The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Evora '10
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Had Moroso oil plan on Evora NA and just installed BOE headers and finding there is extremely little clearance between exhaust and side of oil pan (0.33 MM). BOE hadn't heard of any feedback for this combo so checking if anyone else has had experience and if so, how did you resolve?

I don't see way to 'move things' so can leave and monitor (I did ceramic coat from Swain Tech so that will reduce heat transfer). Can have pan notched, pain. Or go back to stock. On stock I found a baffled insert from Wilhelm Raceworks that looks interesting but no feedback/comments from others that I could find (though he does post some interesting oil pressure performance testing results).

I don't know what other oil pan brands are out there, Moroso clearly looks like the most popular. I want to do occasional track days and hence the extra safety goal.

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
I found that the engine mounts flex enough that my 2bular Headers hit the belly pan where I had filled in the factory openings.
See Post #46 : https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/2bular-na-evora-exhaust-system-117564/index3.html
There was clearance when standing still, but it banged when accelerating and decelerating.
I had to dome the filled in patch to clear and allow movement, so I would worry about your header hitting the oil pan.

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
I found that the engine mounts flex enough that my 2bular Headers hit the belly pan where I had filled in the factory openings.
See Post #46 : https://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f170/2bular-na-evora-exhaust-system-117564/index3.html
There was clearance when standing still, but it banged when accelerating and decelerating.
I had to dome the filled in patch to clear and allow movement, so I would worry about your header hitting the oil pan.
Your problem is different from this one. The engine and headers will flex as 1 unit on his car. Yours the undertray is stationary.

I would modify something in the OPs case. The moroso oil pan is aluminum any rubbing that takes place will put a hole in the pan eventually.

As for your gap .3mm is feeler gauge distance. You sure it's not more?

·
Evora '10
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes I did measure with feeler gauge. Yes this is in relationship to the oil pan... Given the reference you had Bobsy Racer, I will reinstall the undertray as well to see if any other challenges come to light.

I can take the pan off and have it notched. It is next to the corner edge as you can see in the picture. Need to also find someone in north dallas area. I liked the 'simplicity' of the Wilhelm Raceworks solution I just don't know about the reliability.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes I did measure with feeler gauge. Yes this is in relationship to the oil pan... Given the reference you had Bobsy Racer, I will reinstall the undertray as well to see if any other challenges come to light.

I can take the pan off and have it notched. It is next to the corner edge as you can see in the picture. Need to also find someone in north dallas area. I liked the 'simplicity' of the Wilhelm Raceworks solution I just don't know about the reliability.
I'm in the north Dallas Area, what are you looking for?

·
Registered
2011 Evora NA 6sp
617 Posts
Based on that bit if information.i would definitely have something done.

As for the boe headers and the under tray, you will have to open that up too. The boe under tray would be a nice addition as it will help keep things cool

·
Administrator
2010 Exige S260
2,214 Posts
That's virtually no space in between, that header will be hot enough to get the oil pan warm...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The moroso pan gets very hot on its own, but the headers will definitely increase that. FWIW, my early-run 2bular headers didn't clear the moroso pan at all and required some modification of the radius to get it to clear, and even then it was tight.

Given how close that one is, I would worry that as parts expand (namely the headers) with heat, you might get contact. I am sure Phil will weigh in.

I also had to dome out my undertray on the 2bular headers-these are likely better but I would check clearance.

·
Evora '10
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in the north Dallas Area, what are you looking for?
Given where the conversation heading, looks like I'll need someone good at aluminum metal work and welder (think TIG) to notch the pan. Open to referrals. I'm actually in Richardson.

Still interested in feedback on the Wilhelm Raceworks option, he has baffle kit that goes inside the stock oil pan (though being the stock pan already has more clearance).

Aside, have seen the new BOE vented under tray, that looks like very useful upgrade in Texas heat, its only money!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Given where the conversation heading, looks like I'll need someone good at aluminum metal work and welder (think TIG) to notch the pan. Open to referrals. I'm actually in Richardson.
Cool, I'll ping my buddy and see if he's interested in helping.

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts

Take it to Regogo Racing/Sports Car World on Butler.

·
Illegal Alien
5,140 Posts

Still interested in feedback on the Wilhelm Raceworks option, he has baffle kit that goes inside the stock oil pan (though being the stock pan already has more clearance).

Aside, have seen the new BOE vented under tray, that looks like very useful upgrade in Texas heat, its only money!
I use the old Lotus Motorsport baffled aluminum pan. I see Lotus now uses the Toyo steel pan with modified with internal baffles on the GT430, this should be available for sale.

Attachments

·
Registered
288 Posts

PM'd.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts