The Lotus Cars Community banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any doubt that an Esprit is preferred as a long-term "keeper" versus the Buzzbomb?

After reading one fella's conniptions in regards to this matter earlier in the week... it just struck me as a basic no-brainer. :up:

What say ye?

:shift:

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
After reading one fella's conniptions in regards to this matter earlier in the week... it just struck me as a basic no-brainer. :up:

What say ye?

I've owned both, and I agree, if you're looking at a long term keeper the no-brainer is to keep buzzy and let someone else enjoy Esprit ownership.

Loved the Esprit, and mine was a mere 12 to 15 years old during my tenure of ownership, and I kept it in immaculate running condition.

If long term ownership means keeping it in the garage, just doing the odd weekend drive and local car shows and cruise-ins, maybe the Esprit.

But if you actually want to use the car on anything like a regular basis (not DD, but still accumulating some miles) then it's no competition. The expense of maintaining the Esprit, and the growing scarcity of some parts, means that if you're going to drive the car to the point things wear out and need replacing, the Esprit will drive you into the ground.

I used my car fairly often, putting about 40K miles on it in just over 3 years. I set aside basically one weekend a month to completely go over it trying to head off problems before they arose, and even then, issues would pop up. Some of them quite pricey. I could not have afforded to own the car if I had to pay anyone to do the basic maintenance of oil/fluids, brakes, shocks, and the ever present odd electrical glitch.

If you're going to actually use the car over that 'long term,' Buzzy would be my keeper. Buzzy IS my keeper.

Where I live, I know of a couple dozen Esprits sitting in peoples' garages...ranging from G-bodied to late V8's. For the most part, they are garage queens. Some because people simply are afraid to get them dirty, others don't feel like racking up the miles and doing the maintenance. The cars only show up at meets, and even then not so often. There's the rare one that tracks the car, but he's the exception, not the rule.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
I've owned both, and I agree, if you're looking at a long term keeper the no-brainer is to keep buzzy and let someone else enjoy Esprit ownership.
I think you misread dickedup, although I can't imagine how with buzzbomb and hoople :rolleyes:. Although I haven't read the other fella's conniptions, d.u. appears to be saying that the Esprit is the long term keeper, not the buzzbomb. [email protected], I just typed that twice :wallbang:. Sorry if I'm mistaken.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think that the Esprit will become much more collectable compadre!

Loved the Esprit, and mine was a mere 12 to 15 years old during my tenure of ownership, and I kept it in immaculate running condition.

If long term ownership means keeping it in the garage, just doing the odd weekend drive and local car shows and cruise-ins, maybe the Esprit.

But if you actually want to use the car on anything like a regular basis (not DD, but still accumulating some miles) then it's no competition. The expense of maintaining the Esprit, and the growing scarcity of some parts, means that if you're going to drive the car to the point things wear out and need replacing, the Esprit will drive you into the ground.

I used my car fairly often, putting about 40K miles on it in just over 3 years. I set aside basically one weekend a month to completely go over it trying to head off problems before they arose, and even then, issues would pop up. Some of them quite pricey. I could not have afforded to own the car if I had to pay anyone to do the basic maintenance of oil/fluids, brakes, shocks, and the ever present odd electrical glitch.

If you're going to actually use the car over that 'long term,' Buzzy would be my keeper. Buzzy IS my keeper.

Where I live, I know of a couple dozen Esprits sitting in peoples' garages...ranging from G-bodied to late V8's. For the most part, they are garage queens. Some because people simply are afraid to get them dirty, others don't feel like racking up the miles and doing the maintenance. The cars only show up at meets, and even then not so often. There's the rare one that tracks the car, but he's the exception, not the rule.
No doubt that with it's Toyota powertrain lil' Buzzy will not keep their owners up all night with the cold sweats. As a frequent driver it just may be superior to an Esprit.

Interestingly enough though... I drive my '99 Esprit at least twice a week and she works like a hose. Have owned her for well over 5 years now and have had zero issues. This could just be the God's of British Sports Car Ownership smiling down on me after all those years of abject torture! :eek:

You keep any older example of English Engineering as a garage queen and you're asking for trouble.

:D

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lotusforsale knew what I was writing amigo!

I think you misread dickedup, although I can't imagine how with buzzbomb and hoople :rolleyes:. Although I haven't read the other fella's conniptions, d.u. appears to be saying that the Esprit is the long term keeper, not the buzzbomb. [email protected], I just typed that twice :wallbang:. Sorry if I'm mistaken.
Don't allow the verbage to hurt you so. :eek:

rotfl

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
D.U.,

Sad thing is I've almost gotten to the point where I don't need to translate you in my head first :D.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Now THAT is just a very sad staement compadre!

D.U.,

Sad thing is I've almost gotten to the point where I don't need to translate you in my head first :D.
Sounds like you need an intervention. Maybe some of The Crazy Rabid and Keepers of the Fu here on Dogpatch will capture you, take you to a local motel... and deprogram you! -poke-

What year Esprit did you have?

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
While there's usually a high correlation between a car that you <b>want to drive</b> and a car that's <b>collectible</b>, I focus exclusively on the former and don't really care much about the latter. But that's just me.

OTOH, I'm not unhappy that my 993 Turbo seems to be "collectible". :shrug:

EDIT: If you own a car for 14 years, does that make it a keeper?

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
While there's usually a high correlation between a car that you <b>want to drive</b> and a car that's <b>collectible</b>, I focus exclusively on the former and don't really care much about the latter. But that's just me.

Not necessarily, it makes it 'Kept.'

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The age of the vehicle hardly makes it a collectible mister!

My question simple stated which Lotus would be the more desirable to have and to hold in the years to come. ;)

Both cars are a blast to drive.

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
Read it right...it was my feeble attempt at sarcasm and tweeking DU just a bit.

·
Registered
9,786 Posts
My question simple stated which Lotus would be the more desirable to have and to hold in the years to come. ;)

Both cars are a blast to drive.

Understood... my response indicated my definition of "desirable"...

Some may define "desirable" as "desirable by others", i.e. market value. I was just stating that my definition of "desirable" is "which would I rather drive, or take to the track"...

So while I've always liked the Esprit (it was on my short list back in '95 when I bought the Turbo), I'm planning on keeping Buzzy as long as I've kept my Turbo...

·
Registered
6,981 Posts
I personally don't like Esprits any more.

When I was younger I loved them. Had a Esprit poster on my wall as a teenager right next to the Heather Locklear poster. By the time I could actually afford a Lotus in my life, the Elise/Exige had made it to the U.S.A. and I found it to be - for me personally at least - a much better candidate for ownership. It performs better with less hassle plain and simple, it's design philosophy is much more in line with what I value, and it looks better to me as well.

But that's all my personal perspective. When asking which one is - or will prove to be in the long run - the better "keeper" we're talking about many other factors. Factors like collectability, maintainability, long-term ownership satisfaction, etc. Who can know which model will be the favorite twenty years from now? Not me.

xtn

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
It's pretty easy to see that the Esprit will be a better 'collector' car.

What's the point?

:confused:
_______
Is it just me, or did this trip go downhill since DickedUp showed up again

·
Registered
580 Posts
The value and appeal of the Esprit will likely be decided by what Lotus ends up doing with the new one. If it's a 500+ hp Supercar, the V8 and S* Esprits will likely suffer a hit in both departments. They'll always be "classics", but likely not as sought after as they traditionally have been.

However, if they turn it into a farce, which I'm far from convinced they won't, the Esprit V8 will likely join the ranks of the F40 and XJ220, not so much in scale, but in "why don't they build them like this anymore".

That said, I wouldn't say the Elise/Exige is any less of a "keeper". It's a different kind of car for different kinds of driving, and no less "wantable" than the Esprit, marginal engine or no.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is it a keeper, hell yes! 103K+ and still in use as a daily driver.
The car has been around a long time but still gets complimentary comments when out and about. Fully restored and it can hold it's own with anybody.
I've had my 89 for 17 years and do not see any reason to give it up.
It's still fun to drive and yes it does take a bit more to keep up, as any 20 something year old car would.
Best thing is, you don't see them as often which makes it just a bit more special than those produced in large quantity, in my book.
It really comes down to what you like and the heck with the others.

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You know hombre... never nicknamed the Esprit!

Hey, DU... do you have a nickname for the Esprit? How about "doorstop"... -poke-
Thought the "doorstop" was that old TR-7 / 8? :confused:

·
Banned
1,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Find the very same to be true compadre!

Is it a keeper, hell yes! 103K+ and still in use as a daily driver.
The car has been around a long time but still gets complimentary comments when out and about. Fully restored and it can hold it's own with anybody.
I've had my 89 for 17 years and do not see any reason to give it up.
It's still fun to drive and yes it does take a bit more to keep up, as any 20 something year old car would.
Best thing is, you don't see them as often which makes it just a bit more special than those produced in large quantity, in my book.
It really comes down to what you like and the heck with the others.
Have under 60,000 miles on my "98 and she still gets after it with no problem. Looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor too boot. :up:

The Esprit is a character with all it's odd "borrowed" parts from the automotive world's parts bins. At it's heart though it is pure Lotus all the way. The addition of a little French flair with the tranny being the major exception of course. Also love that the engine was designed and built in England.

What can I say? Never really dug the Buzzer's Rice-a-Roni lump with it's goofy powerband. Don't even get me started on the body design!

1 - 20 of 84 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.