The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know how, but I must have stood up too quickly from my chair, and now I have tremendous pain in my lower back. It's gone on for about an hour now, and seems to be getting worse. It hurts to stand, it hurts to sit, and I can barely walk. THe pain throbs a bit.

This is not good timing for me. I have a million things to do this week, to prepare for my major field expedition next week where I will be on intense hikes/climbs.

SO what do I do? I cant afford to be out of work right now. Should I go to a doctor, which will probably cost me an afternoon of time, or can someone suggest something I can do without taking a break. I am in pain, but I wont quit. Help.

·
Registered
6,802 Posts
MW,
Could be lots of things. I'd think minimum perhaps a pulled muscle. Try warm moist heat to the area like a tub soak. If your stomach can tolerate, I'd try an antiflammatory like Ibuprofen. For such injuries as that I take 800 mg. (otc ibuprofen is 200 mg eac cap. ) a couple times a day. If not significantly better in the am. see a doctor, or if it worsens, you get numbness tingling etc. see a doctor right away.
Hope this helps.

Chris

·
Registered
3,927 Posts
If it's that bad you'd better see a Doctor. More so that you'll be doing alot of walking shortly, last thing you'd need it to have it come back, best to find out now what's going on.

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
zvezdah1 said:
MW,
Could be lots of things. I'd think minimum perhaps a pulled muscle. Try warm moist heat to the area like a tub soak. If your stomach can tolerate, I'd try an antiflammatory like Ibuprofen. For such injuries as that I take 800 mg. (otc ibuprofen is 200 mg eac cap. ) a couple times a day. If not significantly better in the am. see a doctor, or if it worsens, you get numbness tingling etc. see a doctor right away.
Hope this helps.

Chris
You're better off taking ibuprofen in 4 divided doses, with food. Take at lease 600mg with food (food is very important.) Definitly see somebody promptly if you get numbness, tingling, peripheral weakness.
Does the pain radiate down one leg? Around your flank? Does it hava focal point? (a place that if you apply gentle pressure makes it feel better/worse?)

·
Registered
12,193 Posts
I get a lot of muscle pulls in TKD. That's what it sounds like. If I were you, I'd do exactly what chris says... super-hot bath, icy-hot or ben gay, maybe a wet heating pad, and a pain killer.

Make sure to stretch a little while heating it. Typically, indirect stretching is better for a pull, because direct stretching could tear the tissue more and make it worse. For the lower back, probably gentle twisting would be best, while you're applying heat.

If it's not a little better in the AM, see a doctor. These kind of pulls can easily take a week to fully heal, though. The most important thing is not to use the muscle more than you have to!

PS - Muscle pull standing up ?!? You're getting OOOOLLLLLDDDD !! :D

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
Hiking, backpacks, lifting anything heavier than a milk jug, etc are definitly NOT a good idea for the next few days at least. I know that's what you don't want to hear but it's what'll probably keep you from getting worse.

·
Registered
6,301 Posts
MW - I am adoctor, but a radiologist specializing in mammography/breast imaging. Sorry I don't think I can help with your back problem though:D

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just spent 4 hours in urgent care. I hate hospitals and being around sick people :(

I wasnt going to go, but while I was working in the lab, my boss phoned me to come to his office to fix his computer, when I kindly replied that I wouldnt be able to walk there. So he came into the lab, saw my condition, and ordered me to go to the hospital.

The doctor gave me some drugs and said I should be better in a few days...that there should be no problem hiking next week, but to take it easy in the meantime. I can still barely walk. What a strange day!

THe downside was missing a good 4 more hours of work that I needed to finish, and missing a talk and dinner with a guy that I invited to San Diego only for the day, a scientist I worked with while I was at Oxford. I'd been looking forward to his visit for months, and only had a chance to chat with him briefly in the morning.

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Lillie, sounds like you've got a pretty good boss ! Take care, rest up.

Cheers, Mike G.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts