeping the car streetable. I highly doubt they'll use a lot of CF because it is expensive. I am extremely skeptical about all this weight-savings talk...That must be related to the Cup Car.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You gotta ask where this weight is coming from.

So you can leave the car without the touring pack and save 15 lbs.

You can't really lighten the wheels or the exhaust because they're both very, very light as it is (yes, even the Exhaust).

A CF roof could shed 10-12 lbs. A CF engine lid or lighter engine lid? That engine lid is heavy...

Battery? How much weight can you really shed from that?

There really is no weight to be shed anywhere else while keeping the car streetable. I highly doubt they'll use a lot of CF because it is expensive. I am extremely skeptical about all this weight-savings talk...That must be related to the Cup Car.

Lets add this up:
Exhaust = 10-15 pounds. Perhaps more if you are creative
Panel = 5 pounds. Eliminate
Battery = 10-15 pounds
Stereo with speakers = ~15 pounds (estimate)
Side mirrors = 1-3 pounds
Seats = 10-15 pounds (very expensive to do, though)
CF Access panels = 5 pounds?
CF top = 5-10 pounds
CF wing - 5 pounds??
CF clams/doors = 50-100 pounds (very expensive, although perhaps not so bad when economies of scale are factored in. Does CF require more labor than fiberglass?)
Wheels = Maybe 5 pounds, but they're already feather weight.
Fuel tank = how much weight is saved there???

200 appears possible if you add all that up, but I would have a hard time thinking there is less than $10k in materials there.

41 - 60 of 114 Posts