The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first owner of my car installed a HKS nav pro v ECU and now that HKS has gone out of buisness in the US I can't get it tuned. I have been talking with jotech in Garland and they suggest I wait and see if HKS comes back in some form to allow tuning. I almost had them talked into swaping it for a motec but they said they didn't have time to design a wiring harness. I guess when you are putting $90k kits on nissan gt-rs I'm not going to be a priority. With my current tune I idle lean, run rich, can't pass inspection, and am still running about the same as stock HP with a turbo and a few other things.

Jotech doesn't seem to want my business and I don't know where else to go, any info on what you use and who did the work would be greatly appriciated.

·
Registered
490 Posts
The first owner of my car installed a HKS nav pro v ECU and now that HKS has gone out of buisness in the US I can't get it tuned. I have been talking with jotech in Garland and they suggest I wait and see if HKS comes back in some form to allow tuning. I almost had them talked into swaping it for a motec but they said they didn't have time to design a wiring harness. I guess when you are putting $90k kits on nissan gt-rs I'm not going to be a priority. With my current tune I idle lean, run rich, can't pass inspection, and am still running about the same as stock HP with a turbo and a few other things.

Jotech doesn't seem to want my business and I don't know where else to go, any info on what you use and who did the work would be greatly appriciated.
Most people that are running a standalone ECU are going with an EFI unit. There are plenty of people that have experience with those ECUs and you can even adjust settings yourself after reading up on it a bit. That being said, you aren't going to pass inspection in Texas either way if you don't have your factory ECU connected (either paralleled with your standalone for OBDII functionality or reflashed for your tune).

As for your current ECU: why can't you make changes to it yourself or take it to a local shop that has experience with HKS units and get them to tweak it? Why does HKS themselves have to be the one doing the tuning?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HKS can only be tuned by an authorized dealer, and there were two in dfw. They do this by requiring a usb key to be plugged into the computer running the tuning program, or you can't even open the program. When HKS went under they requested these keys back, and those that weren't returned HKS sent out an update and wiped the keys. This is how the tuner explained it to me. Oh, the HKS is a piggyback.

·
Registered
490 Posts
HKS can only be tuned by an authorized dealer, and there were two in dfw. They do this by requiring a usb key to be plugged into the computer running the tuning program, or you can't even open the program. When HKS went under they requested these keys back, and those that weren't returned HKS sent out an update and wiped the keys. This is how the tuner explained it to me. Oh, the HKS is a piggyback.
Oh wow talk about a headache. Don't you have the Hass turbo kit? There is a guy on here (kverges) who has a car with the Hass kit and he's tweaked a gReddy e-Manage piggyback to work with his car and, last time I checked, he said his car passed inspection. You might want to contact him and see if maybe he could send you his maps and you could try running with that piggyback.

From what I've read on here, though, trying to use piggybacks with our ECUs can be very frustrating, so most go an alternate route.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes this car has been a pain since I bought it in January. The car is great, but I didn't know what I was getting into with all the upgrades and extras when I bought it. I don't think the guy I bought it from did either. I think it is a Hass Kit not 100% sure but from what I have read about them it sounds very similar. I'll look into greddy emanage and see if I can talk to kverges. I've been researching and trying to hunt things down for almost a year now and made little progress. I'm just ready to hand it over to a reliable local shop and tell them to fix it all.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yes this car has been a pain since I bought it in January. The car is great, but I didn't know what I was getting into with all the upgrades and extras when I bought it. I don't think the guy I bought it from did either. I think it is a Hass Kit not 100% sure but from what I have read about them it sounds very similar. I'll look into greddy emanage and see if I can talk to kverges. I've been researching and trying to hunt things down for almost a year now and made little progress. I'm just ready to hand it over to a reliable local shop and tell them to fix it all.
I think I remember seeing a picture you posted and it looked like the intercooler from the Hass kit. If that is the case, kverges is your go-to guy. He has a ton of experience with those kits and could probably help steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I don't come here often and indeed I've run the eManage for years now and car passes inspection. EManage is not optimal, in that you cannot tune cam timing or lift, and the idle is sketchy due to very low MAF signal. That said it has been reliable and car has run well enough for my purposes. I have looked into EFI but all in it is more money than I want to spend on a $30k car and it does render the car, strictly speaking, not street legal.

Study my threads for more info, as there is a lot of detail. You a welcome to my wiring diagram and base maps for the Greddy if you go that route. This is non-trivial, and requires cutting and splicing many wires that go to ECU. There may now be a plug and play harness and if so I'd recommend it.

Tuning requires some knowledge and effort and I personally did it with 2 laptops, one to watch the factory ECU and another to log and tune the GReddy. You need to make sure that you don't mess up the adaptives n the factory ECU while tuning the Greddy or there can be some nasty consequences. I personally think some engines were destroyed by improper tuning.

PS also consult with Phil at BOE. He might be able to flash your ECU and resolve at least some of your issues.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts