The Lotus Cars Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 05 Elise in December, and it came with a new set of Advan Fleva V701 tires, 195/45/ZR16 front and 225/45/ZR17 rears. The previous owner used it for street only, and was looking for a quiet set of tires. When I bought the car, I put a set of Continental DWS06 all-season tires on to drive it back from FL to IN in December. I'm getting ready to mount the Advan Flevas on a spare set of stock wheels, and wanted to see if anyone has used them and has thoughts on how they behave on street or track? I'll be mostly street, but a few track days / year (I'm also brand new to HPDEs). My car is stock, with stock (non LSS) wheels and suspension (upgraded Inokinetic DSBrace toe link). I've thought a bit about upgrading to AO52s or R888Rs for track days, though the Continental DWS 06s or Advan Flevas will probably serve me well enough until I get more experience. I might try both the DWS 06's and Advan Fleva's on some track or autocross days before upgrading.
Thanks!

·
The Man
121 Posts
I looked at these tires as well and the comments/tests floating around the internet weren't complimentary on their performance vs similar tires. However, they were said to be quiet.

·
Registered
2005 Lotus Elise
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@MCD007 , I also looked and saw that the recommended rim width is 6”-7.5” for the 195/45/R16 Advan Flevas, and thus isn't exactly compatible with the base 5.5”x16” front wheels. Also the diameter on the 195/45/R16 is 2.6% smaller. I don’t know if that is enough of a difference to mess with the ABS computer? If anyone with more knowledge on ABS could chime in, I would be interested. Yokohama’s website lists a 195/50/R16, but Tire Rack doesn’t carry it.

Now i’m leaning towards getting different tires, and trying to decide between the AD07s (which according to listings for those tires on Eliseparts.com stopped production in 2018), or the A052s on the base wheels. Or get wider LSS wheels or Team Dynamics Pro 1.2 (16x7”, 17x8”) wheels and then consider the normally discussed selections. I’ve seen some comments that the narrow base wheels aren’t ideal with stickier 195/45/R16 tires?

So, a few new questions:
  • Does anyone know for sure if AD07 production is ended? Are 2018 production tires old enough to forgo them if I’m otherwise interested in experiencing the base car as was originally intended and the enjoyable street handling of the AD07s on base wheels? (LSS vs. Base suspension-finally, some answers)
  • Thoughts on a pretty-grippy tire like R888R or A052 on base wheels vs wider wheels? (or link to thread with more than a cursory mention)?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts